Eating Out.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:25 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Tried "Viva Espana" on Winter Hey Lane in Chorley a week or two ago. Not cheap, but not bad. Just don't order the one with the steak as a dish name. First time I've ever seen a fifty pence-sized piece of meat called a "steak". Oh, and they had no champinones ( mushrooms) on the night we went. That didn't go down too well with me either.

The Manchester La Tasca on Deansgate wasn't at all bad when I used to go there at lunchtimes, but none of them can hold a candle to El Rincon de Rafa. You want tapas (or a meal for that matter) it's the tops (bad pun) :oops:
There's a Viva Espana on Winter Hey lane in Horwich, too!
Ooops, I meant Horwich. Got carried away. :oops:
I've mentioned thes before but Enfield has a fantastic Spanish restaurant which does wonderful Tapas. It's called Quixote's. There is also La Paella on Southgate circus which is as good.

I have wanted to try Viva Espana for some time. Might give it a go next time I'm up.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:39 am

Tomorrow, after an evening with Mr Lloyd Cole, we're off to the Olive Press on Nelson's Square. Narr then, I've heard differing reports about this place so has anyone been recently? Went to Heathcotes place in Manchester a few weeks ago and it was decent enough without being remarkable.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Tomorrow, after an evening with Mr Lloyd Cole, we're off to the Olive Press on Nelson's Square. Narr then, I've heard differing reports about this place so has anyone been recently? Went to Heathcotes place in Manchester a few weeks ago and it was decent enough without being remarkable.
Here you go Bruce, your virtual tour: http://www.sugarvine.com/lancashire/min ... rant=37959
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:17 am

Cheers Tango. Do we know if the nosebag and the vino selection pass muster though? One complaint I've heard is that everything gets served with a large order of surly attitude.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Tomorrow, after an evening with Mr Lloyd Cole, we're off to the Olive Press on Nelson's Square. Narr then, I've heard differing reports about this place so has anyone been recently? Went to Heathcotes place in Manchester a few weeks ago and it was decent enough without being remarkable.
Awful! The one in Manchester ain't too bad, the one in Bolton is bleedin' awful.

Hope it's changed for you mate, but they've lost my custom been twice both times as bad as the other.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:04 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
Awful! The one in Manchester ain't too bad, the one in Bolton is bleedin' awful.

Hope it's changed for you mate, but they've lost my custom been twice both times as bad as the other.
I concur with DLH been twice and both times the service was shocking, the food overly pretentious and not very nice if truth be told, and everything was overpriced for no reason.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 pm

Oh blimey. This isn't looking very good is it?! One thing I remember from the Manchester one is everything, regardless of what it was, came with a bale of rocket. Is this one the same?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Cheers Tango. Do we know if the nosebag and the vino selection pass muster though? One complaint I've heard is that everything gets served with a large order of surly attitude.
Only seen the place Bruce, never dined there. Location, centre of Loonyville at nights, puts me off most town-centre eateries these days. An age thing I guess. For future reference, I have heard good reports about the Carvery that used to be The Watergate, off Plodder Lane in Farnworth.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Cannot recall if I'm honest Bruce, I have a feeling I was driven to drink by the trauma of the experience both times, but as BWFCi said service is terrible, and the food ain't that good.

I'd get the table cancelled and get yourself out for a curry instead :mrgreen: , now there I can recommend a good curry house not too fair from the town hall

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:38 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Cannot recall if I'm honest Bruce, I have a feeling I was driven to drink by the trauma of the experience both times, but as BWFCi said service is terrible, and the food ain't that good.
Cheers guys. Which curry house, DLH? See, I've got to thinking that I'll probably have had a good few ales after the gig so probably won't be all that fussed about the food. However, shite service and me on a few ales are definitley not good bedfellows. :oops: :whack:

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:Cannot recall if I'm honest Bruce, I have a feeling I was driven to drink by the trauma of the experience both times, but as BWFCi said service is terrible, and the food ain't that good.
Cheers guys. Which curry house, DLH? See, I've got to thinking that I'll probably have had a good few ales after the gig so probably won't be all that fussed about the food. However, shite service and me on a few ales are definitley not good bedfellows. :oops: :whack:
http://www.achari-restaurant.co.uk

Strongly recommend this place, up near the train station (I think it's officially the best Indian I've ever been to) - in what used to be the academy. Not 100% certain how late its open but if definately worth it, you'll probably have to book as well, tends to get pretty busy on a Friday and Saturday.

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:56 pm

At the risk of making myself unpopular, I've been there a few times and enjoyed it every time. Service was good to.
Don't call it a comeback

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:58 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:
http://www.achari-restaurant.co.uk

Strongly recommend this place, up near the train station (I think it's officially the best Indian I've ever been to) - in what used to be the academy. Not 100% certain how late its open but if definately worth it, you'll probably have to book as well, tends to get pretty busy on a Friday and Saturday.
Not eaten there but I often catch the bus at the rear of it. It used to be the Gay nightclub across from Trinity Church. If the smells are anything to go by, then the meal should be something else. Looks a decent proposition and parking shouldn't be a problem. Failing that, Trinity Steet black-cabs are only across the road beside the station.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Rated R Superstar wrote:
At the risk of making myself unpopular, I've been there a few times and enjoyed it every time. Service was good to.
Its all a matter of opinion isn't it?

The times I went the service was unforgiveable and the food not very nice and clearly by putting a sprig of rocket on everything let them charge £5 more than everything was worth.

However, I have heard other people who enjoyed it there. Perhaps I picked a couple of bad times to go.....

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Rated R Superstar wrote:
Its all a matter of opinion isn't it?

The times I went the service was unforgiveable and the food not very nice and clearly by putting a sprig of rocket on everything let them charge £5 more than everything was worth.

However, I have heard other people who enjoyed it there. Perhaps I picked a couple of bad times to go.....
It is. And there's nothing worse than going for a meal and it being terrible.

I agree that they do seem to like the 'rocket with everything' approach. :shock:
Don't call it a comeback

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: Not eaten there but I often catch the bus at the rear of it. It used to be the Gay nightclub across from Trinity Church. If the smells are anything to go by, then the meal should be something else. Looks a decent proposition and parking shouldn't be a problem. Failing that, Trinity Steet black-cabs are only across the road beside the station.
TD if you get a chance I strongly recommend going. The foods really good, massive portions and very reasonably priced. if you're not too certain what you want ask the guys who work there and they'll always recommend a good curry, and be honest to you.

They actually know me fairly well and I've order before now and been told I won't like what I'm ordering (too mild too much corriander etc..etc). They even put a bit less corriander in my curries for me :mrgreen:

Jesus wrong time of day to be typing this, I'm god damn starving now :evil:

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:16 pm

I wasn't impressed with the Olive Press either. Ordinary, overpriced food and they got the bill wrong.

The Achari is good - a bit different to the usual Indian fayre. I go to the Sunar Gaw a lot and can't fault it. Decent grub, prices and service and you can look soppily across the road to where Burnden Park used to be.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:52 pm

warthog wrote:I wasn't impressed with the Olive Press either. Ordinary, overpriced food and they got the bill wrong.

The Achari is good - a bit different to the usual Indian fayre. I go to the Sunar Gaw a lot and can't fault it. Decent grub, prices and service and you can look soppily across the road to where Burnden Park used to be.
Not to shanghai the topic at all, but, wife shops a lot at Manchester Road Asda. On the odd (very odd) occasions I get dragged along with her, it seems so strange looking at that area now and trying to visualise what it was. I can easily make mental pictures of the crowds pouring over Orlando Bridge and having a pint in the King Bill (now a print firm owned by Mystry Brothers) before crossing over to Burnden, but actually being on Manchester Road it just seems to float away somehow, like it was all just in my immagination.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:55 pm

warthog wrote:I go to the Sunar Gaw a lot and can't fault it. Decent grub, prices and service and you can look soppily across the road to where Burnden Park used to be.
Been a couple of times to the Sunar Gaw and was very impressed on both occasions. My curry house rule (Curry Mile excepted) is that the further they are away from the main drag then the better they have to be to attract custom.

Right, I'll report back on Sunday regarding how we get on at the Olive Press.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Is the Indian on Westhoughton's Market Street still going? (forgotten the name) That used to be a very decent place at one time? Also, surprisingly, The Royal Balti House in Farnworth I've had a good meal in the past at too.