Fuel Protest - Manchester

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Fuel Protest - Manchester

Post by malcd1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Just been sent this email regarding a fuel protest in Manchester on Thursday 5th June (Sorry not applicable to you southern softies :wink: ). Hauliers have my full support with ridiculous price of petrol after all most of us have experienced the same price hikes. But what do they expect to gain from disrupting the general public. :crazy:

At 0700 hrs on Thursday 5th June 2008 - elements of the road haulage industry, motorcyclists and others will mount a "go slow" road protest, gathering at Birch services (M62) they will travel towards Manchester joining the M60 at Simister island.

The cavalcade will travel M60 anti clockwise towards Worsley / Eccles interchange,were they will join the M602 towards Manchester.

At the end of the motorway they intend to disperse.

The riders are expected to gather at Birch services on the M62 near Middleton before starting their protest at 8am.

They expect to be joined by a fleet of lorries and taxis, whose drivers are also concerned about the fuel tax.

The cavalcade will head down the motorway to Salford Quays, but some of the riders will head down major roads into Manchester.

Due to the likely speed of the convoy , and the time of its movement it is anticipated that journey times into work will be extended.

GMP will be mounting an operation to manage and police the above event

Ian Hunt MSc,
Trafford Division Intelligence Unit.
Stretford Police Station,
Talbot Road,
Stretford.
M32 0XB.

Moriarty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Moriarty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:38 pm

wouldnt be better to protest in london.

Stop the politicians from getting to work, they are unlikely to be bothered about some lorries in manchester if it doesnt interrupt their schedule.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Moriarty wrote:wouldnt be better to protest in london.

Stop the politicians from getting to work, they are unlikely to be bothered about some lorries in manchester if it doesnt interrupt their schedule.
they did last week

they also did Cornwall

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:12 pm

Or you could argue 'why should people's lives be disrupted by wealthy right-leaning businessmen seeking a tax cut to help fund their comfortable lifestyles?'

It's the oil companies, folks, not the Government

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Not entirely the OPEC companies, the tax we pay on fuel is the highest in Europe I think.

Fuel is to expensive to drive to work & the public transport sytem can't cope with the current amount of traffic. Lets face it we're screwd
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Whilst I'm in agreement that fuel prices are silly at the moment, it always amuses me that they organise a protest aginst this by using their vehicles...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:37 pm

yes it's the government's fault that crude has doubled in price in the last year, They've added no additional tax in the last year, having put off the proposed 2p increase. :roll: There's a shortage of fuel due to the amount in the ground, teh ability to pump it and refine it. Then there's a whole host of other factors not least speculators on the commodities markets that have pushed the price up.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:12 pm

The government have little need to add any duty to fuel, seeing as they're raking in many millions on the VAT that the oil price increases have brought in anyway.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:16 pm

blurred wrote:The government have little need to add any duty to fuel, seeing as they're raking in many millions on the VAT that the oil price increases have brought in anyway.
What I think takes the piss is we pay VAT on the duty as well rather than just the fuel.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:03 pm

blurred wrote:The government have little need to add any duty to fuel, seeing as they're raking in many millions on the VAT that the oil price increases have brought in anyway.
That's because car/lorry drivers are an easy target. We all know we need to be driving less as we are polluting the air but only the rich will be able to drive soon.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:42 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
What I think takes the piss is we pay VAT on the duty as well rather than just the fuel.
you can bet the fuel protrester haulier types claim the vat back.

having a 'march' or whatever , when normal folk pay full whack... jesus , i might get me violin out .

plus i'll bet theyre all members of that premier allstar club or whatever for that extra 10% off .

they'll be moaning their pensions are shit next.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:48 pm

a1 wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:
you can bet the fuel protrester haulier types claim the vat back.

having a 'march' or whatever , when normal folk pay full whack... jesus , i might get me violin out .

plus i'll bet theyre all members of that premier allstar club or whatever for that extra 10% off .

Dont be a total tool!! if the price of fuel increase so does the price you, your mrs or anyone who shops goes up too, or try adding fuel surcharges per person per flight for your jollys and a very keen extra kilo baggage sir that will be £*** please. The taxi fare to and from airport, need anymore or are you one of the tree huggers who should be target practise for the army?
Last edited by Hoboh on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:48 pm

a1 wrote:you can bet the fuel protrester haulier types claim the vat back.

Seriously, can someone find me a bigger rolleyes emoticon than the one we already have please? There is no way the current one can honestly convey my feelings on this post.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:22 pm

FD wrote:
a1 wrote:you can bet the fuel protrester haulier types claim the vat back.

Seriously, can someone find me a bigger rolleyes emoticon than the one we already have please? There is no way the current one can honestly convey my feelings on this post.
I think a1's point was that the protestors are making out that they're hard done to when they actually get a better deal than the rest of us.
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:10 pm

yep lorry drivers well worth our sympathy.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -fuel.html

now let's just make these points clear...

minimum starting salary £32k
average salary £36k
offered 6%
want 13%
inflation 3%

and these two....

Ron Webb, Unite's national officer, who said last week that food price rises and the spiralling cost of living should be reflected in the salaries, attacked Shell's "stratospheric profits".

Tony Woodley, the union's joint general secretary, described the level of profits in the oil industry as "obscene".

yeah, well done chaps, witter about a company that doesn't actually employ these guys, oh yeah guys who earn about £10k more than a fireman and a load more than a nurse.

Tont Woodley, cockney, was on R5Live this evening saying he wanted "the skills and pressure" his members were under reflected in their salaries. I'm not sure a pay cut is what they'd want myself.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Tony Woodley's not a cockney - he lives across the road from me (in a nice house with 2 large cars on his drive!) and I'm fairly certain he was born on the Wirral and has lived there all his life.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:34 pm

communistworkethic wrote:yep lorry drivers well worth our sympathy.......

The Telegraph doing their usual stirling work in the field of journalism. Referring to possible strike action they refer to an unnamed scource from Unite - yeah right. Then directly quote the Union leaders when, presumably, they were asked their thoughts on Shell's profits and not unreasonably said that they were obscene.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:02 am

I have just been on a business trip to Germany - got back last night. I drove to Dusseldorf, via the Channel Tunnel. That's Northern France, Belgium, a tiny bit of Holland and into Germany.

Diesel prices per litre as follows: England 1.30; France 1.34; Belgium 1.32; Holland 1.34; Germany 1.40.

The difference being the English price is in Pounds Sterling, the others are in Euros. The truckers have a point.

Oh, and petrol prices, whilst the difference is less, are cheaper too. Petrol is more expensive than diesel - like it used to be here.

Now I'm guessing that the price of crude has gone up in these countries too.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:44 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:yep lorry drivers well worth our sympathy.......

The Telegraph doing their usual stirling work in the field of journalism. Referring to possible strike action they refer to an unnamed scource from Unite - yeah right. Then directly quote the Union leaders when, presumably, they were asked their thoughts on Shell's profits and not unreasonably said that they were obscene.
both were interviewed on Radio and gave those responses on air. And to use the term "source" and quote them means they've spoken off the record, it could be another individual or part of the same interview with Ron Webb.

would you prefer the PA link....

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM ... j6pIdqpQTg

Ron being very realistic in that one. :roll:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:59 am

While I appreciate the protestors sentiment, it's laughable that the bikers & truckers have chosen the M60 from Simister anti-clockwise to the M602 as their go-slow route in the rush hour. That stretch of motorway usually travels at 5mph in rush hour anyway; do they think anyone will even notice the difference?

All they're going to do is waste some of their own fuel (oh the irony!) and needlessly tie up a large section of the region's traffic police whose time could be better spent doing other things.
Businesswoman of the year.