Sunday League .... do you or did you?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

screech powers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Sunday League .... do you or did you?

Post by screech powers » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:42 pm

I was just reading a supliment in a magazine about Sunday league players and just wondered if anyone on here plays or played Sunday league (pub) football.

I play for a team called Walkabout Celtic Fc in the Blackpool Sunday league in goal. Were in division 3 and pretty much a mid-table side. We have a good squad of players , one of whom is having a trail at Hamilton Academicals (bizzarly.. i dont know how that came about). Although its all for fun i do take it seriously and have missed the odd Bolton game to play(early afternoon sunday kick offs). My perfect weekend involves a good booze up watchin Bolton followed by a good result and performance at the local park on the Sunday.

Anyone else still living the dream......

(Wasnt sure if i should put this in other footy , however that Sunday league is only a loose form of football so opted for here instead lol)
Life is not like a box of chocolates , it is infact , like a box of chuck norris roundhouse kicking you in the face. And if you recieve a box of chuck norris , you always know what your gonna get.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:53 pm

Sunday pub league has always been a great draw for those who genuinely love their football. A lot of good players from the likes of the Combination have always turned out for the sheer enjoyment of playing. I used to play for Mount Street Tavern in Bolton, and then The Red Lion at Westhoughton. Had many a good battle with the likes of the Lancastrian pub from Little Hulton whilst playing for Brownlow Fold, and Chequerbent and Francis Brown and co for the Red Lion . Also played for Walsden and Todmorden in the Yorkshire league and Walkers Institute and Oswalds in the Bolton Combination. Happy days. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Getting up to run about after a saturday night when half the time you havent gone to bed??? Dont fooking think so. I can just about drag myself to the pub to ease the pain.
Used to play 5 a side on a week night but gave that up because................. well I just couldnt be arsed.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm

Try and play five-a-side regularly. In fact, im playing tonight at Burnden for a bit. Play at power league fives sometimes up at leverhulme. Most of my footy is played at university though. We have our inter departmental 11 a side championships which is taken quite seriously, as most half decent players can't get near the BUSA teams as they're semi pro! Got to the final the last two years with my department team MoLES (Modern Languages and European Studies), though the first year I was barely a squad player. This year i had to miss the knockout stages as I had an operation on my toe at easter :(

Ah well, there's always the 2009/10 season.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:27 pm

I played a bit of Sunday League. My teams were:

Victoria British Queen (Blackburn Road)
Bowling Green (Bury Road)
Breighmet Labour Club
Kings Arms (Chorley Old Road)
Alboro (Kearsley/Farnworth)

I hung my boots up around 6 years ago after 13 consecutive seasons in Bolton Sunday League. I enjoyed every season even the one when we only won two games (VBQ).

I did manage to score one goal in those 13 seasons. Not a bad return I'm sure you will agree. :oops:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:19 pm

malcd1 wrote:I played a bit of Sunday League. My teams were:

Victoria British Queen (Blackburn Road)
Bowling Green (Bury Road)
Breighmet Labour Club
Kings Arms (Chorley Old Road)
Alboro (Kearsley/Farnworth)

I hung my boots up around 6 years ago after 13 consecutive seasons in Bolton Sunday League. I enjoyed every season even the one when we only won two games (VBQ).

I did manage to score one goal in those 13 seasons. Not a bad return I'm sure you will agree. :oops:
All the best people only get one goal in their Sunday league career :-) I set up a team in the mid 80's that played in the Salford Sunday League then latterly the Eccles Sunday League. Played ofr about 5/6 seasons. The Club lasted about 18 years but wound up in 2002 as far as I know.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Probably looking for a team come September be it 5-a-side or 11-a-side as I've not played regularly for a while. Used to play 5-a-side twice a week in London but that's all I've played for a regular side since leaving my all conquering junior team a few years ago.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:21 pm

Used to BC (before children). Actually I gave up well before parenthood 'cos in London it's about 90 minutes there and 90 minutes back, that's most of yer day gone. Play scratch football on a Monday night now, can be anywhere between five- and 11-a-side. I don't miss competition, though.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Where abouts in Blackpool you play then screech? Played a couple of games for Fairhaven meself but can't remember what standard that was because as I say was only a couple of games with cricket being my main sporting pastime. Playing for Quarrybank in Liverpool next season whilst at uni. Pretty poor standard but only in it for a laugh.

screech powers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by screech powers » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 am

jimbo wrote:Where abouts in Blackpool you play then screech? Played a couple of games for Fairhaven meself but can't remember what standard that was because as I say was only a couple of games with cricket being my main sporting pastime. Playing for Quarrybank in Liverpool next season whilst at uni. Pretty poor standard but only in it for a laugh.
Blackpool Rd North at the back of airport, we were called Pump&Truncheon Celtic for last 3 years. Played the Fairhaven last year , think they have been promoted now , won one 6-1 and lost 5-2 against them!

Also play Mondaynight at Vida and at Ansdell on a friday night 7-a-side
Life is not like a box of chocolates , it is infact , like a box of chuck norris roundhouse kicking you in the face. And if you recieve a box of chuck norris , you always know what your gonna get.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:12 am

screech powers wrote:
jimbo wrote:Where abouts in Blackpool you play then screech? Played a couple of games for Fairhaven meself but can't remember what standard that was because as I say was only a couple of games with cricket being my main sporting pastime. Playing for Quarrybank in Liverpool next season whilst at uni. Pretty poor standard but only in it for a laugh.
Blackpool Rd North at the back of airport, we were called Pump&Truncheon Celtic for last 3 years. Played the Fairhaven last year , think they have been promoted now , won one 6-1 and lost 5-2 against them!

You ever play for any of the junior sides locally? I played at Blackpool Rd for Our Lady for a bit many moons ago and then moved to YMCA, where I was a few years behind our own Gavin McCann.

screech powers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by screech powers » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:27 am

jimbo wrote:
screech powers wrote:

You ever play for any of the junior sides locally? I played at Blackpool Rd for Our Lady for a bit many moons ago and then moved to YMCA, where I was a few years behind our own Gavin McCann.
Played for Kirkham Juniors from 9-16!! those were great days , we had an ok team , our only honour was the Hogan cup when we were under 9's. YMCA and Fleetwood Gym used to piss our league, and i remember giving the likes of SouthShore and Foxhall a few good stuffings!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:18 am

screech powers wrote:
jimbo wrote:
screech powers wrote:

Played for Kirkham Juniors from 9-16!! those were great days , we had an ok team , our only honour was the Hogan cup when we were under 9's. YMCA and Fleetwood Gym used to piss our league, and i remember giving the likes of SouthShore and Foxhall a few good stuffings!
Fleetwood were strong in most ages iirc. Also seem to remember Kirkham folding when I was about 12, or at least stopping playing at my age group. My YMCA team was awful. Every presentation night everyone else was being presented with league trohies and cups and we were left sitting there. The problem was we used to fight amongst ourselves at YM, with there being two distinct groups of players who hated each other. In training we had matches between the two groups that almost always ended in fights. We never managed to carry the passion into a Sunday though.

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:07 pm

Im looking to join a sunday league team for the new season.

Anyone know teams who need players around the Astley Bridge Area???
Stay up

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Played for most of my youth, for a couple of different teams. Always a good laugh, but got a little bit tedious towards the end. Greatest sucess came playing for the school, where we reached the last 32 of the national cup, losing 11-1 to a Victor Moses inspired whitgift school. Reached a town cup final and played at Withdean which we won, but personally for me it was shit, as I played shit.

Back playing on Wednesay night now in a four a side indoor league, which is great fun.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:02 pm

Played in the Bolton Sunday League in the 1970's and early 1980's. (Owd get!)

BYC, Volunteer Slaters (and then when they became Volunteer), Gardeners Arms and others.

A healthy "Kick him again, Tony!" league in those days! :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:39 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Played in the Bolton Sunday League in the 1970's and early 1980's. (Owd get!)

BYC, Volunteer Slaters (and then when they became Volunteer), Gardeners Arms and others.

Gardeners Arms, my old hangout with mine-host Mr Connors... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:49 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Played in the Bolton Sunday League in the 1970's and early 1980's. (Owd get!)

Gardeners Arms, my old hangout with mine-host Mr Connors... :shock:
I knew him well - and his sons! (Wasn't it O'Connor though?)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!