What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Just finished Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zaffon.
You finished it!

I gave up about halfway... should i have persevered?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 am

i enjoy reading i really do, but i dont know how people find the time - if im not on holiday or summat, one book will last me months!

i know there isnt much on tv these days, but im not comfortable in a room that has a tv in it thats not switched on - and when its on i cant concentrate on a book so i guess im stumped!

the tv goes on even when i have no intention of watching it, like if im on the laptop or getting changed - just dosent feel right without it?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:22 am

William the White wrote:
You finished it!

Probably not. Gothic mystery stuff, over dramatized and everything spent far too much time on, but made readable by the sidekick's humour. Wouldn't say it's a must-read.

On courtship: "Men should take the lead. There's a price to be paid for the privelege of standing up to piss" :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:02 am

General Mannerheim wrote:i enjoy reading i really do, but i dont know how people find the time - if im not on holiday or summat, one book will last me months!

i know there isnt much on tv these days, but im not comfortable in a room that has a tv in it thats not switched on - and when its on i cant concentrate on a book so i guess im stumped!

the tv goes on even when i have no intention of watching it, like if im on the laptop or getting changed - just dosent feel right without it?
By the sound of some of your extra-curricular activity General, I'm guessing we're all tucked up with a mug of cocoa and a book whilst you're out about town! :twisted:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:23 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:
You finished it!

Probably not. Gothic mystery stuff, over dramatized and everything spent far too much time on, but made readable by the sidekick's humour. Wouldn't say it's a must-read.

On courtship: "Men should take the lead. There's a price to be paid for the privelege of standing up to piss" :D
THE TWO LAST GIFTS OF CREATION
Seems God was just about done creating the universe, but he had two extra things left in his bag of creations, so he decided to split them between Adam and Eve. He told the couple that one of the things he had to give away was the ability to stand up while urinating.
"It's a very handy thing," God told the couple, who he found under an apple tree. "I was wondering if either one of you wanted that ability."
Before God had a chance to explain any further, Adam jumped up and blurted, "Oh, give that to me! I'd love to, please, oh please, oh please, let me have that ability, It'd be so great! When I'm working in the garden or naming the animals. I could just stand there and let it fly. It'd be so cool, I could write my name in the sand. Oh please God, let it be me who you give that gift to, let me stand and pee, oh please..." Adam went on and on like an excited little boy who had to pee.
Eve just smiled and told God that if Adam really wanted that so badly, that he should have it. It seemed to be the sort of thing that would make him happy and she really wouldn't mind if Adam were the one given this ability.
And so Adam was given the ability to control the direction of his misdirection while in a vertical position. And so, he was happy and did celebrate by wetting down the bark on the tree nearest him, laughing with delight all the while. And it was good.
"Fine," God said, looking back into his bag of leftover gifts, "What's left here? Oh yes, Multiple orgasms..."
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:55 am

Just finished Simon Armitage's update of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, after being impressed by the programme

"Reading a 600-year-old poem after watching a BBC Four documentary" is the new "reading the book that the film's based on"

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:52 pm

seanworth wrote:Burma: The river of lost footsteps by Myint U

Well I finished the book and found it one of the best books I have read in a long time. It is very much a historical account of Burma, and my only criticism was that it was too brief especially regarding the more recent years. It is very well written and I didn't find myself bogged down with names etc. Mind you my degree was in Southeast Asian Studies, but I remember little, and didn't do much regarding Burma anyways.

I would highly recommend it to you. It is almost scary to think if the Military Rule broke down, as one can see another Balkans take place. Not supporting the Military and nor does the book, it just shows what a mess and dilemma the country is in. While that was not much of a surprise to me, he does discount some of the assumptions I and many others had about Burma regarding it's past.
It's in my hands now, seanworth. I couldn't get to the library when it came in (I do work sometimes) so my wife collected it for me on Saturday last. It's one hell of a read given my general ignorance of the history of the Burma/Siam/India/China etc. area. I'm only half way through at the moment. Unlike yourself I did have to work on the names and place names although I seem to have got there - though I doubt that my inner voice pronounces them as the author would. :) Mind you the names of some of the British Raj were almost as challenging. :mrgreen:

I have not as yet checked any of his references but I'll make a note of some of them and see what I can glean if I can find them. Quite an eye-opening exposition and I thank you again for your reference.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:18 am

Dujon wrote:
seanworth wrote:Burma: The river of lost footsteps by Myint U

Well I finished the book and found it one of the best books I have read in a long time. It is very much a historical account of Burma, and my only criticism was that it was too brief especially regarding the more recent years. It is very well written and I didn't find myself bogged down with names etc. Mind you my degree was in Southeast Asian Studies, but I remember little, and didn't do much regarding Burma anyways.

I would highly recommend it to you. It is almost scary to think if the Military Rule broke down, as one can see another Balkans take place. Not supporting the Military and nor does the book, it just shows what a mess and dilemma the country is in. While that was not much of a surprise to me, he does discount some of the assumptions I and many others had about Burma regarding it's past.
It's in my hands now, seanworth. I couldn't get to the library when it came in (I do work sometimes) so my wife collected it for me on Saturday last. It's one hell of a read given my general ignorance of the history of the Burma/Siam/India/China etc. area. I'm only half way through at the moment. Unlike yourself I did have to work on the names and place names although I seem to have got there - though I doubt that my inner voice pronounces them as the author would. :) Mind you the names of some of the British Raj were almost as challenging. :mrgreen:

I have not as yet checked any of his references but I'll make a note of some of them and see what I can glean if I can find them. Quite an eye-opening exposition and I thank you again for your reference.
Glad your enjoying it. I have no idea regarding the pronunciations myself. I have had Burmese employees many times over the years. I try pronouncing some word I read and they look at me like I'm strange. I even try a more Thai approach to the pronunciation and get an equally mystified look. Have a feeling it is not a very easy language.

Apathy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Apathy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:After a stout recommend by Batman, I've just taken delivery of Charlie Brooker's books - Screenburn and Dawn of the Dumb. I look forward to getting stuck in over the coming weeks. Oh, £3.00 apiece from HMV if anyone's interested, delivered.
I finished Dawn of the Dum a couple of weeks ago. Brooker is very funny, but so much of his vitriol is aimed at reality TV celebs who I have never heard of, that I couldn't relate to lot of the book.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Some Lit Q's on BBC (only a few) - I got a paltry 5 out of 7 and a "could do better"....:-(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8116627.stm

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:07 pm

'Wiseguys', the novel that inspired 'Goodfellas'.

Came free with this months Total Film. A cracking read,
Was right all along

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:01 pm

A week in the quietest seaside spot in the algarve (usually - though this year around us it was JCB convention time as the village square and single street through the old village were getting a pre-election revamp, so the local cynics said) but the beach and ocean were still there, the skies still blue, the fish just the best in the world (sardines four times, golden bream three, red bream one, since you ask for details) and the annual luxury of reading novels and making a serious dent in the shelf of Shame.

Lucky this year - every one a winner. So...

Finished The House of Fathers by Miklos Vamos (who it seems is Hungary's most famous writer). I'd like to read more of him. This is a chronicle novel covering nine generations of a Hungarian Jewish family from the late 17th to the late 20th centuries (so including the years of the holocaust). It's utterly gripping, horrifying, moving, witty, sexy and never, ever repetitive. Very serious beneath, but not afraid of dealing with the trivialities and joys of life as well. The central premise is that the first born sons of each generation can see into every detail of the family's past, and each keeps his own chronicle in 'The book of fathers' which is passed down, lost, recovered and I won't reveal its ultyimate fate. With effort they can also see into the future - but this is a curse far more than a blessing. When you foresee disaster what does it mean for the present? 474 pages means it requires commitment. But I think it is very, very good. Recommend.

I read three others - but will post on them separately or I'll be writing essay length postings.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:22 pm

Poetry evening in the lovely sunshine. Feeling penseive so having a bit of Larkin's Aubade, Thomas' 'Do not go gentle into that good night', and Michael Young's 'Changing places'. Counting Crows in the background. Feeling existential.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:Poetry evening in the lovely sunshine. Feeling penseive so having a bit of Larkin's Aubade, Thomas' 'Do not go gentle into that good night', and Michael Young's 'Changing places'. Counting Crows in the background. Feeling existential.
When I get into poetry mood I often reach out for the anthology Being Alive and its sequel Staying Alive... brilliant collections for every mood you might be in... If you don't know, give them a check...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:17 pm

William the White wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Poetry evening in the lovely sunshine. Feeling penseive so having a bit of Larkin's Aubade, Thomas' 'Do not go gentle into that good night', and Michael Young's 'Changing places'. Counting Crows in the background. Feeling existential.
When I get into poetry mood I often reach out for the anthology Being Alive and its sequel Staying Alive... brilliant collections for every mood you might be in... If you don't know, give them a check...
Cheers, will do. I was only internet browsing on the patio, ut I shall certainly check those out.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:43 pm

In need of a little wisdom and some musical nourishment after a somewhat horrendous week at work (everything breaking down, air-conditioning leaks, cold-water dispenser on the blink and women wailing about the heat and everybody wanting their own pesonal fans (" she's got one so I want one") etc etc, I've turned to the Rubaiyat and Pavarotti for solace. Seeing as how Omar spent so much time praising the vine I've added a little Spanish brandy to the mix. Feel better now. :wink:

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:05 am

William the White wrote:
When I hear the word poetry, I reach for my Browning.

Etc.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:28 am

TANGODANCER wrote:In need of a little wisdom and some musical nourishment after a somewhat horrendous week at work (everything breaking down, air-conditioning leaks, cold-water dispenser on the blink and women wailing about the heat and everybody wanting their own pesonal fans (" she's got one so I want one") etc etc, I've turned to the Rubaiyat and Pavarotti for solace. Seeing as how Omar spent so much time praising the vine I've added a little Spanish brandy to the mix. Feel better now. :wink:
Aye I've had a week of that too. It's like war!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:11 pm

Big stroke of luck this morning. Managed to be the first library customer to grab Fred Dibnah's Buildings of Britain by David Hall. Lots of articles, Fred's comments on anything and everything and loads of great photographs and Fred's immaculate drawings. Got family today but looking forward to getting stuck into that asap. :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:In need of a little wisdom and some musical nourishment after a somewhat horrendous week at work (everything breaking down, air-conditioning leaks, cold-water dispenser on the blink and women wailing about the heat and everybody wanting their own pesonal fans (" she's got one so I want one") etc etc, I've turned to the Rubaiyat and Pavarotti for solace. Seeing as how Omar spent so much time praising the vine I've added a little Spanish brandy to the mix. Feel better now. :wink:
Aye I've had a week of that too. It's like war!
My particular piss-off in chief is when you tell the same people:

"I've rung the company, the engineer will get here as soon as possible but he's pulled out everywhere because of the weather" You keep on top of them but politely then get:

"Give me their number, I'll speak to them!" as if you don't know how to make a phone-call and the whole world will jump to attaention when they ring, when all they'll do is irritate the firm and probably drop you back a couple of places due their pushy ignorance. Grrrr. :evil: