Les Paul RIP

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Les Paul RIP

Post by Bruno » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, "Les Paul & Friends: American Made, World Played."
Sad news.
Was right all along

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Les Paul RIP

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Bruno wrote:
Les Paul, the guitarist and inventor who changed the course of music with the electric guitar and multitrack recording and had a string of hits, many with wife Mary Ford, died on Thursday. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died of complications from pneumonia at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

He had been hospitalized in February 2006 when he learned he won two Grammys for an album he released after his 90th birthday, "Les Paul & Friends: American Made, World Played."
Sad news.
Sad indeed. Bloody good guitars. I love mine. Massively influential man.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:09 pm

Aye, RIP indeed. :(
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:23 pm

Les Paul wasn't just a model name on guitars. A brilliant guitarist himself he made stacks of recording, many with his wife, Mary Ford. I can remember two specifically; The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" and, I'm almot certain, a version of "How high the moon". Amongst my vynil collection is an empty sleeve, a souvenier of misplaced kindness in lending it around. It came back somehow empty but no bxxxxxd would admit to knowing where it was. Still have that sleeve today.

Great artist who gave pleasure to multi thousands. R.I.P.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Sad news indeed. all my favorite guitarists play a Les Paul, and I always liked the interviews he did with them. People like Joe Perry acting like a school kid. RIP

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Les Paul wasn't just a model name on guitars. A brilliant guitarist himself he made stacks of recording, many with his wife, Mary Ford.
Err, yeah. We're actually already aware of that thanks.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:16 pm

C'mon Brucey, he lifted that straight from the internet to educate those who might not know............
Was right all along

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Les Paul wasn't just a model name on guitars. A brilliant guitarist himself he made stacks of recording, many with his wife, Mary Ford.
It was just for the benefit of some who might not be. Oh, and it wasn't lifted from anywhere Bruno. I actually remember him. Points made though, I'll refrain from comment in future.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:38 pm

I was fighting your corner there, I'll not bother in future if it offends you so much.
Was right all along

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Bruno wrote:I was fighting your corner there, I'll not bother in future if it offends you so much.
It wasn't offence, just the assumption that I'd cut and paste something without crediting it. Les Paul was big when I was just a teenager, and that's a long time ago. Not sure why my comments draw controversy where none's intended.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:46 pm

A lot of your comments do seem to drag off-topic, which is not a criticism, just an observation.
Was right all along

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
It was just for the benefit of some who might not be. Oh, and it wasn't lifted from anywhere Bruno. I actually remember him. Points made though, I'll refrain from comment in future.
Tango, had you started from the top of the thread rather than just barging in with your "I'm the one in the know around here, you plebs" approach, then you'd have learned that a few of us are not only aware of, but are indeed appreciative of Les Paul's contribution. Perhaps you'll be dazzling us next with Bert Weedon's contribution when he kicks the bucket like he didn't teach any of us to learn to play within a day? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Thought he was long gone by now. Still, RIP.

And I'm not sure arguing about his achievements was the kinda tribute he had in mind 8)
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tango, had you started from the top of the thread rather than just barging in with your "I'm the one in the know around here, you plebs" approach, then you'd have learned that a few of us are not only aware of, but are indeed appreciative of Les Paul's contribution. Perhaps you'll be dazzling us next with Bert Weedon's contribution when he kicks the bucket like he didn't teach any of us to learn to play within a day? :conf:
Didn't work for me. :evil:

I'm not a guitar player but recognise the influence of the man R.I.P.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
No Bruce, I won't be doing that. Your obviously personal dislike of my comment I accept. I'll just leave it alone.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm

I just got rid of one of those bloody things the other day, took it to the dump as it was old and scratched. If I remember correctly, someone told me it was made in 1959 so it was old. It was just taking up space.

As to Les Paul, didn't he invent Fenders or something? Sad loss.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 am

c'mon boys - picking daft fights with Tango is MY job! :wink:

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 am

bedwetter2 wrote:I just got rid of one of those bloody things the other day, took it to the dump as it was old and scratched. If I remember correctly, someone told me it was made in 1959 so it was old. It was just taking up space.

As to Les Paul, didn't he invent Fenders or something? Sad loss.
Please tell me this is a wind up!

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:30 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
No Bruce, I won't be doing that. Your obviously personal dislike of my comment I accept. I'll just leave it alone.
Well I didnt know. I thought it was just a fooking guitar. Calm down dears.
Last edited by superjohnmcginlay on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Well I didnt know. I thought it was just a fooking guitar. Clam down dears.
I agree. You're acting like a prawn.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!