Nikolai Valuev

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:46 pm

Valuev is a bit of a manufactured monster though, he's not a massive puncher and I've never really seen him show that much aggression. He is very much like Crouch in that the things you'd expect him to be good at (punch power for Valuev and heading for Crouch) he's shit at, but the things you wouldn't expect him to be good at (namely having a decent jab) he's pretty effective at.

He'll take some stopping though. I think the fights more a case of how a journo in the Mail put it, "This is not so much the immovable object against the irresistible force as the ponderous against the vulnerable."

Fascinating nonetheless.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:57 pm

He did and he is the new world champion.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Reckons he broke his hand in't 2nd round too :shock: Davo-esque is that

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:27 am

So. At which point in the fight did Haye look to be the better of the two? None. Absolute bollocks of a decision.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:48 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:So. At which point in the fight did Haye look to be the better of the two? None. Absolute bollocks of a decision.
It wasn't a great fight, but Haye did enough to win - Haye landed most of the good punches (admittedly only 3 or 4 a round) but the Russian just walked forward all the time but hardly landed a punch in the fight, and Haye had him rocking in the last.

Well done David Haye deserved world champ but only just !

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:51 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:So. At which point in the fight did Haye look to be the better of the two? None. Absolute bollocks of a decision.
It wasn't a great fight, but Haye did enough to win - Haye landed most of the good punches (admittedly only 3 or 4 a round) but the Russian just walked forward all the time but hardly landed a punch in the fight, and Haye had him rocking in the last.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, PT. I hear what you're saying but it was a draw for me.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:52 am

What a boring pile of crap. Heavyweight boxing has gone down the toilet the past 20 yrs or so, and that display shows no sign of a recovery.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree, PT. I hear what you're saying but it was a draw for me.
And me.

Neither deserved to win, but if you're going to go and take someones title, I'd expect a bit more than running away for 11 rounds and then hitting him with one good shot.

Still, it's probably better in the long run that Haye won, and fair play to him.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Peter Thompson wrote:

And me.

Neither deserved to win, but if you're going to go and take someones title, I'd expect a bit more than running away for 11 rounds and then hitting him with one good shot.

Still, it's probably better in the long run that Haye won, and fair play to him.
I haven't got the stats but I'll bet that Haye landed twice as many punches as the Russian, so for that reason he deserved to win, the Russian did nothing at all - and how anyone could have expected Haye to stand still or get in close and trade blows with a guy a foot taller and 6 stone heavier is daft.

He did what he had to do against a giant of a man, Yes he could have put some better combinations together but he had also damaged his right hand early in the fight - I've just watched it again this morning and Haye clearly deserved to win

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:24 pm

I really don't think that either deserved to win it at all. But yes, you're right in that it's points that count, but I'm also pretty sure that you know what I mean.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I really don't think that either deserved to win it at all. But yes, you're right in that it's points that count, but I'm also pretty sure that you know what I mean.
Bruce - Yes I totally know what you mean - Haye should / could have done more but it looked like he thought he was doing more than enough to win, but the decision could easily have gone to the Russian (although he did practically nothing in the fight apart from move forward and command the ring, and at his size that surely should have been expected)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:38 pm

PT - I think that ultimately I was just very disappointed. This fight had all the makings of an absolute classic and in the end it delivered absolutely nothing. I just feel a bit empty, I suppose, and let down really. As far as a days sport goes, yesterday wasn't good. :(

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:40 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:PT - I think that ultimately I was just very disappointed. This fight had all the makings of an absolute classic and in the end it delivered absolutely nothing. I just feel a bit empty, I suppose, and let down really. As far as a days sport goes, yesterday wasn't good. :(
Fair comment it wasn't a good fight, but I honestly never thought that it would be a classic.

As for the days sport if your including the Bolton result in that (and I assume you are..) then yes it wasn't a good day was it....

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:44 pm

It was a bit of a mismatch. Valuev didn't perform like a truly talented boxer, just someone who finds themself physically capable of boxing at the highest level. I reckon if Haye would've took the fight to him then Valuev would've been toppled. As it was Haye was very patient and like Valuev going for a points victory. I'm just glad there wasn't the usual tirade of hugging like there normally is in heavyweight fights.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Haye did deserve to win last night, true it wasn't a brilliant fight, but you can't find a fight by simply walking forwards and hitting shadows. Not exactly a "title winning fight" as people would say, but it was an even worse defence of a title.

I'm sure Haye would have been more active if his hand hadn't have gone so early on. If he could have done in the 10th what he did in the 12th then I think he could have had a decent chance of knocking him down.

I don't think there is anybody in the world who would be able to be attacking against Valuev, he isn't going to be the one backing off in to corners is he.

I also think that it was a decision that the boxing world needed, Valuev is an awful boxer and Haye is definitely the kind of boxer and personality that the sport needs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:24 pm

keveh wrote:I also think that it was a decision that the boxing world needed, Valuev is an awful boxer and Haye is definitely the kind of boxer and personality that the sport needs.
As proven where, exactly? Absolute rubbish, Kevin.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:03 am

Which part would you like proven?

The bit about Valuev being an awful boxer or Haye being what the heavyweight division needs?

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 am

It wasn't a fight, it was all that is wrong witih boxing - seeing Haye run around the ring whilst the big lad lumbered after him was embarrassing.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:00 am

Bruno wrote:It wasn't a fight, it was all that is wrong witih boxing - seeing Haye run around the ring whilst the big lad lumbered after him was embarrassing.
P'raps they should make it like Cup Comps at football. If it's still level after 12 Rounds they go to a punch-out - Stood a yard apart one shot each until someone gets KO'd.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruno wrote:It wasn't a fight, it was all that is wrong witih boxing - seeing Haye run around the ring whilst the big lad lumbered after him was embarrassing.
P'raps they should make it like Cup Comps at football. If it's still level after 12 Rounds they go to a punch-out - Stood a yard apart one shot each until someone gets KO'd.
Now that I would pay to see.