O/T-Please help with scenic locations near to Turton/Rammy!!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

RammyGirl
Hopeful
Hopeful

O/T-Please help with scenic locations near to Turton/Rammy!!

Post by RammyGirl » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi there,
Really hoping you can help. I get married at St Anne's church in Chapeltown, Turton and we're trying to find somewhere nice to have some photos taken. We're heading back to Ramsbottom for the reception so somewhere in between the two would be great. I really wanted to go to Peel tower then realised it's completely inaccessible! We then looked at Turton tower but the gardens weren't great the last time we visited.

So now we're thinking about going to a lake or somewhere with a fantastic view, ideally of peel tower? There are so many rolling hills but seemingly not many good vantage points? If anyone knows of a nice bit of water or something, your help would be much appreciated. We had a look at jumbles reservoir but it looked more like a quarry due to the low rainfall!!

Thanks so much for any help in advance!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:39 pm

Houghton Tower?
Hall i'th Wood?
Smithills?
Egerton?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:51 pm

blurred wrote:Houghton Tower?
Hall i'th Wood?
Smithills?
Egerton?
Google? :wink:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

dave1980
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dave1980 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:04 pm

What's wrong with St Annes.

That's quite scenic

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Rock Gardens in Moss Bank Park (where we had some of ours done)

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Get up Affetside

You could just about make it 'on your way'

If St Annes is the only church in Chapeltown, then I know it....it's a cracking spot itself

Hows Wayoh looking?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:30 pm

boltonboris wrote:Google? :wink:
I don't think she'd like me to refer to her as that.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:36 am

There are some nice spots around Jumbles and Wayho. but i have always thought that little castellated railway bridge up the lane past Turton Tower would be a really good spot for photos, the one with the turrets you can climb, you could get a picture taken of you two at the top! will obviously be a lot greener than in this pic.

Caps had a good shout with Affetside too, there is a field next to/behind the Pack Horse that has a brilliant backdrop of Holcolme Hill and Peel Tower. i know the bloke who owns said field, im sure he wouldnt mind, his is the last house before the pack horse (carpark side) you'd have to knock on and ask em.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Rock Gardens in Moss Bank Park (where we had some of ours done)

Has that place been cleaned up recently? I went past a while ago and it was totally overgrown and looking pretty sorry for itself which is a shame, our classes used to go there a lot when I was at Church Road Primary it was always kept in good condition back then

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:11 pm

P.O.S. wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Rock Gardens in Moss Bank Park (where we had some of ours done)

Has that place been cleaned up recently? I went past a while ago and it was totally overgrown and looking pretty sorry for itself which is a shame, our classes used to go there a lot when I was at Church Road Primary it was always kept in good condition back then
I'm talking sixteen years ago, so I can't say, really. A shame if they've been let go.

http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/collect ... s/19995715

BoltonMassiv
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BoltonMassiv » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:41 pm

You know that behind St Annes church lies the oldest football pitch in the world that is still in use, if you are a big football fan this might be of some importance, has some great views over Edgworth and and the moors from there as well. As has been said there is the Wayoh reservoir but not mentioend yet is the Entwistle resrvoir, which is definitely nicer and not as busy as either the Jumbles or Wayoh, it's also not far away (closer to Chapeltown than the Jumbles.) There are so many nice spots around here though it's hard not to find somewhere nice. Just make sure you don't come here expecting to go to the Strawbury Duck because it's closed down.

RammyGirl
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RammyGirl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Thank you so much to you all for taking the time to give us some suggestions - they look absolutely fab. The view in Affetside was exactly what I had in mind, and I do love those little turrets, would be great to get some photos at the top as you suggest!!

We definitely need to have a drive around, so will check out Wayoh and Entwistle. And the rock garden looks great as well, so much choice. We are getting married at St. Anne's, the beauty of the church and surroundings were the main reasons we picked it, and we will have photos taken there but we also want to get some of the rolling countryside.

Once again thank you very much for all your advice!!

Ps. whilst I think google is an absolute godsend it will never beat good old local knowledge of an area!!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:10 pm

RammyGirl wrote:Thank you so much to you all for taking the time to give us some suggestions - they look absolutely fab. The view in Affetside was exactly what I had in mind, and I do love those little turrets, would be great to get some photos at the top as you suggest!!

We definitely need to have a drive around, so will check out Wayoh and Entwistle. And the rock garden looks great as well, so much choice. We are getting married at St. Anne's, the beauty of the church and surroundings were the main reasons we picked it, and we will have photos taken there but we also want to get some of the rolling countryside.

Ps. whilst I think google is an absolute godsend it will never beat good old local knowledge of an area!!
Not a problem love. Now, where's the evening do so we can give that free bar a good hammering? :mrgreen:

Joking aside, if you like old ruins you could try Lever (Liverpool) Castle in Rivington.

http://www.about-rivington.co.uk/acatal ... astle.html

Failing that, I'm sure TD could stand behind the pair of you!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Strawberry duck is open again now.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:39 pm

RammyGirl wrote:Thank you so much to you all for taking the time to give us some suggestions - they look absolutely fab. The view in Affetside was exactly what I had in mind, and I do love those little turrets, would be great to get some photos at the top as you suggest!!

I wasn't suggesting that you look at Google, I was having a luagh at a Liverpool fan, who I think lives in the North East having such knowledge on our local area.. Apologies if it sounded patronising.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: Joking aside, if you like old ruins you could try Lever (Liverpool) Castle in Rivington.

Fxxk off Gary. Somebody'd claim I was a ghost. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

RammyGirl
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RammyGirl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Ooh i could get a shedload of cash from Living TV if there appeared to be a ghost in the background!!

Boris - no offence taken at all, sorry for misinterpreting it - this forum was my last resort as we were running out of ideas!! The joy of message boards eh!!

Thanks again everyone, so helpful, we obviously picked the best town to get wed in ;o)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote: Joking aside, if you like old ruins you could try Lever (Liverpool) Castle in Rivington.

Fxxk off Gary. Somebody'd claim I was a ghost. :wink:
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:49 am

RammyGirl,

Don't fuss too much, it's not worth it. When you look back in a few years time it won't be the background that is of interest, just the people.

A long and happy union m'dear. :pissed:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:07 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Strawberry duck is open again now.
Really? Wasn't three weeks ago when I was walking that way - looking pretty decrepit in fact.

Hope it is, though - an iconic watering hole - should be compulsory to drink there and keep it going... :D