new Muslim youth club just opened in Newcastle...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

new Muslim youth club just opened in Newcastle...

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:32 pm

its called Burka Grove!! :mrgreen:

wont happen in France though... http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD9GU5E9G0

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:13 pm

my joke was just a light hearted opening to a discussion about the article.

Banning Burkas, Outrageous surely?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:14 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:my joke was just a light hearted opening to a discussion about the article.

indeed - I think we've been here before though.... (which is not to say we can't revisit it!)

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:22 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:my joke was just a light hearted opening to a discussion about the article.

Banning face covering except where there is justifiable need

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:25 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

looks like an end to your blind-fold sex sessions CAPS....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:37 pm

thebish wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

looks like an end to your blind-fold sex sessions CAPS....
There's a justifiable need....in that particular instance. :wink:

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:39 pm

'...but how am i supposed to find it, if i'm blindfolded!?' , he was last heard saying :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Instead of going down the 'why shouldn't we be able to ban items of clothing. This may have nothing to do with me and not affect me in any way but I just don't like people who are different' we could have a multiculturalism vs secular society debate?

Pros-Cons of both? Neither are perfect.

Even under secular society this seems a bit outrageous to me though,

"It refers neither to Islam nor to veils. Officials insist the law against face-covering is not discriminatory because it would apply to everyone, not just Muslims. Yet they cite a host of exceptions, including motorcycle helmets, or masks for health reasons, fencing, skiing or carnivals."
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Zorro - ban the bastard!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:07 pm

what about bridal veils?

and does this mean balaclavas will be banned?

I wear mine on my bike in the winter under my helmet....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:13 pm

thebish wrote:what about bridal veils?

and does this mean balaclavas will be banned?

I wear mine on my bike in the winter under my helmet....
Presumably not. This law doesn't just apply to muslims, so it is, you understand, racist, it's just everything else that covers your face happens to be an exception.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Yet they cite a host of exceptions, including motorcycle helmets, or masks for health reasons, fencing, skiing or carnivals."

You don't go into a bank, supermarket, airport, meeting etc wearing any of them. Even carnivals are for a few hours at most. Hardly a good argument Pru.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The Ghost of Burnden
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Ghost of Burnden » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:25 pm

If anything, in my opinion, it is a sensible move.

We live in a culture where we talk face to face and we clearly see each others faces (eye to eye) - yes there are exceptions (as mentioned) and as Tangodancer has said are those head/face garments worn all the time or in places where face to face talking is required (such as meeting, bank managers etc)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Yet they cite a host of exceptions, including motorcycle helmets, or masks for health reasons, fencing, skiing or carnivals."

You don't go into a bank, supermarket, airport, meeting etc wearing any of them. Even carnivals are for a few hours at most. Hardly a good argument Pru.
What? Oh sorry does what somebody else chooses to wear offend you? Tough shit. People go into all those places apart from maybe meetings wearing crocs and I don't like them, they make me feel uneasy. Can I ban them?

And folk do go into banks wearing ski masks, to rob shit, presumably the reason why they're 'saying' they're introducing this bill, ie. to stop crime.

But no, it definitely doesn't target muslims, even though everything else is exempt.

Sarzhoky is introducing it to win votes from people who don't like muslims.

The day we start banning items of clothing....*shudders*

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:38 pm

What? Oh sorry does what somebody else chooses to wear offend you? Tough shit. People go into all those places apart from maybe meetings wearing crocs and I don't like them, they make me feel uneasy. Can I ban them?
Do excuse my ignoarance Pru, but the only crocs I know live in the wilds or zoos. Not sure either where I said anything offends me? I was simply replying to a somewhat weak argument for wearing masks if I can remember back that far. I should imagine a few folk shudder at my Victor Meldrew cap when it rains. As you choose to say, tough shxt. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Do excuse my ignoarance Pru, but the only crocs I know live in the wilds or zoos. Not sure either where I said anything offends me? I was simply replying to a somewhat weak argument for wearing masks if I can remember back that far. I should imagine a few folk shudder at my Victor Meldrew cap when it rains. As you choose to say, tough shxt. :wink:
Well exactly. My point is people don't need an argument for wearing masks other than because they want to. Like you don't for wearing your cap, and like people don't for wearing those daft big plastic shoes with holes in people call crocs.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

And folk do go into banks wearing ski masks, to rob shit, presumably the reason why they're 'saying' they're introducing this bill, ie. to stop crime.

But no, it definitely doesn't target muslims, even though everything else is exempt.

Sarzhoky is introducing it to win votes from people who don't like muslims.

The day we start banning items of clothing....*shudders*
No, but I'd be more than happy for you to campaign to get a vote through the Houses of Parliament that banned them.

A particular parliament is trying to pass a law it see's fit. If the people are dead against it, they can vote them out at the next election.

It will make it part of their Justice system that you seem so keen on defending elsewhere. :)

The Ghost of Burnden
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by The Ghost of Burnden » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:58 pm

open questions 1 and 2

when a man goes for an interview what is the normal attire to wear and why?
when a woman goes for an interview what is the normal attire to wear and why?

Open question 3....

If a woman goes for an interview and wears a burk, would you consider them for the job or not, why - also would you be able to tell that the person underneath is the person on the CV/application form?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm

They are a secular country, and as such they've been considering this for years. I 100% agree with them. And there are exceptions, before we start silly season.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:10 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:They are a secular country, and as such they've been considering this for years. I 100% agree with them. And there are exceptions, before we start silly season.
This has nothing to do with seculairty though. If it did they would be banning crucfixes, and Sikh turbans. Those things, along with the burkha, are already banned from public officials, and in state controlled places such as schools. Sarkhozy, coz he's a scrounging vote chasing Tony Blair Lite Lite shyster is courting votes from whomever, in this case the racists by targetting Muslims. If it was an act of secularity they would be banning it as a form or religious symbolism. If they did that, along with other religious obvious symbols then, fair enough. As it is they are trying to ban it under some bollocks cover your face thing.