ironman triathlon

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ytfcwattsy
Hopeful
Hopeful

ironman triathlon

Post by ytfcwattsy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:42 pm

hello,

as many of you may know the ironman is coming to Bolton in a couple weeks time.
i am part of the promotion team here in Yeovil.
we need some Marshalls to cover the course. we already have nearly 200 but need to make it to 300.
you can register yourself and others if you like so you can use your families and friends to.
the race starts in the morning and runs to the afternoon.
if anyone is interested please reply and i'll give you some details of who you can speak to.

rhanks in advance

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Good luck with it matey, just don't block any of the good roads round Rivington on a Sunday, you may upset us bikers! :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:47 pm

I wish I could help but sadly I am too far away.

I have a few friends who are competing in this and, although they praised the Marshalls who were there last year, they did say at times the lack of marshalls was a little disappointing.

So if any of you guys can help, or know any local athletics clubs who may have spare bodies, it's a great opportunity to see some top athletes in action and, after several long hours of effort, one or two kind words can really boost a flagging spirit.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:48 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:I wish I could help but sadly I am too far away.

I have a few friends who are competing in this and, although they praised the Marshalls who were there last year, they did say at times the lack of marshalls was a little disappointing.

So if any of you guys can help, or know any local athletics clubs who may have spare bodies, it's a great opportunity to see some top athletes in action and, after several long hours of effort, one or two kind words can really boost a flagging spirit.
Pillion may be of more help :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Hobinho wrote:

I doubt it. Having to cycle 130 odd miles with you on the back would be too much even for these guys and gals. :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hobinho wrote:

I doubt it. Having to cycle 130 odd miles with you on the back would be too much even for these guys and gals. :wink:
I'm only 13 stone in me boxers you cheeky sod :shock: :wink:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Hobinho wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hobinho wrote:

Is that INTERNET weight? You know, for the ladies?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hobinho wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hobinho wrote:

Noooo that ones 11" :mrgreen:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Hobinho wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hobinho wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Hobinho wrote: Pillion may be of more help :mrgreen:
Noooo that ones 11" :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:32 pm

i might do it, whats the hourly rate?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:37 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i might do it, whats the hourly rate?
Thought you'd be doing it with your ultra expensive push Iron!!!

ytfcwattsy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ytfcwattsy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:41 pm

i'm afraid the marshall's role is voluntary but you will have the chance to be part of a international event with excellent athletes from all over the worl as well as raising money for local charities and helping the local economy

thanks

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:47 pm

ytfcwattsy wrote:
i'm afraid the marshall's role is voluntary but you will have the chance to be part of a international event with excellent athletes from all over the worl as well as raising money for local charities and helping the local economy

thanks
i getcha, fiver an hour then?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Hobinho wrote:
Thought you'd be doing it with your ultra expensive push Iron!!!
oh yeah could do, be easy on that! :D

mine wasnt that expensive tho really, this bloke who comes out with us sometimes spent as much just to get his bike serviced!!! crackers!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:50 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
ytfcwattsy wrote:

thanks
General. Given that some of these guys will be taking up to 16 hours to complete this event, your offer to pay £5 per hour to local charities is generous in the extreme. Well done. How many hours will you marshall for and which charity will you donate to?

ytfcwattsy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ytfcwattsy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:57 pm

here is some useful info and background knowledge

WHAT IS THE IRONMAN?
The first ever UK Ironman Triathlon was held in 2003 at Sherborne in Dorset. Since then, the event has gone from strength-to-strength and grown each year in terms of numbers and status to become the largest of its kind in Europe.
Divided into three elements: a 2.6-mile swim, a 112-mile bike race and a 26-mile marathon - all one-after-another – Ironman provides one of the most challenging tests of physical endurance found anywhere on the planet. And, as a qualifying round for the Ironman World Championships, it will attract over 1500 competitors including many professional tri-athletes, all pushing themselves to their limits and determined to qualify for the world final in Hawaii.
As well as provide a real test for the competitors and bring a colourful sporting spectacle to the area, the event also generates considerable income for local businesses. Added to this, since 2003 and working in association with the Rotary clubs and other charitable organisations, Ironman UK events have raised nearly £400,000 for charities, both locally and on a global scale.

THE MARSHALS ROLE
Marshalling can be great fun! It provides an opportunity to be associated with this major sporting event and get close to the action. It also allows marshals to interact with the public and help with an event that is commercially beneficial to the area and raises money for worthy causes.
Marshals are positioned at each junction or at critical points on the route, in order to help the event run smoothly. Their role is to keep public and motorists informed of what is going on and to report if any competitors require assistance.
Following the experience of last year, organisers are expecting the event to be hugely popular and therefore, there are likely to be areas where large groups of spectators gather. Again, we ask that marshals ensure that the onlookers do not impede the competitors or allow them to stand in dangerous positions.
Before the race weekend full details will sent to each volunteer, clearly explaining the duties to be performed, where they are located and at what time. On the day, in advance of the first competitor, a sector marshal will visit each location to ensure everyone is in place and has the information they need.
Following this, the marshalling coordinator will also visit each point to deal with any issues that may have arisen and to hand out a goodie bag which includes an official race tee-shirt, drinks, snacks and a souvenir programme. However, we recommend that marshals bring their own lunch with them. Florescent tabards, marshals badges and other equipment required will also be provided.
Marshals are requested to be on duty at the following times, dependent on course position:
Cycle start: Between 6.15 – 7.30
Cycle finish: Between 13.30 – 15.30
Run start: Between: 10.30 – 12.00
Run finish: 23.00
Due to the amount of time for duties at some of the locations, we are aiming to run a two-shift system.

THE ROUTE
The event begins at 6.00am when athletes take to the water for the first element of Ironman. Around 45-minutes later, the first competitor emerges from the lake for Transition one and then embarks on the 112-mile cycle element.
The intrepid athletes cover a variety of terrain, winding through the lanes of rural Lancashire and around a loop which takes them through a series of villages and towns north and west of Bolton. They then continue for a further two laps to complete a total distance of 112 miles.
Transition two, sees the athletes swap their bikes for running shoes and start the Marathon, the run route leading competitors on a gruelling 26.2 mile trek out of Bolton before retracing their steps and heading back towards the town. They then repeat this journey, following the same route as before and finally returning to the centre of Bolton for a spectacular finish right outside the Town Hall.

Ok im interested, what now?
Please contact Robyn on 01935 424873 or email [email protected] for further information.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
ytfcwattsy wrote:

thanks
General. Given that some of these guys will be taking up to 16 hours to complete this event, your offer to pay £5 per hour to local charities is generous in the extreme. Well done. How many hours will you marshall for and which charity will you donate to?
oh i getcha... ha, was referencing big bob joylove, harry Enfield best character imo... funny you pulled me up on it........ now where's my train to Catford?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_tVlMprhKM

not changing the subject or owt :wink:

ytfcwattsy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ytfcwattsy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:10 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
ytfcwattsy wrote:

thanks
oh i getcha... ha, was referencing big bob joylove, harry Enfield best character imo... funny you pulled me up on it........ now where's my train to Catford?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_tVlMprhKM

not changing the subject or owt :wink:
so are you available then???

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm

sorry no. im exiled in Bristol at the moment.

ytfcwattsy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ytfcwattsy » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:25 pm

please guys and gals, we need some more marshalls, the event brang 3mil into the bolton economy last year and is expected to be bigger and much better this year

it only has to be a hour or two if you want and is a great chance to see a massive event in your area