The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:55 pm

just to say - neither Churchill nor Osborne are historians.

History graduates, I grant - though Churchill scraped through, i think, with a fourth class degree - but there's a long way from that to the research and analysis and cohesive thought that illuminates our understanding of the past in the best historians.

Churchill's 'History of the English Speaking Peoples' is just early cold war propaganda. Has Osborne produced any scholarly work at all?

Churchill, of course, was a political figure of immense international importance in the 20th Century.

As yet the jury is out on Osborne... :roll:

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm

...but not on Brown. :lmfao:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07 pm

point taken - I was allowing for a generous definition.

Nigel Davies was an MP and historian - he's long dead now though...

Geroge Osborne was William Hague's speech writer for a time - so has many works of fiction to his name.... (he also wrote PMQ jokes - maybe you could befriend him Pru?)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 pm

InsaneApache wrote:...but not on Brown. :lmfao:
"Bigot. Who's idea was it to let InsaneApache post anyway?"

May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote: We do have accountants and mathematicians doing the sums. These are a different set of people than the ones that talk about the sums in the House of Commons. They're Civil Servants not politicians. That's not to say the odd politician here and there hasn't had some background in mathematics or accountancy...
The whole point I was making Worthy is that everything is motivated by numbers. Always has been, always will be. A mere detail of history (like Cameron's boob about WWII) is irrelevant in the grand scheme of government. I have my doubts as to whether a lot of our leaders could actually name eight English monarchs.
Henrys 1-8 :mrgreen:

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote: no shit! double-dip here we come... then the savings made by hiring credit reference agencies to combat benefit fraud will be dwarfed 100-fold by the increase in the welfare budget from those genuinely unemployed....
Aye but you both forgot convienently about Browns solution of not cutting but continueing to spend, wherewould that leave us?
Call me old fashioned but I think that having taken us successfully out of a recession their aim was not to plunge us back into one.

Hey whadda I know?

OUT????
Call me old fashioned but I think that we were slap bang in the middle of a recession that was looking seriously like it was going to get like the Greeks!!! No money to pay anyone!

Hey whadda I know?
Ermm not much. Because we weren't in a recession and thats a fact.

Chances are we're about to plunge back into one.

Whilst I do not profess to be an economic expert of ANY sort Hoboh your last post is a bit of an embarrassment really.
It was "bob on" before.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote: We do have accountants and mathematicians doing the sums. These are a different set of people than the ones that talk about the sums in the House of Commons. They're Civil Servants not politicians. That's not to say the odd politician here and there hasn't had some background in mathematics or accountancy...
The whole point I was making Worthy is that everything is motivated by numbers. Always has been, always will be. A mere detail of history (like Cameron's boob about WWII) is irrelevant in the grand scheme of government. I have my doubts as to whether a lot of our leaders could actually name eight English monarchs.
Henrys 1-8 :mrgreen:
Keep up Hoboh. Why do you think I said eight ? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:35 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote: Aye but you both forgot convienently about Browns solution of not cutting but continueing to spend, wherewould that leave us?
Call me old fashioned but I think that having taken us successfully out of a recession their aim was not to plunge us back into one.

Hey whadda I know?

OUT????
Call me old fashioned but I think that we were slap bang in the middle of a recession that was looking seriously like it was going to get like the Greeks!!! No money to pay anyone!

Hey whadda I know?

Whilst I do not profess to be an economic expert of ANY sort Hoboh your last post is a bit of an embarrassment really.
It was "bob on" before.
Not so.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am

made me smile anyway... one of armando iannucci's (sp?) pieces...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FnmnuDiVno&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FnmnuDiVno&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Call me old fashioned but I think that having taken us successfully out of a recession their aim was not to plunge us back into one.

Hey whadda I know?

OUT????

Hey whadda I know?

It was "bob on" before.
Not so.
So in the very centre of this pile of quotes what are you on about?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:19 pm

thebish wrote:made me smile anyway... one of armando iannucci's (sp?) pieces...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FnmnuDiVno&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-FnmnuDiVno&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
That was ace!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:23 pm

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:00 pm

'm sure that all MP's are warned not to use their "shoot yourself in the foot" pistols whilst driving. I also think their lawyers ask "Is any member of your family ill, as we could use that as a possible excuse" as a matter of course. As for driving with no insurance for four months, gee, you try it. I'm sure the courts will be very lenient.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:12 pm

The insurance one is understandable, of course she should be punished for it, but one can understand how it has happened without any intention to break the law. The mobile phone on eis at best downright stupid, and at worst an example of a sense of superiority to the law. Daft cow.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:The insurance one is understandable, of course she should be punished for it, but one can understand how it has happened without any intention to break the law. The mobile phone on eis at best downright stupid, and at worst an example of a sense of superiority to the law. Daft cow.
It seems the more educated you get, the more stupid you become. He'll be saying that Pol Pot was just misunderstood next! Honestly, some peeps.

:whack:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:24 am

InsaneApache wrote:
Prufrock wrote:The insurance one is understandable, of course she should be punished for it, but one can understand how it has happened without any intention to break the law. The mobile phone on eis at best downright stupid, and at worst an example of a sense of superiority to the law. Daft cow.
It seems the more educated you get, the more stupid you become. He'll be saying that Pol Pot was just misunderstood next! Honestly, some peeps.

:whack:
She should be flogged!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:36 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:New Labour. Alive and well. :wink:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... e#comments

I think I'm probably being thick and missing something...

what is "new labour" about an MP getting caught on the phone whilst driving and with lapsed insurance?

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:47 am

http://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/How_to_vot ... actice.htm

Time to vote tommorow.

Pirate party can't be voted for yet.
So I'll probably vote for the Sex Party then the Greens.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:15 am

Funniest thing ive read all week

David Miliband's guide to hosting a party in support of his leadership campaign...actually genuine

http://tinyurl.com/299gcd9

Sign in sheets! Introductory videos!
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:17 am

Verbal wrote:Funniest thing ive read all week

David Miliband's guide to hosting a party in support of his leadership campaign...actually genuine

http://www.davidmiliband.net/wp-content ... id...-.pdf

Sign in sheets! Introductory videos!
You link's bossted, Verbal.

Edit: Ah, reet oh!