Today I'm angry about.....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
thebish wrote:I saw the start of a report on the telly today about the rise in homelessness..

the bloke said..

"Today it was revealed that homelessness has increased to record levels. The real tragedy is that 20% of them are women."

really??? what about the tragedy of a whopping 80% being men? Or is it 5x more of a tragedy for a woman to be homeless than a man?
What I would like to know though Bish, is how many have made themselves intentionaly homeless. IE Being evicted for a whole list of misdemeanours from racking up gazzillions in unpaid rents, to arson, drug activity etc? I bet it's a lot.
Just saying like...............
I'd say most people are intentionally made homeless. By personal inability to cope with families, being made unemployed, unable to pay bills due to addiction to alcohol/ gambling/ narcotics etc.

Some choose this life. Most don't but have nothing else.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:31 pm

Intentionally homeless? What the f*ck is that?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
thebish wrote:I saw the start of a report on the telly today about the rise in homelessness..

the bloke said..

"Today it was revealed that homelessness has increased to record levels. The real tragedy is that 20% of them are women."

really??? what about the tragedy of a whopping 80% being men? Or is it 5x more of a tragedy for a woman to be homeless than a man?
What I would like to know though Bish, is how many have made themselves intentionaly homeless. IE Being evicted for a whole list of misdemeanours from racking up gazzillions in unpaid rents, to arson, drug activity etc? I bet it's a lot.
Just saying like...............

I used to work with the homeless many moons ago - back then the biggest percentages were ex-army blokes who couldn't cope outside the intitutionalized world of the army - then blokes who had been divorced - wife gets the house with the kids - b&b - homelessness - then people with mental illness...

are they "intentionally homeless"? you be the judge...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:42 pm

Prufrock wrote:Intentionally homeless? What the f*ck is that?
It was quite popular after WWII Pru. Men found they couldn't adjust to real life after returning from the horrors they had seen. They became 'Gentlemen of the road' or Tramps, if you prefer. Itinerant labour may be another way of describing them or economic migrants because they travelled the countryside working for food and sleeping in ditches.

That's not what most of the homeless city dwellers are today, though. Different climate but a similair predisposition to not be able to cope with modern life.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:58 pm

Car insurance. Thieving, robbing bastards. Quoted a massive increase despite having an extra years no claims.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
It was quite popular after WWII Pru. Men found they couldn't adjust to real life after returning from the horrors they had seen. They became 'Gentlemen of the road' or Tramps, if you prefer. Itinerant labour may be another way of describing them or economic migrants because they travelled the countryside working for food and sleeping in ditches.

That's not what most of the homeless city dwellers are today, though. Different climate but a similair predisposition to not be able to cope with modern life.
I didn't realise it was an actual term, thought we just had a very insensitive pirate :D. Just looked it up. Still strikes me as a monumentally crass piece of terminology though!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm still trying to work out how racking up debts makes you "intentionally homeless"?????
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

I didn't realise it was an actual term, thought we just had a very insensitive pirate :D. Just looked it up. Still strikes me as a monumentally crass piece of terminology though!

and it is utter ball-wrenching bollox...

by far the largest reasons for homelessness are family breakup - the wife usually gets the house and the bloke falls through a net... or - a growing issue since "care in the community" - mental illness. Add to that kids who are abused or thrown out by step-fathers...

to use the word "intentional" is crass and shows a remarkable lack of insight into the issue.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:42 pm

thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

by far the largest reasons for homelessness are family breakup - the wife usually gets the house and the bloke falls through a net... or - a growing issue since "care in the community" - mental illness. Add to that kids who are abused or thrown out by step-fathers...

to use the word "intentional" is crass and shows a remarkable lack of insight into the issue.
Indeed. I was under the impression most were gradual lose the house then go B&B run out of money, 'it'll just be for one night' style people, and PTSD/just can't readjust army people. Neither of which I'd say were 'intentional'. Nor even is 'running out of money' as LK says. It's shocking really that such large scale homelessness can go on in this day and age, as is how remarkably easy it is to become desensitised by the issue just by living in a big city.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:10 am

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Indeed. I was under the impression most were gradual lose the house then go B&B run out of money, 'it'll just be for one night' style people, and PTSD/just can't readjust army people. Neither of which I'd say were 'intentional'. Nor even is 'running out of money' as LK says. It's shocking really that such large scale homelessness can go on in this day and age, as is how remarkably easy it is to become desensitised by the issue just by living in a big city.
I came out of the Royal Navy after many years of followong a routine that gave me food, shelter and money. On the day I left, that was it. Not even a handshake. Just a wave of the hand, rail warrant to Farnworth and my rather small case of belongings. Right. What do I do first? You know? I just didn't know. Never really heard of doles and employment exchanges. I didn't even get to Farnworth. Stopped off in London and been here ever since. It's one heck of a learning curve and I can understand ex-military types falling through the net. Mrs GD and I often stop off to chat to the homeless blokes along the Strand and through Covent Garden, mainly ex-military jus dumped on the street really. There's no responsibility on any council to house single men, women or couples without kids, unless there is some vulnerability. Even then some person in a warm office makes decisions that lots of us don't like but the guidelines seem to be quite rigid.
Course, lots of council properties flogged off so big shortage of social housing.
Fortunately my flying experience opened quite a number of doors but there isn't much hope for a bloke just back from Iraq/Afghanistan whose only real skill is "Soldiering". This nation has never been a land fit for heroes. In fact once the fighting is over they become an embarrassment to government who want to forget. Pity. But there it is.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:58 am

when i was involved with homelessness workers in London - we mostly encountered the last of the WW2 ex-forces homeless guys - many of whom had signed up as teenagers - and after many years of service simply wound up on the street - quite a few with mental trauma caused by theur experience, and alongside it a hugely growing tide of young-homeless displaced by step fathers or abusive uncles... nowadays I think the biggest constituency is the mentally ill... (care in the community)

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:36 am

Sorry Bish, but today I'm angry about this:-

to use the word "intentional" is crass and shows a remarkable lack of insight into the issue.[/i]

If only you knew my background. But this is not the forum to discuss such issues. Far too personal

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:58 am

Il Pirate wrote:Sorry Bish, but today I'm angry about this:-

to use the word "intentional" is crass and shows a remarkable lack of insight into the issue.[/i]

If only you knew my background. But this is not the forum to discuss such issues. Far too personal

May I suggest a quick P.M.to thebish? If you don't want to discuss 'this' in the public forum, it may help you (and he) understand the point of view. Must admit I'm intrigued though.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:22 pm

by far the largest reasons for homelessness are family breakup - the wife usually gets the house and the bloke falls through a net..
This.

Just over twenty years ago, Mrs. Apache MKI decided that she's bugger off with a young beau. Although initially leaving me with two kids under 6, she eventually got a brief who 'advised' her to get the kids. One year later she did. I was in hospital at the time and when I got out, the house locks had been changed and it had been put on the market.

I was homeless for about a month but I was one of the lucky ones. I had a job. God knows how I would have fared if I'd have been on the dole.

It's a crime that one of the wealthiest nations on the planet has guys sleeping rough. Not all are winos and druggies and even if they were, they need help, not condemnation.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:27 pm

InsaneApache wrote:
by far the largest reasons for homelessness are family breakup - the wife usually gets the house and the bloke falls through a net..
This.

Just over twenty years ago, Mrs. Apache MKI decided that she's bugger off with a young beau. Although initially leaving me with two kids under 6, she eventually got a brief who 'advised' her to get the kids. One year later she did. I was in hospital at the time and when I got out, the house locks had been changed and it had been put on the market.

I was homeless for about a month but I was one of the lucky ones. I had a job. God knows how I would have fared if I'd have been on the dole.

It's a crime that one of the wealthiest nations on the planet has guys sleeping rough. Not all are winos and druggies and even if they were, they need help, not condemnation.
Indeed, and I'd imagine in a case of a lot of the winos and druggies, that comes after the homelessness.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:29 pm

Dentists, the robbing bastards. £20 for a check up, £20 for an x-ray, £20 for a scale and polish, despite my teeth being OK. The worst of it was that the receptionist misread the 'bill' and tried to charge me £120!!!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
InsaneApache wrote:
This.

Indeed, and I'd imagine in a case of a lot of the winos and druggies, that comes after the homelessness.
indeed it does...

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 pm

I did get pissed quite a lot in them there days. I defy anyone in that position not to.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:32 pm

ratbert wrote:Dentists, the robbing bastards. £20 for a check up, £20 for an x-ray, £20 for a scale and polish, despite my teeth being OK. The worst of it was that the receptionist misread the 'bill' and tried to charge me £120!!!
Add vets to that. Check-ups, x-rays and perscriptions for pets cost more than the same for humans.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
ratbert wrote:Dentists, the robbing bastards. £20 for a check up, £20 for an x-ray, £20 for a scale and polish, despite my teeth being OK. The worst of it was that the receptionist misread the 'bill' and tried to charge me £120!!!
Add vets to that. Check-ups, x-rays and perscriptions for pets cost more than the same for humans.
Cheaper just to get another dog in that case - let the older one perish and start again.