The hockey season...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
seanworth wrote:Congratulations on the victory last night. Suitable timing after the passing away of Pat Burns. He's the last coach of the Leafs that I actually liked.
Thanks - I'm afraid I sneaked in a reference in the angry thread. Burns was an interesting man - a Francophone cop with an Irish name, who became a pretty successful coach but who could also alienate people. He had got the cancer in remission a couple of times. There was an excellent tribute before the game and you can see a report on TSN. RIP.
Thanks I will check it out a bit later.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Re: The hockey season...

Post by seanworth » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:27 am

Well the Leafs are up for sale and might be sold for 1.3 billion . O.k. it includes the MLS soccer team, the Rapter NBA team and a minor hockey team, but they must be valuing the leafs at around 1 billion. Can't imagine their value if they had actually won anything the past 40+ years.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:06 pm

seanworth wrote:Well the Leafs are up for sale and might be sold for 1.3 billion . O.k. it includes the MLS soccer team, the Rapter NBA team and a minor hockey team, but they must be valuing the leafs at around 1 billion. Can't imagine their value if they had actually won anything the past 40+ years.
The $1.3 billion is only for 66% - the part owned by the Teacher's pension fund. :shock: I think the Leafs are valued at around $750 million. However, I don't think the deal is even close and the pension fund has been trying to sell its share for over a year.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: The $1.3 billion is only for 66% - the part owned by the Teacher's pension fund. :shock: I think the Leafs are valued at around $750 million. However, I don't think the deal is even close and the pension fund has been trying to sell its share for over a year.
i think that pension fund wants to buy / did buy the company that runs the lottery over here.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm

a1 wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: The $1.3 billion is only for 66% - the part owned by the Teacher's pension fund. :shock: I think the Leafs are valued at around $750 million. However, I don't think the deal is even close and the pension fund has been trying to sell its share for over a year.
i think that pension fund wants to buy / did buy the company that runs the lottery over here.
Lotteries are usually run by government agencies but.... :conf:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Lotteries are usually run by government agencies but.... :conf:
not here. its contracted out by the goverment.

to these peeps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelot_Group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:27 pm

a1 wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: Lotteries are usually run by government agencies but.... :conf:
not here. its contracted out by the goverment.

to these peeps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelot_Group" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not in Ontario though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Lo ... orporation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - I'm not sure how the teachers' pension fund could get hold of it.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Not in Ontario though (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario_Lo ... orporation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - I'm not sure how the teachers' pension fund could get hold of it.
to clear up any confusion [if there is any], this Canadian pension fund company is trying to buy the firm that owns the license to run the lottery 'over here' in the uk. not any canadian based lottery or its regulators.

unless youre saying it breaks canadian 'gaming law' in some way (them buying this foreign firm - "the camelot group" that runs the uk lottery) ....

anyway theyre after spending nearly £400 million on it / them.

its pretty mental that some kinda pension fund directly owns various bigcorps, like its some kinda venture capitalist company.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:12 am

Ah. Sorry, my mistake - no law against overseas investment.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:46 am

I see the Leafs and the Habs face off against each other again tonight. Feeling confident Monty?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:42 pm

There's a Hockney season on at the National gallery this month...

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Must be a Habs fan.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 am

Checked this site out first today before checking the sports and pretty much knew the result based upon Monty's lack of response. Yes the Leafs beat the Habs. No wonder he wasn't in the mood for any puns.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:33 pm

seanworth wrote:Checked this site out first today before checking the sports and pretty much knew the result based upon Monty's lack of response. Yes the Leafs beat the Habs. No wonder he wasn't in the mood for any puns.
I was actually at a party and missed the game - saw the highlights later. A close game with an emptynetter to close it out. I guess we are only 12 points ahead now.... :(

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:41 pm

thebish wrote:There's a Hockney season on at the National gallery this month...

Can you whack this into the art debate, Chief? I love this. His use of pale blue to refelct the light is magnificent. Also, the bronze tinge with which he's affected the wall paper. :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Another win for the Bruins and the Canadiens are in disarray. Plus they are all whinging about the coach who doesn’t speak French.

Who are the best teams in the NHL right now? I obviously would vote for the Bruins, but I am finding it hard to identify one team who is clearly ahead of the pack. Should be a good run-in and a great playoffs.

Also looking forward to the new format next year with the new "conferences".