Gym Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Gym Thread

Post by thebish » Sun May 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote:Went to the gym today so I can laze around all day tomorrow drinking beer and eating takeaways.
:lol: The gym I go to is a private one attached to the physio.

:shock: how does THAT work??

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
:lol: The gym I go to is a private one attached to the physio. He's an ex Mr Universe competitor
Stuart Cosgrove's place, Harry?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun May 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
:lol: The gym I go to is a private one attached to the physio. He's an ex Mr Universe competitor
It is! Do you know him then? Great bloke and superb physio
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
It is! Do you know him then? Great bloke and superb physio
We lived close by as kids and went to the same primary school, though he's a few years older than me. I knew his sister better. Lovely bloke as I recall.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Thu May 17, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm about 5'11" and 11 stone. Trying to bulk up a bit at the moment.

I'd been noticing that the day after a workout I was really tired, no energy on top of the soreness. The next big workout I had I tried having a big greasy kebab/SFC/potato takeaway and I felt fine the following day. Obviously, not loving the saturated fats. Anyone got any post workout meal tips?
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

dave1980
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by dave1980 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:I'm about 5'11" and 11 stone. Trying to bulk up a bit at the moment.

I'd been noticing that the day after a workout I was really tired, no energy on top of the soreness. The next big workout I had I tried having a big greasy kebab/SFC/potato takeaway and I felt fine the following day. Obviously, not loving the saturated fats. Anyone got any post workout meal tips?
1) Get some protein and carbs down you within 20 minutes of your workout
2) Eat a meal about an hour after the workout

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:I'm about 5'11" and 11 stone. Trying to bulk up a bit at the moment.

Warm down stretches will help with the muscle soreness. Definitely protein within twenty minutes.

Energy wise, have porridge for breakfast. Garnish with honey/ blueberries/ banana, get lots of sleep, drink water through the day, eat carbs about two to three hours before your workout.

I'm not sure if you've mentioned it but do you run? At 5'11'' and 11 stone you're about ideal for a distance runner.

Gail Platz
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Gail Platz » Fri May 18, 2012 12:23 am

The same as what the others are saying really, however if you're going for carbs, stick to some that aren't littered with sat fats.

I was stunned the other day when I saw a packet of noodles had over 10 grams of sat fat in, yet the same amount of boiled rice had about 0.3 grams.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri May 18, 2012 1:16 pm

dave1980 wrote:1) Get some protein and carbs down you within 20 minutes of your workout
2) Eat a meal about an hour after the workout
When I get home there are a couple of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. I guess a protein shake immediately post-workout is the best thing but I'm cutting back on dairy.

In terms of the meal, I think I just need to increase the cals from (500-1000) to (1000-2000), instead of (2000+ greasy takeaway meal).
Gary the Enfield wrote:Energy wise, have porridge for breakfast. Garnish with honey/ blueberries/ banana, get lots of sleep, drink water through the day, eat carbs about two to three hours before your workout.
Every day I have (religiously) porridge with a square of dark chocolate, coconut and sultanas or raisins. I might try the honey/banana thing as there are definitely some in the house.
Gary the Enfield wrote:I'm not sure if you've mentioned it but do you run? At 5'11'' and 11 stone you're about ideal for a distance runner.
One track mind? :lol:
Gail Platz wrote:I was stunned the other day when I saw a packet of noodles had over 10 grams of sat fat in, yet the same amount of boiled rice had about 0.3 grams.
That's crazy! I guess non-processed is always greater than processed. Someone was looking at different cans of baked beans the other day. Even some reduced sugar/salt beans have more than other brands that aren't labelled as reduced salt/sugar. Might try some wholemeal rice/tuna/veg tonight and see how that goes.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
I'm not sure if you've mentioned it but do you run? At 5'11'' and 11 stone you're about ideal for a distance runner.

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
One track mind?

Just trying to help. What are you bulking up for anyway?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Gail Platz wrote: I was stunned the other day when I saw a packet of noodles had over 10 grams of sat fat in, yet the same amount of boiled rice had about 0.3 grams.
They're fried during production, I believe.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Fri May 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Gary the Enfield wrote:

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
One track mind?

No offense meant, I was going to write in the athletics thread that I've recently started living with a couple of dogs. One of them likes to run in a straight line as fast as he can. Started taking him for "walks" round the local park. It's only a little dog but he can go really fast and never gives up, am really enjoying being dragged around the park by him. Am finding that I could use better footwear, as per advice from here I should really get fitted but just need to budget for them.

The bulking up is mainly cosmetic/psychological but I like resistance work too.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri May 18, 2012 3:04 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:Gary the Enfield wrote:

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
One track mind?

No offense meant, I was going to write in the athletics thread that I've recently started living with a couple of dogs. One of them likes to run in a straight line as fast as he can. Started taking him for "walks" round the local park. It's only a little dog but he can go really fast and never gives up, am really enjoying being dragged around the park by him. Am finding that I could use better footwear, as per advice from here I should really get fitted but just need to budget for them.

The bulking up is mainly cosmetic/psychological but I like resistance work too.

None taken. I can be a bit evangelical sometimes. :P

Plus there's always this:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... AYyhp0LJ8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mate of mine runs his Huskies.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri May 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote: No offense meant, I was going to write in the athletics thread that I've recently started living with a couple of dogs.
That goes in the "Fnarr!!" thread.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri May 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote: http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... AYyhp0LJ8g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mate of mine runs his Huskies.

the other week my mum went to a uk husky sled race....

lots more people are buying (or worse- crossing) huskies over here... what they don't realise is that huskies are bred to run - and run - and run - and run - in a straight line - without stopping!!

if you let one off in Bolton - it'd run to Dundee - in a straight line - stopping for nothing!!!

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Sat May 19, 2012 7:33 am

Wandering Willy wrote:
Armchair Wanderer wrote: No offense meant, I was going to write in the athletics thread that I've recently started living with a couple of dogs.
That goes in the "Fnarr!!" thread.

Could we have a "Fnarr!!" thread? We're having some service work done at my department at work, it's all on a security scan so I told the lad doing it "just rattle my back doors and I'll let you in"...
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun May 27, 2012 10:37 pm

:lol: Reminds me of Fat Harry White. I remember one time he went next door to lay his neighbour's shagpile while her husband was away. Fitting a carpet never sounded so dirty.

Apparently I'm a "skinny fat ectomorph". Was reading all about it. Was doing most of the advice already but have decided to workout more often and eat even more protein. Found a couple of outdoor gyms in local parks, have decided to go and use them when it's nice weather as an alternative to the proper gym.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:20 pm

I nipped down to the gym tonight, first time in a while. I asked the instructor "Which machine do you think i should use to try to impress that blonde over there?"

He said "I suppose you could always try the cash machine, you fat c*nt". :(

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I nipped down to the gym tonight, first time in a while. I asked the instructor "Which machine do you think i should use to try to impress that blonde over there?"

He said "I suppose you could always try the cash machine, you fat c*nt". :(
:lol:

Should be in the joke thread, no?

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:36 am

Chocolate milk or low fat vanilla ice cream, provides the insulin spike need to aid protein synthesis and result in muscle growth. So from this you get protein, carbohydrates in the form of sugar, calcium, low level of fat and well it tastes good