The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 pm

You should take up High Jump instead of track bish, whilst wearing your cassock please :)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:31 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:You should take up High Jump instead of track bish, whilst wearing your cassock please :)
pole vault is more my thing....

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:53 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:You should take up High Jump instead of track bish, whilst wearing your cassock please :)

I think BWFCi was suggesting something in the equestrian field, what with your predeliction for high horses. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

I think BWFCi was suggesting something in the equestrian field, what with your predeliction for high horses. :wink:
he never comes on this thread - it's a BWFCi-free zone! (that was Verbal anyway!)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Posting this here rather then the reading thread:

Many years ago I read a novel which I'm sure was called "Clancy's Run". Twas based on a long-distance run over several days. It was really intruiging . I've looked everywhere, Google, Wiki etc, but can't find a tace of it. Pity really because it was very good. Don't suppose anyone read it?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:46 pm

thebish wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
thebish wrote:

he never comes on this thread - it's a BWFCi-free zone! (that was Verbal anyway!)

Indeed.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Good luck with the GNR Gary. You aiming for a specific time? I'll be interested to know your thoughts on it afterwards.

Am I right in thinking you've already done sub 1.40? It's what I'm aiming for at Blackpool on Sunday but not sure i've done enough training lately tbh and am already starting to feel the odd niggle.

Like the sound of the 12 minute session. Do you do it as a single session on its own i.e. warm up, 12 minute dash, then cool down or as part of a longer program?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:33 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:Good luck with the GNR Gary. You aiming for a specific time? I'll be interested to know your thoughts on it afterwards.

Am I right in thinking you've already done sub 1.40? It's what I'm aiming for at Blackpool on Sunday but not sure i've done enough training lately tbh and am already starting to feel the odd niggle.

Like the sound of the 12 minute session. Do you do it as a single session on its own i.e. warm up, 12 minute dash, then cool down or as part of a longer program?
HG I've no expectation of GNR. I have run 1:36 before but this may be a little too busy for a pb. To be honest it's just to say I've done it and if I'm under 1:45 I'll be happy. Saving my pb for the course I did it on last year (St. Neots)

The 12 minute dash is just that. 12 minutes as fast and far as you can. I was about 400 yards from home so I walked and then I did a stretch warm down.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:36 pm

Did the Blackpool Half this morning. Not sure of my final time but once again failed to break 1.40. Ran with a Garmin today and probably let it dictate my run a bit too much. As a result I set off too fast and didn't finish as strong as I usually do. To be honest though I probably hadn't been training hard enough. All part of the learning process I spose :|
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:01 pm

You did 13 miles in 1:40? Very well done, mate. Be proud of yourself. Last time I did the Parkrun I set off with the Gazelles. It wants some getting back doesn't it? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:You did 13 miles in 1:40? Very well done, mate. Be proud of yourself. Last time I did the Parkrun I set off with the Gazelles. It wants some getting back doesn't it? :D
:D Cheers Bruce - it certainly does!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:You did 13 miles in 1:40? Very well done, mate. Be proud of yourself. Last time I did the Parkrun I set off with the Gazelles. It wants some getting back doesn't it? :D
:D Cheers Bruce - it certainly does!
Well done HG. Don't knock yourself out about 1:40

That's still a great time.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 am

Latest attempt to improve my time. Interval training. I went to the track tonight and took part in a core training session. Lots of strides, hops stretches and 100m sprints before we launched into a 1500m time trial (5:36).

Following this we did a set of squats and push ups. Holding a pole above our heads we dud 21 squats then a 100m sprint then 21 push ups. The next set was the same but 15 of each. Then the same but just 9 of each. More jumps strides stretches planks and resistance exercises and then the session was done. Feel great this morning and pleased I kept up with the sub 20 boys and girls and some people 25 years younger than me.

Following this

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:18 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:Latest attempt to improve my time. Interval training. I went to the track tonight and took part in a core training session. Lots of strides, hops stretches and 100m sprints before we launched into a 1500m time trial (5:36).

Following this we did a set of squats and push ups. Holding a pole above our heads we dud 21 squats then a 100m sprint then 21 push ups. The next set was the same but 15 of each. Then the same but just 9 of each. More jumps strides stretches planks and resistance exercises and then the session was done. Feel great this morning and pleased I kept up with the sub 20 boys and girls and some people 25 years younger than me.

Following this
I'm always pleased when I can keep up with 7 year olds too! Oh! You mean 20 year olds?! ;)

IggyTheDawgster
Reliable
Reliable

Post by IggyTheDawgster » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:45 pm

I wish I could run like I used to. Both my ankles are pretty busted now though, So I tend to stick to the bike.
It ain't easy, Sleazy even, Deceiving those we, Believe in.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:24 pm

IggyTheDawgster wrote:I wish I could run like I used to. Both my ankles are pretty busted now though, So I tend to stick to the bike.

I'd suggest bandages. That sounds grim.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 pm

11 miles tonight. 1:28:52

Just a fraction over 8 minute miling. Tired but happy.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Back on the treadmill again finally.

Couple of 27:15 5k's this week.

Also tired but happy, and a bit sore.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:29 pm

Due to work and other commitments I was struggling to fit my runs in these last few weeks so yesterday and today I managed to drag myself out of bed at 6am and got out and did 6 miles both days. Never done it before but found it a great way to wake up, start work quite refreshed and my evenings are free.

How easy its going to be when its peeing down and frosty out I've no idea :?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Due to work and other commitments I was struggling to fit my runs in these last few weeks so yesterday and today I managed to drag myself out of bed at 6am and got out and did 6 miles both days. Never done it before but found it a great way to wake up, start work quite refreshed and my evenings are free.

How easy its going to be when its peeing down and frosty out I've no idea :?
6am?! I could never get up at that time regulalrly! Used to manage 4.30am when i was working on the farm and milking, and can just about manage 7.30am but theres a big black hole inbetween where it just seems impossible to get up.

Well done though!

Am feeling quite motivated now i'm back from holiday has have a new nike app thing thats more specific and accurate then my old one and maps your route as you go. looking forward to trying it out.