The Religion Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Religion Thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:47 am

Hoboh wrote: 20th Century bish! AK47.
And for those of us in the 21st? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Hoboh wrote: 20th Century bish! AK47.
And for those of us in the 21st? :conf:
AK47's surfaced in the 20th century :wink: and we are talking old relics here :mrgreen:

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:14 pm

I might as well throw my ten-penneth in...as a practicising Roman Catholic, I believe in the principles of faith the Church teach though I do find the intransigence on certain issues, particularly on contraception frustrating.
Last edited by Salford Trotter on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Voice Of Reason

benn
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by benn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 pm

for my ten-penneth I was brought up in a strict RC environment. A horrible experience.

Whilst I have no problems with people who need belief, I pity them. However I think the recent changes in the anti hate laws which state I must respect belief systems are simply wrong.

What I do find offensive are those who want Intelligent Design taught alongside evolution in schools

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:11 pm

benn wrote:for my ten-penneth I was brought up in a strict RC environment. A horrible experience.

Whilst I have no problems with people who need belief, I pity them. However I think the recent changes in the anti hate laws which state I must respect belief systems are simply wrong.

What I do find offensive are those who want Intelligent Design taught alongside evolution in schools
At least you can take comfort that you recovered from that childhood and can live your life free of that superstition, which is fantastic... Some never do...

but what are these 'changes in anti-hate laws' you refer to?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:18 pm

benn wrote:for my ten-penneth I was brought up in a strict RC environment. A horrible experience.
I too was brought up in a strict RC environment. Eight years as an altar boy I knew all the services backwards and most in Latin (most things were back then). Highlight of my "carreer" was serving mass in the Shrine Chapel at Knock in Ireland. Outside the Vatican and Lourdes, it doesn't get much holier than that. *halo*

None of it did me any harm whatsoever, because as soon as I was old enough to reason things for my self I had the chance to do so. Don't we all?
My first real kick against the system was when I went to a protestant school on leaving primary. We weren't allowed to have religious instruction (despite few real differences) or attend assembley and sing protestant hymns, or go into non-Catholic churches. That came across as reall silly. Praying to God doesn't need to be in a Catholic cathedral or anywhere else for that matter. Since then I've attended weddings, funerals and Christenings in almost every denomination of church going. Didn't Jesus say somewhere we didn't even need to be seen to pray?
Anyway, my basic beliefs are unchanged, but Jerusalem has always been one of my favourite hymns and I'll sing it where I like. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:12 pm

does it really say that?? can you quote it for me?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:but Jerusalem has always been one of my favourite hymns and I'll sing it where I like. :wink:

and the answer to the question at the start of verse one is.... no - did they bollox!

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:02 pm

That's quite sad Benn and I've no desire to understand what made you feel that way but for everyone that feels the way you do about their religious upbringing, Catholic, Jewish or otherwise thankfully there'll be plenty that think that they experienced something much more positive.
The Voice Of Reason

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Salford Trotter wrote:

That's quite sad Benn and I've no desire to understand what made you feel that way but for everyone that feels the way you do about their religious upbringing, Catholic, Jewish or otherwise thankfully there'll be plenty that think that they experienced something much more positive.
Agreed, S.T. If I could start all over again I wouldn't wish to change a thing of my childhood, including my Catholic upbringing. I could almost say I loved it in fact.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 am

The basic idea about God and what have you was a good one till everyone started inventing their own version when they disagreed with something!
I still can never get past the loving caring God who permits the sh*t that happens and has happend, the God worshippers who kill, maim and blight the life of others, it makes no sense.
And what really does my head in are the fools who preach it's all part of the great plan, what fookin' plan?
I believe there are good people, who sometimes make mistakes and bad people who should not be allowed to exist.
Simple

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 am

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:but Jerusalem has always been one of my favourite hymns and I'll sing it where I like. :wink:

and the answer to the question at the start of verse one is.... no - did they bollox!
Improbable I agree, but surely for the Son of God all things are possible... :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:But, joking aside...

Doctor Faustus (Marlowe). Not as good as Goethe in my opinion, but obviously has historical precedent.

go on....

would that be Scene 7, lines 83-84? (wiki)
But have you read the book though, that is the question? It's one of those, a bit like Trollope or Eliot, that are classics and everyone knows of them, but a very very large majority of people have never read.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

benn
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by benn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:20 am

William the White wrote: but what are these 'changes in anti-hate laws' you refer to?
I suppose that I don't wish to be told I must respect systems which promote what I would call medieval practices and behaviour, some of which are still against the laws of this country but now seem to be "brushed" under the carpet as the authorities who in the past would come across these and report them simply turn a blind eye or don't investigate because of a fear factor.

I could start a movement who believe Santa is real and if I get enough followers it would become illegal to ridicule me or it in case they offend me.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 am

benn wrote:
William the White wrote: but what are these 'changes in anti-hate laws' you refer to?
I suppose that I don't wish to be told I must respect systems which promote what I would call medieval practices and behaviour, some of which are still against the laws of this country but now seem to be "brushed" under the carpet as the authorities who in the past would come across these and report them simply turn a blind eye or don't investigate because of a fear factor.

which laws say you have to do that? can you be specific - because I have never seen them...
benn wrote:I could start a movement who believe Santa is real and if I get enough followers it would become illegal to ridicule me or it in case they offend me.
no it wouldn't.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
Improbable I agree, but surely for the Son of God all things are possible... :wink:
Since little or nothing is known of what Jesus did or where he went for about twenty years of his life, I'd be somewhat hesitant in even offering an opinion. The Glastonbury legends are well documented enough. Never come across "did they bollox" amongst them though. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm sticking with... err..

did they bollox.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 pm

thebish wrote:I'm sticking with... err..

did they bollox.
Posting on the religion thread on TW doesn't count as 'working' this lunchtime, you know... ;)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:I'm sticking with... err..

did they bollox.
Posting on the religion thread on TW doesn't count as 'working' this lunchtime, you know... ;)
He's doing what I'm doing... Social Notworking.

I too reckon did they bollox. Couldn't just nip over on Ryanair for a quick visit to Knock in those days.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote: I too reckon did they bollox. Couldn't just nip over on Ryanair for a quick visit to Knock in those days.
I've never flown there, just always went by sea; sailed there, just like all those pilgrim chaps and early missionaries did. That the word of God/Christianity was widely spread is well known, even by the "bollox" historians.