General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:34 pm

thebish wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:The female consensus in the office (Unanimous - all 11 of them. aged from 29 to 64) reckon the bloke should pay on the first date and Dutch is acceptable thereafter. To a woman they all think that the bloke is a. Tight b. Not very intuitive c. Lacking in emotional intelligence and d. Nowhere near worth another date.

That told me!
did you ask them why it is considered that a bloke should pay on the first date? I mean - seriously, why is this the case??
More chance of getting in their knickers. After that's done why pay the lot?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:35 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I think it's politeness.

But I'm old.
But isn't it one of those things that is just "done" but really there is no rhyme or reason for it anymore?

There is no reason in the current day why a woman should not pay, for example. Other than historically they did not.

But times have moved on from when a man paying was founded in reason and "logic".

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:39 pm

it's just being nice, innit?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

But I'm old.
But isn't it one of those things that is just "done" but really there is no rhyme or reason for it anymore?

There is no reason in the current day why a woman should not pay, for example. Other than historically they did not.

But times have moved on from when a man paying was founded in reason and "logic".
I'm probably old-fashioned but go with the man should pay (or at least offer to). I hold doors open for women and people older than me (though the latter are increasingly hard to find) and there is no reason or logic in this. Just the way we were brought up.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

But I'm old.

I tend to find that anything to do with women doesn't have a lot to do with reason and logic.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But I'm old.

I tend to find that anything to do with women doesn't have a lot to do with reason and logic.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But I'm old.

I presume those 37 photos are on some sort of "paid subscription site"? :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:13 pm

But I'm old.
indeed - I understand that - but why is it politeness for a man to pay but not politeness for a woman to pay? (regardless of age.) can women not be polite? why is it assumed that men should be the polite ones??

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Damm! Why just not blast the lot off into space and dump it on the moon? With the bill getting as large as it is money should not be a problem!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:39 pm

thebish wrote:

But I'm old.
indeed - I understand that - but why is it politeness for a man to pay but not politeness for a woman to pay? (regardless of age.) can women not be polite? why is it assumed that men should be the polite ones??
Coz it is.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Hoboh wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117

Damm! Why just not blast the lot off into space and dump it on the moon? With the bill getting as large as it is money should not be a problem!!
Blasting it into outer space is the best solution, that's well understood .... just aim it at the sun. In the end the sun is just a giant nuclear reactior.

However, until we can be absolutely certain of flights out of the atmosphere being fault-proof, maybe it's not the best idea.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Maybe any future moon travellers could each take a couple of pocketfuls of nuclear waste with them and distribute it down their trouser legs onto the moon's surface as they walk about a-la the Great Escape?
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

Blasting it into outer space is the best solution, that's well understood .... just aim it at the sun. In the end the sun is just a giant nuclear reactior.

However, until we can be absolutely certain of flights out of the atmosphere being fault-proof, maybe it's not the best idea.
Yep. I can see the headlines now... "China not too chuffed after an American rocket launching British nuclear waste has failed and today broken up over Beijing"
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:27 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Yep. I can see the headlines now... "China not too chuffed after an American rocket launching British nuclear waste has failed and today broken up over Beijing"
Why China? I should have thought N Korea was more apt :mrgreen:
Anyway I'm not to chuffed with China or India keep burning cheaper dirty coal just to feck up our ecconomy. These so called developing countries don't give a monkeys about the poor so why should we aid their growth by taxing ourselves silly while they pollute?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:48 pm

In my dating career I've only been allowed to pay on the first date twice. Most of them absolutely insisted on going Dutch on food or doing alternate rounds after I'd got the first one in, just no way they'd let me pay the lot. Of the two who let me pay it went nowhere fairly quickly, maybe they were just hungry.

Interestingly when I met my girlfriend now out on the town I offered to buy her a drink, but she refused and then a few minutes later was buying a round herself! Apparently in a complete 180 to ye olden days she was brought up not to accept drinks from men... no wonder I was impressed.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:31 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

But I'm old.

Hey, don't you start moaning about women, cos believe me i could moan a lot about men and their rubbish reasons and logic atm. Don't get me started.

And yeah, he should have offered to pay at least - especially if he asked HER out then he should have paid. If she asked him, fair enough though. All for equality here even if it does mean us women having to pay. Nice to be made to feel special by being paid for occasionally though, but am sure that cuts both ways.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm

I always tend to pay. Absolutely 100% because of chivalry and all that and no other reason at all. No sir.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Prufrock wrote:I always tend to pay. Absolutely 100% because of chivalry and all that and no other reason at all. No sir.
You will undoubtedly find, as life goes on, that fifty-fifty in everything is the one and only way that works. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:23 am

Bloody norah! Surely if you invite someone to lunch or a quiet coffee/drink then it's your obligation to pay for both or all of you? Do you expect to pay if your boss asks you to lunch to talk over a business matter? Why should it be different if a man invites a woman to lunch in order to get to know her better? When I was wooing my wife I would have been horrified if she offered to pay for a meal and the price of a theatre ticket. I am quite sure that many a woman has plotted to capture the attention of a man in whom she has an interest but once snared (even though he might suspect the ploy) it will be he who makes the first overt move to advance the relationship. Ergo he pays. I am quite sure that GG and other females understand this better than I.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 am

I'm a firm believer that if you pay, you're more likely to get something out of it. I don't mean a second date or owt. I'm talking hand jobs.

It's a bit like prostitution really. They should be made to pay the VAT on the money you've spent on them. Otherwise, make dating in its current format illegal.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"