Wimbledon thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wimbledon thread

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 am

Without being too political like but there was a jock bitch on 5 live this morning saying how "you Brits" should enjoy it while it lasts because after independence he'll be a Scottish winner.

So presumably now post independence the history books are getting rewritten too? Silly tart.
Businesswoman of the year.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:04 am

CrazyHorse wrote:Without being too political like but there was a jock bitch on 5 live this morning saying how "you Brits" should enjoy it while it lasts because after independence he'll be a Scottish winner.

So presumably now post independence the history books are getting rewritten too? Silly tart.
8) actually - so many people have said that with this win Murray has "rewritten history" that it is starting to irritate me (I know - it doesn't take much!)..

he hasn't rewritten history!!! history is the same as it was - the same stuff happened!!! arghhhhhh!!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:10 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Anyhow, I wonder how many people are going to swear today having seen the Fred Perry/Murray clothing line "joke" on Facebook on the interweb in general for the hundreth time?
Eh?
Phew ... I thought it was just me.
New to me too, though I was chatting yesterday with a chap who was in London when Fred Perry won.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:19 pm

I was bored of those shit jokes by yesterday afternoon
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:36 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Anyhow, I wonder how many people are going to swear today having seen the Fred Perry/Murray clothing line "joke" on Facebook on the interweb in general for the hundreth time?
Eh?
New to me too, though I was chatting yesterday with a chap who was in London when Fred Perry won.
After a comprehensive search of the web, I fpound the following:
"If Andy Murray was the first Brit to win a major since Fred Perry, does that mean Chavs will be walking about in Andy Murray clothes in 76 years time? "
Not a side splitter IMHO.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Certainly wouldn't want to put that in the joke thread.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:52 pm

The Murray "joke" was apparently his reply when asked what he thought Fred Perry might say to him if he met him today. Murray replied "Why are you not wearing my clothes?".
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Eh?
After a comprehensive search of the web, I fpound the following:
"If Andy Murray was the first Brit to win a major since Fred Perry, does that mean Chavs will be walking about in Andy Murray clothes in 76 years time? "
Not a side splitter IMHO.
Imagine that joke repeated hundreds of times before the final then thousands of times after.....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 pm

This Murray documentary has me choking back the tears. Goddamn it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:29 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Without being too political like but there was a jock bitch on 5 live this morning saying how "you Brits" should enjoy it while it lasts because after independence he'll be a Scottish winner.

Just roll a few tanks into Dunblane. As far as I'm aware, the Scottish Army don't have any yet - easy sorted.

They can keep their Gold medal at Curling.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 pm

If that's how it works we should just invade Switzerland then. We'd have shit loads.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:01 am

I actually think fair play to the bloke.
Strange all the Scots now decide it's a Scottish victory, after all they have accused the English of stealing things in the past. Maybe we should say it's a victory for Europe, keep everybody happy :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:24 am

Not much bothered really what folk claim Murray's win is. Credit to him for his skill.
If they insist it's a Scottish victory, maybe they should hold a Wimbledoon Championship up there. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:57 am

But its tennis. Surely, not being a team game, its just Andy Murray's victory You know, seeing as he was coached by a Czech, spent serious amounts of time as a youngster in Spain, and lives in America?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:57 am

Lord Kangana wrote:But its tennis. Surely, not being a team game, its just Andy Murray's victory You know, seeing as he was coached by a Czech, spent serious amounts of time as a youngster in Spain, and lives in America?
How dare you talk sense on this board. That's just not cricket.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 am

No, it's tennis.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:10 am

I'm with you on that, LK. It happens here all the time. The media as a whole are an odd bunch who have the ability to whip up some sort of frenzy when an Australian does well in a sporting endeavour. Important achievements in matters that matter - medicine, science in its various branches, engineering feats and so on - get little coverage. When it comes to a sportsman or sportswoman who happens to be Australian by birth or naturalisation wins a competition in which they are not competing for their country then that achievement is instantly converted to a national success!

To be honest I find it rather sad.

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 am

Lord Kangana wrote:But its tennis. Surely, not being a team game, its just Andy Murray's victory You know, seeing as he was coached by a Czech, spent serious amounts of time as a youngster in Spain, and lives in America?
To be fair to Murray (my mother's tartan btw) he has acknowledged publically his appreciation and gratitude to his English support team/family members etc and that this histeria over his dislike of the english is made up.
The Voice Of Reason

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:13 am

He lives in Surrey.......

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 am

ahem *cough*

Called it. (Well, sort of.)

Was chuffed to see him win Wimbledon outplaying Djokovic but strangely was more proud seeing him win the US Open last year. Getting over the Grand Slam hump was the important bit and paved the way.

Here's to a few more.