The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:51 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Have you had tuition, Tango?
No, never Mummy. I could always draw at school and art was a favourite subject. Haven't painted anything for years. I have been looking at the painting lessons available on youtube lately which are a good guide.
You've got a natural feel for it mate - keep going. It would be interesting to see what you could do if you graduated to oil-based paints.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:09 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Have you had tuition, Tango?
No, never Mummy. I could always draw at school and art was a favourite subject. Haven't painted anything for years. I have been looking at the painting lessons available on youtube lately which are a good guide.
You've got a natural feel for it mate - keep going. It would be interesting to see what you could do if you graduated to oil-based paints.
Now there's a thing Mummy. I had an oil-painting set bought for me as a kid but just didn't take to it. Always preferred a box of water colours and have no inclination for oils. I'm not thinking of making a career of it at my age anyway. It's just a hobby I've re-discovered :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:11 am

Added a figure or two to my pic for interest sake. Finished now.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:37 am

very nice tango! :-)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:38 am

For those interested in thinking about art... the fabulous Grayson Perry is doing the BBC Reith Lectures this year - starts tomorrow - is bound to be interesting and entertaining!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d9

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:41 am

That's brilliant Tango! You're very talented. I can't even draw stick people well.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:44 am

Good stuff, Tango. Impressed!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Added a figure or two to my pic for interest sake. Finished now.
In my humble opinion, I think you should refrain for adding things 'for interest's sake', unless as a 'narrative device', if you'll forgive a bit of art speak.... both times you have used that phrase in this thread you have diminished the picture with the associated modification, to my eyes.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 am

thebish wrote:For those interested in thinking about art... the fabulous Grayson Perry is doing the BBC Reith Lectures this year - starts tomorrow - is bound to be interesting and entertaining!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d9
Thanks for the heads up.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:33 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Added a figure or two to my pic for interest sake. Finished now.
In my humble opinion, I think you should refrain for adding things 'for interest's sake', unless as a 'narrative device', if you'll forgive a bit of art speak.... both times you have used that phrase in this thread you have diminished the picture with the associated modification, to my eyes.
Not sure I understand that Mummy? You don't think putting things in a painting as focal points/ points of interest should be done? The comments were only for here, since no one is likeley to see the paintings except casually, ie family etc. I do admit you have to resist the temptation to add too much, but the figures were just to stop it being too bland.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:41 pm

It's short of a Vulcan Bomber is that painting, Tango. Sort it out. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:It's short of a Vulcan Bomber is that painting, Tango. Sort it out. :D
I'd have thought you'd be the last to want all that tranquility spoiled by Vulcan bombers Bruce. :wink:

Never been there but it reminds me greatly of a place I have, Stonehaven near Aberdeen. A lovely spot.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:It's short of a Vulcan Bomber is that painting, Tango. Sort it out. :D
I'd have thought you'd be the last to want all that tranquility spoiled by Vulcan bombers Bruce. :wink:

Never been there but it reminds me greatly of a place I have, Stonehaven near Aberdeen. A lovely spot.
I can see why you'd make that connection, Tango, but Stonehaven is something of a sprawling metropolis by comparison.

Sadly, whenever I think of Stonehaven I end up thinking about all the speed cameras along the A90. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

I can see why you'd make that connection, Tango, but Stonehaven is something of a sprawling metropolis by comparison.

Sadly, whenever I think of Stonehaven I end up thinking about all the speed cameras along the A90. :(
Aye, it must be twenty years plus since I was up there. I went to the gas and oil exhibition in Aberdeen for a week and rented a cottage nearby. Took the wife and lad and we went out to Stonehaven a couple of times. Probably grown some since then.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Not sure I understand that Mummy? You don't think putting things in a painting as focal points/ points of interest should be done? The comments were only for here, since no one is likeley to see the paintings except casually, ie family etc. I do admit you have to resist the temptation to add too much, but the figures were just to stop it being too bland.
If extra figures or fog lights add something to the story of the picture than I would say they are good additions, but sometimes simplicity makes a composition more satisfying to look at for reasons that are hard to articulate. Sometimes 'less is more', as they say. I actually didn't find the lone pub bland at all.

I'm all in favour of a genuine focal point, but perhaps not decoration added as an afterthought.

Just a view, anyway - you might find that others disagree or, more importantly, that you just enjoy painting the details regardless.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Eli finished, now what to do :)

DSC_5689 by Talie64, on Flickr
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:15 pm

Still can't like the subject, but you did a grand job with the painting. You've got the skill, go for whatever you feel like as a subject.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Raven wrote:Eli finished, now what to do :)

DSC_5689 by Talie64, on Flickr
Is that the girl from Let The Right One In?

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Yup, was going to do the boy next or the girl from the US version but can't find the right pic
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Raven wrote:Yup, was going to do the boy next or the girl from the US version but can't find the right pic
Try Google Images. Bound to be there.