Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Last weekend, after being out for a decent nosh and other refreshments, I woke on the Sunday and couldn't find my 'phone. After searching high and low, calling the restaurant, cab company etc., I declared it lost on Monday and got a new one sent out from work. Yesterday, before setting out to the match, as I was on my way through the door, my missus (who'd been involved in the "Big Search") announced she'd just found it, apparently safely tucked away down the back of a cushion, where someone had put it to prevent me putting my music on, when we got back, last week...wonder who that might have been then! :-)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:02 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Dujon wrote:It sounds, Spotty, as though it's time for your organisation to start saving its pennies in order to install a back-up generator. Mind you (and depending on your power requirements) it might cost a few bob. Then there's the batteries necessary to keep things going whilst the genny gets up to speed. I have worked in two IT departments, for the same organisation, where I reckon the diesel powered generators would have run an average sized naval destroyer. One of them had two, the other four.

Good luck, sunshine. :smile:
It has been looked into. Our problem on this site is lack of room to install them. We do have a back up, but its relatively small and can't guarantee to maintain the correct temperature in the server room, and the automated fire system goes into action once the temperature rises above fifteen degrees centigrade, and resetting the system once that's gone off is the biggest pain in the backside conceivable.
Can you not alter the Auto Fire System temperature on specific occasions ... not switch them off, that'd be crazy ... but when you know of freak weather coming, for example, raise the level over the 15F ?
The simple answer to that is No. The system is designed to be fail safe - absolutely fail safe, because lives depend on it. If somebody is in the server room it will not lock - this is because it relies on killing fires by flooding the room with carbon dioxide and anybody in the room at that juncture would die: the set up ensures that it only works when the doors are locked and nobody is inside. It is therefore a completely automated process, and a decision was taken right at the outset that the system should be foolproof, so none of the elements are 'adjustable'. The system builders can override any particular aspect but the temperature is measured by three independent ways that rely on different methods - in order to reset this then all three methods would need resetting at source within the measuring systems (one of which is buried in the walls of the server fortress). The server room, by the way, has very impressive specs: in the event of a fire (external to the server room) the servers are guaranteed to survive in a functional state even if temperatures reach 1000 degrees centigrade for up to two hours and the integrity of the room is guaranteed even if the building is destroyed completely by the fire and the room plummets the ~thirty feet to earth (it's on the second floor).
So I'd probably start looking in the direction of airflow within the server room to see if the load that's on each server could be dispersed by following a hot aisle, cool aisle layout. This could require additional venting, and I'm not sure of any outflow vents you have. Some good guidance on the ASHRAE site on this. You could also look (if you're really cramped for room) at installing cooling racks - along the lines of

http://www.coolingracks.co.uk/?gclid=CI ... 7Aodmy8AzQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just seen this. I may well be giving them a call... cheers Worthy.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Does Bobo have anything to tell us here? Getting banned from Norfolk would be a step up in class from Tesco Express in Norwich.?.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... wn-norfolk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:07 am

Interesting, Spotty and Worthy.

I suppose it depends on what sort of server room(s) you are controlling. 'Our' critical areas also had the CO2 fire suppression system installed. In those cases though the doors didn't lock automatically. There was a series of strobe lights with parallel sirens to alert the occupants. As best I recall these were set at a slightly lower threshold than the carbon dioxide distribution triggers. It was drilled into the brains of all the staff in the centre - whether they were likely to be in such an area or not - to not panic but stop immediately whatever they might be doing and get the flying fox out of there.

Another point that caught my attention (in Worthy's link) was the idea of not using air conditioning. One of advantage of the a/c is that it can be set to produce a positive air pressure at the same time as heating/cooling a given space/BTU area. This, I suppose, could be replicated by a simple(?) forced fan feed. I'm going back a few years with these comments. I'd be interested in any advice on current set ups.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Just been stalked by Sue Nicholls - Audreh off Corrie. I saw her on Deansgate in Manc and an hour later she was stood next to me at the checkout in M&S. If I see her again I think I get to keep her.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Does Bobo have anything to tell us here? Getting banned from Norfolk would be a step up in class from Tesco Express in Norwich.?.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... wn-norfolk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cannot be held responsible for the actions of my followers.

(& it wasn't a Tesco Express, I'll have you know)
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Don't feel alone Bobo. I got banned from a Jane Austen site. It's the truth.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 pm

clapton is god wrote:Just been stalked by Sue Nicholls - Audreh off Corrie. I saw her on Deansgate in Manc and an hour later she was stood next to me at the checkout in M&S. If I see her again I think I get to keep her.
She was also Miss Popov in Rentaghost, probably sneezed her way next to you

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Don't feel alone Bobo. I got banned from a Jane Austen site. It's the truth.
Spill, Tango.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:15 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Don't feel alone Bobo. I got banned from a Jane Austen site. It's the truth.
Spill, Tango.
English lit site run by American women Bobo. Never swore, got in any arguments or even fell out with anyone (I could have done that easily mind). I just objected that any thread where you expressed disagreement, however mild, with the mods or clique got terminated. There was no objecting. I thanked one of the mods for her concern about my manners and told her I didn't need lessons from her, I stated enough and was enough and left quietly. A day later I thought it silly to be forced out by a bunch of American know-alls and tried to access the site only to find I'd been banned. I er, haven't been back since.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:02 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Spill, Tango.
English lit site run by American women Bobo. Never swore, got in any arguments or even fell out with anyone (I could have done that easily mind). I just objected that any thread where you expressed disagreement, however mild, with the mods or clique got terminated. There was no objecting. I thanked one of the mods for her concern about my manners and told her I didn't need lessons from her, I stated enough and was enough and left quietly. A day later I thought it silly to be forced out by a bunch of American know-alls and tried to access the site only to find I'd been banned. I er, haven't been back since.

c'mon Tango - we all know you're an argumentative old git!!! :D

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:47 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Spill, Tango.
Sounds suss to me. You weren't asking for inappropriate photos by any chance?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:26 am

thebish wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Spill, Tango.

c'mon Tango - we all know you're an argumentative old git!!! :D
Maybe so, but I wasn't in this case. I'll explain the direction of my views: Jane Austen died at forty two. She was upper-middle class, the daughter of a clergyman, had never been married or in love and, with social conventions as they were back then, was hardly experienced in the intricasies of male female relations from a male point of view, or experienced in much outside her own tea, gossip and attending church and social balls world. That is a fact. You have but to read her own life story to know it.

She was a brilliant storyteller, had a great imagination and her views were witty and poked fun at most aspects of her life and times. Her books were generally lighthearted and a historical diary of her era, but from a female point of view. She was indisputably a feminist. My sin ( expressed as a mere opinion) was to take a stance that she made too great a change in her male lead from an absolute pompous asshole to a man of quality in a mere nine months. It would never happen in the way her female heroine almost miraculously changed him for love. He had to have some decent qualities to start with.

That was it......uproar. The Janeites rose up and a solid wall of knitting needles and spiked parasols barred my path. Off with his head. :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:31 am

It seems to me that they didn't like your quite openly sexist views! ;-)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:36 am

boltonboris wrote:It seems to me that they didn't like your quite openly sexist views! ;-)
Aye, that's probably it. :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:39 am

Do you think she tucked-in to the bushy plate, Tango?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Do you think she tucked-in to the bushy plate, Tango?
Not a clue. Given convention in 1816 I'd say not.....but who knows..? :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Ooooh, now then .... don't you go fooling yourself Tangs.

Pop to Llangollen and go to Plas Newydd where 'the Ladies of Llangollen lived, very openly, 1780-1825 or so.

I don't know all the details off my head, so Googled it ... take a peep ;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladies_of_Llangollen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:56 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Nah. Read up on Anne Lister (portrayed brilliantly by Maxine Peake in a fairly recent TV play about her).
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Nah. Read up on Anne Lister (portrayed brilliantly by Maxine Peake in a fairly recent TV play about her).
Oh aye, but Anne Lister was a closet member (maybe even shop steward) of the box-bumpers union and decidedly against the feminist role Jane Austen played. What went on in public against behind closed doors is anybody's guess. Tipping the velvet wasn't invented by the Edwardians. :wink: