The Thetans have landed

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

The Thetans have landed

Post by William the White » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Justice at last for Scientology... Now the Supreme Court decides it's a religion...

It looks mad to me, but then... they all do...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Thetans have landed

Post by Hoboh » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:52 pm

William the White wrote:Justice at last for Scientology... Now the Supreme Court decides it's a religion...

Oh Christ does that mean Martian terrorists then!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:11 pm

Hoboh wrote:
William the White wrote:Justice at last for Scientology... Now the Supreme Court decides it's a religion...

As I understand it they are 'parked' in Venus until there is an appropriate human embryo to accept them...

This is probably a crude caricature of a subtle and highly developed religion which is in with every chance of saving the world (and making a few dollars for those in the know... or, since it's scientology, in the 'Clear'...)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:23 am

William the White wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

As I understand it they are 'parked' in Venus until there is an appropriate human embryo to accept them...

This is probably a crude caricature of a subtle and highly developed religion which is in with every chance of saving the world (and making a few dollars for those in the know... or, since it's scientology, in the 'Clear'...)
William your crude caricaturing of Scientology is not only justified but to be encouraged. Have you SEEN Battlefield Earth?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:15 am

Ah, dear old L.Ron. I have read a couple of his rather long novels, including Battlefield Earth. To give him his due he could spin a decent, if long winded, yarn. Perhaps that's how he managed to get high profile high-earning people to join what I would call his cult. He's been gone for a while but his mediaevally organised mob seem to sail merrily on. It's a puzzle to me as to how it survives. I haven't seen the High Court decision but it sure as heck surprises (and to a point disturbs) me. Who will be next on the list of appellants? The Davidians or perhaps Jimmy Jones' set of odd-bods? Perhaps that mob of weirdos who killed themselves in order to hitch a ride on a spaceship trailing a comet?

Pah!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:48 am

Dujon wrote:Ah, dear old L.Ron. I have read a couple of his rather long novels, including Battlefield Earth. To give him his due he could spin a decent, if long winded, yarn. Perhaps that's how he managed to get high profile high-earning people to join what I would call his cult. He's been gone for a while but his mediaevally organised mob seem to sail merrily on. It's a puzzle to me as to how it survives. I haven't seen the High Court decision but it sure as heck surprises (and to a point disturbs) me. Who will be next on the list of appellants? The Davidians or perhaps Jimmy Jones' set of odd-bods? Perhaps that mob of weirdos who killed themselves in order to hitch a ride on a spaceship trailing a comet?

Pah!
The trouble is that though their beliefs seem to be lunacy, they are no less probable than fiery chariots, commandments on stone, John Smith's Golden tablets, reincarnation, etc. The problem is where does the court draw the line between a religion and a crackpot cult?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 am

I thought the whole point of scientology was that they believe there's no higher being, or god, or deity.. Whatever you wish to call it. I think they believe they originated as microorganisms on a comet that smashed into earth and then developed from there..

So can it be classed as a religion, or just a movement?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 am

"SCIENTOLOGY WOOOOOOO"

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 am

boltonboris wrote:I thought the whole point of scientology was that they believe there's no higher being, or god, or deity.. Whatever you wish to call it. I think they believe they originated as microorganisms on a comet that smashed into earth and then developed from there..

I think the judgement said a religion didn't necesarily have to have a supreme being.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 am

But the word religion basically is a description of a group of people who believe in a higher power.. Maybe they need to reclassify the rule.

Maybe i'm wrong.. Which is likely

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 am

"In their unanimous decision, the Supreme Court justices said that the 1970 ruling's definition of religious worship as involving "reverence or veneration of God or of a supreme being" was out of date."

Making it up as they go along by t'look of it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:09 am

Haha.. Seems so.

That'll be the Oxford Dictionary being updated today then

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:34 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:"In their unanimous decision, the Supreme Court justices said that the 1970 ruling's definition of religious worship as involving "reverence or veneration of God or of a supreme being" was out of date."

A new committee of Supreme Court of God experts emerges every fifty years. Their decisions far outweigh anything the Bible, Quran or Torah have to say. It's gospel... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:44 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I thought the whole point of scientology was that they believe there's no higher being, or god, or deity.. Whatever you wish to call it. I think they believe they originated as microorganisms on a comet that smashed into earth and then developed from there..

I think the judgement said a religion didn't necesarily have to have a supreme being.
Sort of doesn't meet the basics then, I'd have thought.

But who asked my opinion.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:57 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:"In their unanimous decision, the Supreme Court justices said that the 1970 ruling's definition of religious worship as involving "reverence or veneration of God or of a supreme being" was out of date."

Stick with this one SJM...We might get away with claiming charitable status and tax perks for worshipping beer at this rate.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Jedis will be next.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

A new committee of Supreme Court of God experts emerges every fifty years. Their decisions far outweigh anything the Bible, Quran or Torah have to say. It's gospel... :wink:

seems fair enough to me... i don't know why anyone would appeal to the Bible, Torah or the Qu'ran for a definition of "religion" - unless i have missed summat, none of them attempt such a definition...

when it comes to how a nation or a state handles the authorisation of places where a marriage can be solemnized or who has to pay business rates ion premises - it seems eminently sensible for that nation - through the appropriate courts - to debate and decide those issues...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:11 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Jedis will be next.
in rapid decline in the UK, I believe.... their numbers dropped by over 50% in just 10 years up to the 2011 census...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:11 pm

And so the pursuit continues :hang:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:31 pm

Assuming your comment to be valid, boris, I'd say no to both. I believe that electricity powers my television just as I do the fact that petrol is the best fuel for my car. You know as well as I that science, within its capabilities, deals in facts. There are many scientists who are deeply religious but they don't worship science. Perhaps there is someone somewhere who worships the various forms of geometry, but I doubt it.