The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:35 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Athers wrote:Excellent use of the politician's 'thumb-press' !
I don't think it's a recurring motif throughout the 20-minute programme. :mrgreen:

Perhaps there will be a link to the full version once it's gone out, Monty.
Let us know when a fuller version is available. Kinty thought you were marvelous.
It's been out on the channel a couple of times, so they've put it on YouTube now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI10glRZ ... 82aj8LccEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's so much wrong with it, but it was a bit of a rough pilot for the concept without a script or any preparation, so I'm starting to come to terms with how wooden and unfluent I look and sound.

However... it's a platform to build on and I can't wait to do more.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:10 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Athers wrote:Excellent use of the politician's 'thumb-press' !
I don't think it's a recurring motif throughout the 20-minute programme. :mrgreen:

Perhaps there will be a link to the full version once it's gone out, Monty.
Let us know when a fuller version is available. Kinty thought you were marvelous.
It's been out on the channel a couple of times, so they've put it on YouTube now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI10glRZ ... 82aj8LccEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's so much wrong with it, but it was a bit of a rough pilot for the concept without a script or any preparation, so I'm starting to come to terms with how wooden and unfluent I look and sound.

However... it's a platform to build on and I can't wait to do more.
Thanks, Jon. I thought you were quite fluent and managed lengthy and complex sentences without the 'ers' and 'ums' one might expect from a first timer. Hearing oneself is always difficult since it is different from the way we hear ourselves - it always seems strange until you get used to it. As for the look, it is hard to look relaxed especially when standing and walking around. I wasn't sure how you managed to have two clumps of hair curling up like devil's horns but both on the same side. :wink: I thought it was very good (though not much Canadian content!).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:49 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Thanks, Jon. I thought you were quite fluent and managed lengthy and complex sentences without the 'ers' and 'ums' one might expect from a first timer. Hearing oneself is always difficult since it is different from the way we hear ourselves - it always seems strange until you get used to it. As for the look, it is hard to look relaxed especially when standing and walking around. I wasn't sure how you managed to have two clumps of hair curling up like devil's horns but both on the same side. :wink: I thought it was very good (though not much Canadian content!).
Ha, thanks for the encouraging words.

The ridiculous hair came from not having time to get a haircut and from going through the rain to get there - straight from work in the morning, as it (the Barbican) is just around is just around the corner from my office. Coming straight from a meeting was just another added ingredient in the shambles!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:21 pm

Well done Jon. Interesting, unforced, unobtrusive and professional. Good job and hope you can go on from it and do more.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Good for a first drop Mummy. Interesting topic too. You might want to brief the person you're interviewing on what you're going to ask 'em though. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Take your jacket off, drop your shoulders and address the camera more frequently. Otherwise fine. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Take your jacket off, drop your shoulders and address the camera more frequently. Otherwise fine. ;)
All obvious to me with hindsight! But thanks.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Take your jacket off, drop your shoulders and address the camera more frequently. Otherwise fine. ;)
Not being critical, Jon, I hope you know that. Maybe a little more hand expression too. ;)

Can ask a pal to critique it for you if you like - Former C 4 Culture editor & presenter that worked on the South Bank show for years too.
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Not being critical, Jon, I hope you know that. Maybe a little more hand expression too. ;)

Can ask a pal to critique it for you if you like - Former C 4 Culture editor & presenter that worked on the South Bank show for years too.
Of course - but I am my own harshest critic anyway!

Oddly enough, I think my exec producer also has those two things on his CV too. It's manly a question of resources and planning. I think they are pleased with what we achieved under very trying conditions and we have proved the concept enough to do it properly next time.

LaSuRo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LaSuRo » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:18 am

thebish wrote:that art career is taking off! go boy! :-)
I'm mortified with how frightened I look, but it was made under very stressed conditions! Can't wait to do more and improve.
Just watched it and thought it was great. (Big Pop Art fan myself - regulary finding myself purchasing bits and pieces through this site here)

But regarding the video, I thought you were at your best chatting to the curators for example. Warm, friendly ... you seemed most comfortable then, and that leads the viewer to feel comfortable.
Last edited by LaSuRo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:37 am

LaSuRo wrote:
I'm mortified with how frightened I look, but it was made under very stressed conditions! Can't wait to do more and improve.
Just watched it and thought it was great. (Big Pop Art fan myself) I thought you were at your best chatting to the curators for example. Warm, friendly ... you seemed most comfortable then, and that leads the viewer to feel comfortable.
Many thanks - you're absolutely right that talking to people is what I'm currently most comfortable with. Talking to a face that reacts and responds to what you are saying is a normal thing, but addressing words to a tiny glass circle is quite unsettling!

Best advice I've had is to try and flirt with the camera next time.. an odd concept but I know what they mean...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am

LaSuRo wrote:
Just watched it and thought it was great. (Big Pop Art fan myself) I thought you were at your best chatting to the curators for example. Warm, friendly ... you seemed most comfortable then, and that leads the viewer to feel comfortable.
Many thanks - you're absolutely right that talking to people is what I'm currently most comfortable with. Talking to a face that reacts and responds to what you are saying is a normal thing, but addressing words to a tiny glass circle is quite unsettling!

Best advice I've had is to try and flirt with the camera next time.. an odd concept but I know what they mean...
why not get the camera man to tape a little picture of Brian Sewell just above the lens?

LaSuRo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LaSuRo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:58 am

thebish wrote:
LaSuRo wrote:

why not get the camera man to tape a little picture of Brian Sewell just above the lens?
:D sure to do the trick!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:03 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Vuillard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've never watched this programme before, but this is a good account of how paintings are authenticated, even if the whole thing is sometimes contrived for the cameras, which grates a bit (as does Fiona Bruce's innocently ignorant enthusiasm!).

However, for a programme like this to get 4.8m viewers as it apparently did, suggests they are doing something right.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Just got time to watch it with a brew Jon - enjoyed it, well done. The lady was caught a bit on the spot with some of the questions so my result was to think perhaps you should have been exhibition director!

Not sure about the bag, I have to say...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Thought I'd take in a little culture on a visit to town today. Everything seems so reduced these days. Ring of schoolkids in the Egyptoplogy section so I gave it a miss. Some sort of Romany/anarchy thing going on in a side gallery which didn't get much attention either I'm afraid and another side gallery was getting a paint job. The paintings section was little changed from my last visit with the Death of Senecca and Tom Moran's western pair still the prominent exhibits. Nev's still in there but not much of "stop in the tracks" stuff at all. Might just be me, but there seemed something of a jaded air about the place. I used to spend ages in the painting section at one time and loved it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Thought I'd take in a little culture on a visit to town today. Everything seems so reduced these days. Ring of schoolkids in the Egyptoplogy section so I gave it a miss. Some sort of Romany/anarchy thing going on in a side gallery which didn't get much attention either I'm afraid and another side gallery was getting a paint job. The paintings section was little changed from my last visit with the Death of Senecca and Tom Moran's western pair still the prominent exhibits. Nev's still in there but not much of "stop in the tracks" stuff at all. Might just be me, but there seemed something of a jaded air about the place. I used to spend ages in the painting section at one time and loved it.
At least they'd made an effort at The Griffin for you!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 pm

I saw the Paul Klee exhibition at Tate Modern today.

I liked something in each of the 17 rooms, and liked much more in total than I didn't. And in this kind of 17 room pretty exhausting/exhaustive exhibition that is a result... Some of the work was outstanding... I could list a dozen (and might). but I'm pretty knackered atm - for art loving wanderers in that London - it finishes - I think - March 9th... but check!

It was very full today. Will get fuller, i suspect as closing date approaches.

Oh - for lunch had tapas at the wonderful Moro with wonderful daughter and fella, who also came along to the exhibition and enjoyed... :D

And train delays were not over-long; all trains are delayed 20-25 by need to travel slowly between approx Milton Keynes and Watford. It looks even wetter than our garden down there...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:09 pm

William the White wrote:I saw the Paul Klee exhibition at Tate Modern today.

I liked something in each of the 17 rooms, and liked much more in total than I didn't. And in this kind of 17 room pretty exhausting/exhaustive exhibition that is a result... Some of the work was outstanding... I could list a dozen (and might). but I'm pretty knackered atm - for art loving wanderers in that London - it finishes - I think - March 9th... but check!
I went this morning without having read your post and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would.

I hardly liked any of his early stuff... though they are interesting as almost heroically small doodles given the scale of events unfolding around him.

I don't buy that his trip to Tunisa in 1914 was his big breakthrough. For me that came when he stopped doing bad cubism and found a style of his own - a turning point that is marked by 'Redgreen and Violet-Yellow Rhythms' in 1920. Teaching at the Bauhaus and having a daily audience for his ideas seem to have brought the best out of him for that decade. His 'gradation' still lifes on the black background of Dutch or Spanish still life painting were a beautiful surprise. His 'Suspended Fruit' (which doesn't look good in reproduction, so I won't post it) made me think he must have known of Cotan's amazing baroque paintings.

If the exhibition were 1920-1934 I think I would agree that I liked more than I didn't, but, like the early work, the late stuff did nothing for me either. What a joy, by the way, to have a chronologically hung exhibition so you can follow the development of the work for yourself. They should all be like that unless there are really compelling reasons to do something else.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I also saw the Richard Hamilton exhibition as the second part of my double-header at Tate Modern this morning.

Another excellent show which I think sets him up as one of the towering figures of British art.

I sometimes voice my opinion that Turner is the only major British-born figure in art history... perhaps with Hogarth thrown in too, but I now think Hamilton deserves to be considered in that company.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.