2014 Commonwealth Games...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 2014 Commonwealth Games...

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Medal table looking good. Might be time for the ex-pats to remind themselves they're Brits. Or better still English if that applies. :-)
Well, Australia with a smaller populations gave you a good run. Canada of course was just trying to stay ahead of Scotland. To be fair we prefer our sports when water is a solid not bucketing down like in Glasgow. :D

In truth, I suspect Dujon, like myself, is happy when England does well.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:07 pm

Aussies win most of the water sports because they have the weather and the beaches to practise swimming and stuff when they're not sun-bathing and drinking Fosters lager. We have to practise in the local baths. :wink:

We Brits have a serious problem in turning screws on people when leading. All too often we have it won and then do a prodigal son bit and welcome the opposition in. Happened too often to be coincidental. Must get tougher, it's 2014 and charity no longer exists in sport.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:What a fantastic bronze medal in the womens' 5000 metres from forty year old Jo Pavey. Brilliant run against Kenyans half her age.
Amazing performance! One of our chaps did something similar in the 10,000 metres.
Incredible run from your chap, that was Monty. My non GB highlight of these games
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Pretty impressive road cycle race win from the Welsh guy. Sprinted clear near the end, left the opposition standing, had a puncture, got his wheel changed and still had time to race on and win by a mile after riding 120 miles, or so, in a monsoon downpour. Brit guy lost the silver by a wheel spoke on the line.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:What a fantastic bronze medal in the womens' 5000 metres from forty year old Jo Pavey. Brilliant run against Kenyans half her age.
Amazing performance! One of our chaps did something similar in the 10,000 metres.
Incredible run from your chap, that was Monty. My non GB highlight of these games
One thing I liked you don't find in the Olympics was in the Women's 5000 metres. After the excitement of the finish, eventually I noted the entrant from the Solomon Islands, who had been lapped twice, was still plugging along. She was so far behind she almost won the next race! Yet she finished it and I was delighted to note against her name and time that she had set a new national record.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Pretty impressive road cycle race win from the Welsh guy. Sprinted clear near the end, left the opposition standing, had a puncture, got his wheel changed and still had time to race on and win by a mile after riding 120 miles, or so, in a monsoon downpour. Brit guy lost the silver by a wheel spoke on the line.
Brit? We are all Brits in the British Commonwealth Games. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Pretty impressive road cycle race win from the Welsh guy. Sprinted clear near the end, left the opposition standing, had a puncture, got his wheel changed and still had time to race on and win by a mile after riding 120 miles, or so, in a monsoon downpour. Brit guy lost the silver by a wheel spoke on the line.
Brit? We are all Brits in the British Commonwealth Games. :wink:
Very well, the "English" guy, though I doubt anybody but us call ourselves Brits. Andy Murray is a Scot when he wins and a Brit when losing. Doubt many Aussies think they're Brits... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:46 am

Has it finished now? Can I put 5 Live back on?
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Has it finished now? Can I put 5 Live back on?
that's what i hoped this morning - but they are now doing montages of "best bits of Nicky Campbell" that last several hours of shouty commentary and indecipherable interviews with overexcited scots people with a background of loud jangly music... I'd wait until tomorrow if I were you!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:19 am

thebish wrote:
that's what i hoped this morning - but they are now doing montages of "best bits of Nicky Campbell" that last several hours of shouty commentary and indecipherable interviews with overexcited scots people with a background of loud jangly music... I'd wait until tomorrow if I were you!
Oh dear. Really? So a day of self-indulgence for them then? Thanks for the warning.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:49 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:
Oh dear. Really? So a day of self-indulgence for them then? Thanks for the warning.
it is slightly tempered by the coverage of WW1... (which - apparently - has broken out!) to be fair - they have had some interesting material on about that...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:37 am

Ah, you spoilsports. What of any import is on channel five anyway? :wink:

I saw little of the competitions (about five minutes of the diving) but the media here has been praising to high heaven the organisation, competitors and Glaswegians (Clydesiders?) in general. England had the Olympics and now Glasgow the CGs. Don't tell me you lads are jealous because Scotland made as good a fist of its job as England did its? No, surely not; the England v Scotland antipathy ended when Bill Wally got his comeuppance didn't it? :smile:

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:31 am

I hate hazel irvine
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:08 am

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:I hate hazel irvine
I want to see her naked.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:46 am

Dujon wrote:Ah, you spoilsports. What of any import is on channel five anyway? :wink:

I saw little of the competitions (about five minutes of the diving) but the media here has been praising to high heaven the organisation, competitors and Glaswegians (Clydesiders?) in general. England had the Olympics and now Glasgow the CGs. Don't tell me you lads are jealous because Scotland made as good a fist of its job as England did its? No, surely not; the England v Scotland antipathy ended when Bill Wally got his comeuppance didn't it? :smile:
I suspect the antipathy heads more in one direction than the other. I've not come across many English folks that actually care. I think many would be happy for the Scots to have independence on a "clean break" basis, so they cough for all the things a nation needs. Central Bank etc...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:15 am

LeverEnd wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:I hate hazel irvine
I want to see her naked.

You'll have to stoop.......