Fiddily technical lighting question

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Fiddily technical lighting question

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:54 pm

A technical lighting question on the off chance anyone can help...

I am looking to curate another art exhibition in an office space that has lighting that is very poorly suited for this purpose.

All of our fittings hold two compact fluorescent lamps (we use these) with G24Q 4-Pin bases and essentially I would like to find a way to convert them to spotlights (or at least ordinary lights that can be directed) with some kind of adapter/converter device like this.

At the moment, the best I can think of is using something like this in conjunction with something like this.

Anyone got any ideas/a reason why my suggestion won't work?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Fiddily technical lighting question

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I'd say the health and safety brigade would have a field day of you start messing about with anything electrical.
You'll need permission from the building owner and a proper electrician to just even plug those adaptors in. Plus I'm not even sure those American ones comply with European standards.

You'll get away with anything that plugs into a wall socket so long as they're either pat tested or new enough to not need pat testing.
Businesswoman of the year.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:46 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I'd say the health and safety brigade would have a field day of you start messing about with anything electrical.
You'll need permission from the building owner and a proper electrician to just even plug those adaptors in. Plus I'm not even sure those American ones comply with European standards.

You'll get away with anything that plugs into a wall socket so long as they're either pat tested or new enough to not need pat testing.
And thats just for starters :laugh:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:49 pm

I could sort this out but I would be wanting £750 in my hand before I even opened my toolbox.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:55 pm

jaffka wrote:I could sort this out but I would be wanting £750 in my hand before I even opened my toolbox.
You a pole? :mrgreen:

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:58 pm

Hoboh wrote:
jaffka wrote:I could sort this out but I would be wanting £750 in my hand before I even opened my toolbox.
Conman :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Hoboh wrote:

Not at £750 he ain't.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:00 pm

I sell shit fitted kitchens as well.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 pm

jaffka wrote:I sell shit fitted kitchens as well.
Are you responsible for all those fckg posts selling kitchens then ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:08 pm

Yep and shit kits as well.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:08 pm

And puppies from Nigeria?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:12 am

I'm aware that I would need those permissions and testing and wouldn't mess about with anything like this myself, of course.

Nor would I try to use the American fittings - at this stage I'm just wondering whether it's worth trying to find a UK alternative.

£750 would be way outside of budget, but what would that get me, Jaffka? One thing I can't do is make a permanent change to the fittings.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:51 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I'm aware that I would need those permissions and testing and wouldn't mess about with anything like this myself, of course.

Nor would I try to use the American fittings - at this stage I'm just wondering whether it's worth trying to find a UK alternative.

£750 would be way outside of budget, but what would that get me, Jaffka? One thing I can't do is make a permanent change to the fittings.
Not very much I suspect

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Hoboh wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I'm aware that I would need those permissions and testing and wouldn't mess about with anything like this myself, of course.

Not very much I suspect
Aye, it would get you 1 * Happy Jaffka.

He hasn't opened his toolbox for that - you need to read the small print. ;-)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:41 pm

I suspect this thread hasn't been as helpful as you'd hoped Mummy!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Couldn't you utilise something like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/versatile-hal ... ight-a13rw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Couldn't you utilise something like this?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/versatile-hal ... ight-a13rw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have considered free-standing options like that, Tango, but really there isn't space to have those things standing about, nor could we have cables trailing about what are quite busy rooms.

To answer your question, LeverEnd, the pessimistic responses I have received here and by PM have been a useful dose of realism!