The Great Art Debate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: The Great Art Debate

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:48 pm

"Some" still life paintings I like for the exploration of the artist's techniques and skills with colours etc. Portraits, except for well known historical figures, I admire the artist's skills but have no particular interest in. Landscapes I love. Same with painting with figures, street-life etc. Pissarro did these magnificently, particularly his snowscapes. This almost monochome scene is great, and, to me, and a good example of Pissarros's talent.

Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:21 am

A one-time T-W stalwart posted on Facebook today about a trip to The Lowry, which led to my learning that Lowry painted not one but two views of Burnden Park.

This, sold at Christie's in 2012, has, happily, found its way into the Lowry Collection (I'm guessing it's on loan there, like the other, more famous picture owned by the Football Association).

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/pain ... tails.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a shame, given his links to the town, that the Bolton Art Gallery doesn't have something by Lowry in there.

In fact, on my first trip back to Bolton town centre for well over a decade the week, I was shocked to go into the Bolton Art Gallery and see just how few paintings the town has accumulated over the years. :-(
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:59 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:A one-time T-W stalwart posted on Facebook today about a trip to The Lowry, which led to my learning that Lowry painted not one but two views of Burnden Park.

This, sold at Christie's in 2012, has, happily, found its way into the Lowry Collection (I'm guessing it's on loan there, like the other, more famous picture owned by the Football Association).

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/pain ... tails.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a shame, given his links to the town, that the Bolton Art Gallery doesn't have something by Lowry in there.

In fact, on my first trip back to Bolton town centre for well over a decade the week, I was shocked to go into the Bolton Art Gallery and see just how few paintings the town has accumulated over the years. :-(
Although the famous Burnden Park painting and this one are entitled "Going to the Match", are you sure it is a second one of Burnden? I don't recognize the view and Lowry was a Stretford lad after all.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:22 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:A one-time T-W stalwart posted on Facebook today about a trip to The Lowry, which led to my learning that Lowry painted not one but two views of Burnden Park.

Although the famous Burnden Park painting and this one are entitled "Going to the Match", are you sure it is a second one of Burnden? I don't recognize the view and Lowry was a Stretford lad after all.
Whether it is or it isn't, I don't see how that has anything to do with it?!
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:12 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I have it on good authority (one Mofgimmers) that the label in the The Lowry museum identifies it as being as such, as do the 'Lot Notes' supplied by Christie's at the link above.

As for not recognizing the view, presumably that can also be said of the other picture?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:21 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:

They seem to focus more on exhibitions of this and that Mummy. I think it's more a case of how many they show rather than have, as a conversation with a security boke a while back where I asked about a particular painting brought the remark "It's probably in store with the rest".

Did you have a look round the Thomas Moran/James Naughton exhibition? Moran was a fantastic Bolton-born artist with an amazing amount of superb paintings: http://www.thomas-moran.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:34 am

By using them as weekly-changed desktop backgrounds I'm managing to have all my favourite paintings in a personal exhibition. This week's is Claude Monet's "Magpie". As well as totally putting you into a sunshine winter setting where you can almost feel the temperature and hear your footsteps crunching the snow. The pic also asks a question; was Monet being a bit mischievous using just one Magpie? How many superstitious viewers has he had peering worriedly around for the second one? Love it. :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:

They seem to focus more on exhibitions of this and that Mummy. I think it's more a case of how many they show rather than have, as a conversation with a security boke a while back where I asked a bout a particular painting brought the remark "It's probably in store with the rest".

Did you have a look round the Thomas Moran/James Naughton exhibition? Moran was a fantastic Bolton-born artist with an amazing amount of superb paintings: http://www.thomas-moran.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes I did - thought that was an interesting exhibition, well-worth seeing. Not all of Naughton's pieces hit the mark, but some did.

If there are riches in a storeroom somewhere then that is a great shame.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:06 pm

it's cos they've all been bought up by southern law firms to decorate their palacial offices... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:32 pm

If there are riches in a storeroom somewhere then that is a great shame.
I dug this out. Not sure if it's to date: http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/museum/ ... collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings ... ollections" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:The pic also asks a question; was Monet being a bit mischievous using just one Magpie? How many superstitious viewers has he had peering worriedly around for the second one? Love it. :wink:
Or did he say to himself 'feck this for a lark. It's freezing. I'll leave it at one'?

EverSoYouri
Reliable
Reliable

Post by EverSoYouri » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:The pic also asks a question; was Monet being a bit mischievous using just one Magpie? How many superstitious viewers has he had peering worriedly around for the second one? Love it. :wink:
Or did he say to himself 'feck this for a lark. It's freezing. I'll leave it at one'?

Maybe the magpie was added as an afterthought? If it was a seagull, I'd suspect my Mum. She was always doing that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:49 pm

[*]
EverSoYouri wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Maybe the magpie was added as an afterthought? If it was a seagull, I'd suspect my Mum. She was always doing that.
Don't think so as The Magpie is the painting's title. :wink:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm gonna get involved in this thread for the first time. My girlfriend is an artist. She has an exhibition opening at the John Rylands Library on Deansgate on Monday in collaboration with a chap who writes short stories. Last year she was the young ever solo artist to have an exhibition at the Manchester Art Gallery (which ran for four months).

Her website is: http://www.alisonerikaforde.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:[*]
EverSoYouri wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Don't think so as The Magpie is the painting's title. :wink:
Might have been called The Seagull before hand though. Have you considered that? No!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:I'm gonna get involved in this thread for the first time. My girlfriend is an artist. She has an exhibition opening at the John Rylands Library on Deansgate on Monday in collaboration with a chap who writes short stories. Last year she was the young ever solo artist to have an exhibition at the Manchester Art Gallery (which ran for four months).

Her website is: http://www.alisonerikaforde.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out!
Interesting and certainly bright and lively. When she says she "transforms undesirables" I hope it is not a reference to her boyfriend. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:26 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: When she says she "transforms undesirables" I hope it is not a reference to her boyfriend. :wink:
You don't play Golf with him. ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Favourite painting of the week. Moreby Hall by James McNeill Whistler.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:03 pm

^^^ why is there a ghost of a huge person sitting in a huge armchair, with it's back to the fire to the right of that Tango ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:17 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^^ why is there a ghost of a huge person sitting in a huge armchair, with it's back to the fire to the right of that Tango ?
Not sure just what the right hand side says apart from a settee of sorts and some big shadows bobo. If you look at the blue and black bit far left, it's a man reading a newspaper with the shadow of his legs thrown on the wall extreme left. Going off the shadows the light is from a central source and suggests interior light rather than sunlight. The right, I just don't know, shadows I'd say?