The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The Painting Thread... (as opposed to art debate)

Post by Always hopeful » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Is the bloke in the top hat Timothy Spall?
Hope is what keeps us going.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:45 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Is the bloke in the top hat Timothy Spall?
Aye, as Mr Turner....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Did you catch this week's painting challenge thebish/anybody? Some of the standards have gone on improving, some gone really downhill. The David chap I had as pretty talented, but his work this week was pretty poor. He seems to want to make a Sistine Chapel candidate out of everything. The headmistress type I felt a bit sorry for but somebody has to go and her last effort, the flamenco dancers, looked like a comic postcard (as stated). Claire, the young girl marches on with good work as does the Glasgow guy, Paul. Only five left now.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:47 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Decided to have a go at the B.B.C Small Paint Challenge for amateurs. Rules are the work must be original and on a postcard size 5.8 x 4.1
Having seen this I thought I might have a go too.
Trouble is that the rules say works are judged on
A) Originality
B) Creative use of materials
C) Overall impression/impact of art work

I'm not sure how original anyone can get with a postcard - I'd have thought most subjects have been covered.
There's certainly not much creative use of materials in mine - watercolour on paper ain't very creative, just standard.
So I'll have to hope I score on overall impression I guess.

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:41 am

Nice one Al. Like your use of plenty water in your work to make it flow, and it's certainly original. Bit of an odd word "original" because, as you say, few things haven't been covered somewhere. Then again, there will be lots of entries painted from photographs as in portraits etc. Tons of scope in still life or nature too. I'm not even thinking about winning anything, there's little chance of that with multi-thousands of entries. Some really talented folk out there. Be nice if we could get one displayed amongst the wallpaper at The Whitworth somewhere though. 1,000 will be displayed. Paint on.... :wink:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:08 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Did you catch this week's painting challenge thebish/anybody? Some of the standards have gone on improving, some gone really downhill. The David chap I had as pretty talented, but his work this week was pretty poor. He seems to want to make a Sistine Chapel candidate out of everything. The headmistress type I felt a bit sorry for but somebody has to go and her last effort, the flamenco dancers, looked like a comic postcard (as stated). Claire, the young girl marches on with good work as does the Glasgow guy, Paul. Only five left now.
Got into this series quite late but really enjoying it. Certainly Clare & Paul are the standouts & I agree re: David who seemed to be sneaking up on the blind side - he really let himself down this week. Had to laugh at the criticism this week - "Degas did it like this blahblah.." Degas probably wasn't on a time limit with Una Stubbs wittering down his ear!

Great effort LLS. Along with the prog you may have just convinced me to get the old crayons out :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:... Along with the prog you may have just convinced me to get the old crayons out :D
Go for it... We might get a TW entry on the Whitworth wall yet.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Great effort LLS. Along with the prog you may have just convinced me to get the old crayons out :D
Brilliant Harry. Go for it. :mrgreen:
For fun last night I took one of the challenges with them; darwing the moving gymnast. Because she was in constant motion I just had to fix one image in my head. Took about ten minutes and I was quite happy with the result. Mine was a bit smaller mind, just my sketch book size.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Watched Part 4 again today and picked up on something I hadn't noticed previously. Of the five remaining contestants, three of them, including the two best artists, are left handed. Claire, the young girl is only twenty and a student at Cambridge. Her father is an art teacher. Hope nerves don't get the better of her. With only two shows left and five contestants, who's going next week? Shame for any of them, but my money's on Amy.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Watched Part 4 again today and picked up on something I hadn't noticed previously. Of the five remaining contestants, three of them, including the two best artists, are left handed. Claire, the young girl is only twenty and a student at Cambridge. Her father is an art teacher. Hope nerves don't get the better of her. With only two shows left and five contestants, who's going next week? Shame for any of them, but my money's on Amy.
I haven't watched any of the series, but having just looked at part of "episode 3: still life" on iplayer, and seen that one of the contestants did a Memento Mori, I guess it probably looks like I've copied his idea - and my chances of getting on 'the wall' are even more limited than I thought, i.e. not a cat in hell's chance...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:11 pm

^
Don't think that's necessarily the case Spots. Paul's was nothing like yours and I'd say you have as much chance as anyone else. I think your effort is very good. Still time to get another couple in if you feel like it.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:^
Don't think that's necessarily the case Spots. Paul's was nothing like yours and I'd say you have as much chance as anyone else. I think your effort is very good. Still time to get another couple in if you feel like it.
A couple of weeks before close date... I might just get something done.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 pm

Just caught the penultimate week of The Big Painting challenge. So harsh when just one out of five has to leave and the rest go to next week's final. As expected, Claire, Paul and David all went through with the Amy Girl, and Anne had to go. Glad I didn't have to choose. The young girl, Claire, is a real talent and will probably take it with Paul second. Both are one-step up from David, the army lad and way ahead of the rest who entered. Not sure I agree with some of the comments made, but what do I know? Next week should be good.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:46 pm

Having one last dab at the Challenge. Still looking for something a bit original I stuck with the Lowry theme. Original is about half an inch bigger than this in height and width.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:09 am

Really great last episode of the Painting Challenge. Worthy winner (who I won't mention till tomorrrow in case anybody wants to watch the programme on BBC iplayer.) fully deserved. Truly enjoyable series. Sorry it's finished.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Worthy winner fully deserved.
Thanks! 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thanks! 8)
:oyea:

So Paul came out the winner! He's consistently produced good stuff and is a very talented artist. Young Claire has time on her side and she's already brilliant at twenty. The other two were very good but it was almost always going to be between Paul and Claire. Real surprise is that this event wasn't current at all and took place last year. Sorry it's over as it's been really good and interesting viewing. Hope they have another.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Thanks! 8)

So Paul came out the winner! He's consistently produced good stuff and is a very talented artist. Young Claire has time on her side and she's already brilliant at twenty. The other two were very good but it was almost always going to be between Paul and Claire. Real surprise is that this event wasn't current at all and took place last year. Sorry it's over as it's been really good and interesting viewing. Hope they have another.
Really glad you didn't "mention till tomorrrow in case anybody wants to watch the programme on BBC iplayer" then Tango !

:whack: :whack:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:47 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Thanks! 8)

Really glad you didn't "mention till tomorrrow in case anybody wants to watch the programme on BBC iplayer" then Tango !

:whack: :whack:
I posted that last night Bobo. Today is "tomorrow". Sorry if I screwed it up for you.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:41 pm

aye - i have the last two weeks to catch up with... I guess that'll take some of the tension and anticipation out of it then! :D