the Photo thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Re: the Photo thread

Post by Dujon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Ten quid is a good price for a bit of kit with which to experiment, Clappers. If you decide to continue using the ND method then consider a more expensive and, presumably, better unit. Incidentally my graphics card/monitor combination shows the difference in colouring but it's fairly subtle and if you hadn't posted the 'untainted' image it would have been of no importance. In the land of telescopes many years ago I saw chromatic aberration in refractors that would put a rainbow to shame. Today of course they are much, much better with coatings and lens configurations to defeat the curse. Reflecting telescopes don't suffer as the mirrors don't refract, but the eyepieces can. A good quality eyepiece can transform a run-of-the-mill 'scope into a totally different machine if it already has decent mirrors.

So, to thebish and Clapton is god: To what extent do you believe that these 'add-ons' affect the light path? Do they have to be matched somehow or other to your equipment or are they, in effect, 'neutral'?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:54 pm

fairly full partial solar eclipse tomorrow morning - starting at about 8:20am - ending at about 10:30am - max eclipsing coverage - about 9:30am (9:27am to be precise!)

am intending to go out and photograph it - if you're tempted - don't (unless you have a serious ND filter to block out most of the sunlight - otherwise you'll frazzle your camera's sensor and possibly blind yourself into the bargain...)

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:56 pm

thebish wrote:fairly full partial solar eclipse tomorrow morning - starting at about 8:20am - ending at about 10:30am - max eclipsing coverage - about 9:30am (9:27am to be precise!)

am intending to go out and photograph it - if you're tempted - don't (unless you have a serious ND filter to block out most of the sunlight - otherwise you'll frazzle your camera's sensor and possibly blind yourself into the bargain...)
Supposed to be raining up here :roll:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Hoboh wrote:
thebish wrote:fairly full partial solar eclipse tomorrow morning - starting at about 8:20am - ending at about 10:30am - max eclipsing coverage - about 9:30am (9:27am to be precise!)

Supposed to be raining up here :roll:
supposed to be cloudy here - so not sure how dramatic it will be!

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 pm

I was in Cornwall for the last eclipse in '99. It was cloudy, of course, so no photo opportunitities :roll: . Nevertheless, I videod the couple of minutes when darkness set in. A very, very strange experience. Difficult to describe what happened, but there were lots of strange noises and movement from birds in particular, who obviously thought it was dusk and did whatever birds do at dusk.

Tomorrow won't be as dramatic, since it won't go totally dark. It'll still be very interesting to see what happens. Hopefully someone'll get a clear sky and be able to take some photots. It won't be me. I'll be stuck in work :(
Hope is what keeps us going.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:10 am

Always hopeful wrote:I was in Cornwall for the last eclipse in '99. It was cloudy, of course, so no photo opportunitities :roll: . Nevertheless, I videod the couple of minutes when darkness set in. A very, very strange experience. Difficult to describe what happened, but there were lots of strange noises and movement from birds in particular, who obviously thought it was dusk and did whatever birds do at dusk.
I was stood on a car park in Newcastle in a suit an tie and a welding mask. It's the look of the future :)

I remember the experience as you describe it, AH, but I also remember it going cold whilst it happened.

Hope some our photo buffs on here manage to get some shots of this one.
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:I was in Cornwall for the last eclipse in '99. It was cloudy, of course, so no photo opportunitities :roll: . Nevertheless, I videod the couple of minutes when darkness set in. A very, very strange experience. Difficult to describe what happened, but there were lots of strange noises and movement from birds in particular, who obviously thought it was dusk and did whatever birds do at dusk.
I was stood on a car park in Newcastle in a suit an tie and a welding mask. It's the look of the future :)

I remember the experience as you describe it, AH, but I also remember it going cold whilst it happened.

Hope some our photo buffs on here manage to get some shots of this one.
not looking promising at the moment - heavy mist and cloud...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:42 am

I was at home for the last one in '99

Tried to 'see' it through a hole in a piece of card reflected onto a white bedsheet. Shite.

I'll be shut away in a sunless office this morning, with electric light for when it goes dark (ish)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 am

Fairly bright but cloudy in Manchester, just about to go for a walk around he park.

I was on Skiddaw in the Lakes for last one, stopped at White Stones with around a dozen other people. Abiding memory is that it got fairly dark but very cold and despite the exertion of the climb I did after I never really warmed up again for the rest of the day - and this was in August!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 am

well - bollox to that!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:58 am

Saw it, just, through cloud.
All I can say is I'm glad I didn't pay for that, just looked like early evening at its peak.

Anyway on another note, with the three events due this week I hope no one upsets Putin :mrgreen:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:02 am

Now't like good old auntie beebs news!

Much of the UK was cast into darkness! PMSL

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 am

nahhh - it was more like Bolton's recent form..

it was gloomy - then it got a bit more gloomy for a bit - then it improved and went back to being a bit gloomy...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:09 am

Had an experience of sorts. It did go darker, felt a bit odd and had the appearance of a cold day. Tried the cardboard thing, crap, then at 9-25 took the dog out. By chance I looked up and got a cracking view for a second. Remembering all the warnings I looked away, but I can surely say I saw the eclipse. Then the wife spoiled it all by saying, "Ah well, it'll probably be our last". Some folk are so fxcking cheerful. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:13 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Had an experience of sorts. It did go darker, felt a bit odd and had the appearance of a cold day. Tried the cardboard thing, crap, then at 9-25 took the dog out. By chance I looked up and got a cacking view for a second. Remembering all the warnings I looked away, but I can surely say I saw the eclipse. Then the wife spoiled it all by saying, "Ah well, it'll probably be our last". Some folk are so fxcking cheerful. :(
Only a woman :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:16 am

iirc - next partial is 2026, next full is 2090... (I doubt many of us on here will be around to see another full eclipse!)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:37 am

Definitely worth a look. The Bolton view: http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/118 ... _pictures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:By chance I looked up and got a cacking view for a second. Remembering all the warnings I looked away, but I can surely say I saw the eclipse.
Calm down, it's not a portent of the apocalypse!

Twas fairly sunny in Edinburgh despite them forecasting thick cloud for the last three days.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:37 am

Little Green Man wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:By chance I looked up and got a cacking view for a second. Remembering all the warnings I looked away, but I can surely say I saw the eclipse.
Calm down, it's not a portent of the apocalypse!

Twas fairly sunny in Edinburgh despite them forecasting thick cloud for the last three days.
:lol: Sorted.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Forgive me pimping my new photographic venture.

Only taken a week to knock this together using Wix.

Over the next week or so I am hoping for critiques from various sources and then I'll get it published with a domain name and an online shop, but until then any constructive comments gratefully received.

http://davidnewton833.wix.com/davenewton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;