The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:27 am

:hang:

Jowell is the least shit from the oh-so-superficial skimming I've done so far.

EDIT: I forgot Sadiq. One of those two.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Lol

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/vot ... .dxEM8B9aN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:
William the White wrote:I don't think it is self-indulgent if you vote for a candidate whose policies you believe in.

I think it's honest.

For Pru honesty is definitely not the best policy. It's politically naive. And honesty is bad for you. He'll make a brilliant lawyer, that's for sure.

In the 'real world' Pru inhabits you are required to vote for someone you have no respect for or not vote at all. The latter was certainly going to be my choice until Corbyn joined in the debate and animated it and - in truth - brought the dull, dreary process to life.

I'm considering my second choices. For honesty and clarity and intelligence I'd go for Liz Kendall. Pity I really don't think she's on the right political horse. But she's more impressive than the other two talking robots. I'm off to a Burnham meeting in Bolton in the morning.

I've Stella Creasy as my Dep Leader front runner atm. Though Watson's refusal to be intimidated by Murdoch gets him respect from me.
It would be dishonest to advocate or vote for a candidate I didn't think was better than Cameron, but all four tick that box for me, as they surely must for all of Corbyn's supporters. And that's the decision that will matter; that's what will make a difference to people. Cameron v one of these four. It's not dishonest to admit some pragmatism in advocating for someone who can beat the Tories. Do you agree with Corbyn on every single issue? Of course not. So let's not pretend we're dealing in absolutes.

But you enjoy your moralising sneers again. You've got honesty, remember.

Watson pipping Creasy at the mo for deputy for me. Feck knows who for mayor.
I pretty much do, actually. Though we might have them as different priorities - I'm not sure which of his many good ideas are his priorities. But, really, any of them would make a good start towards a fairer society.

I'd go further, of course - but his programme would be an excellent start.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:20 pm

How was the Burnham meeting Will? I can't see him as anything more than a yes man, a party apparatchik and lightweight. He'd make a short term safe pair of hands, but I don't see him as redefining or motivating the PLP?
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:How was the Burnham meeting Will? I can't see him as anything more than a yes man, a party apparatchik and lightweight. He'd make a short term safe pair of hands, but I don't see him as redefining or motivating the PLP?
Spoke well for a Labour audience. That's not a hard thing to do for a politician of his experience.

For my money, he was seriously lacking in the 'vision' thing - though i'm aware that is not important to some - perhaps many. I think he may get a second preference from me - but a reluctant one.

I think he might be an effective 'unity' candidate for the current PLP - he had both David Crausby and Yasmin Querishi pledging their support and speaking for him. a good sprinkling of under 25s at the meeting also.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:22 pm

William the White wrote:a good sprinkling of under 25s at the meeting also.
What was that that your father used to say? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Reading the reports much as I can't abide Corbyn's positions at least I know who the person I'm not a fan of actually is.

Burnham became a parody of himself today as he, yet again, changes horses and now agrees with Jeremy on nearly everything. His only single proper policy seems to be to say what his spinners told him to say after yesterday's private polling. Tomorrow .... well, let's wait and see. Truly cringeworthy.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 pm

I caught Burnham on the Jeremy Vine show on Friday. I've always quite liked the bloke but in a relatively soft interview, he was made to look pretty daft I felt. As Vine said "In the history of the nhs only one hospital has ever been sold to the private sector and that happened on your watch"

Plus it looks as though he's had his hair coiffurred and his eyebrows waxed. That's me oot!

Jezza all the way but Cooper is probably the best of the rest of that bad bunch
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:26 pm

Fabian Essays here: http://www.fabians.org.uk/wp-content/up ... Aug-15.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Corbyn's surprisingly wishy-washy and light, Burnham's surprisingly good, Cooper's good on plicy though dreadfully written, Kendall's has v good ideas but hits a few bum notes in an attempt to be lofty.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 pm

found a typo in Burnham's essay already, he can f*ck off.

Also, for all, citing stats would be useful!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Reading the reports much as I can't abide Corbyn's positions at least I know who the person I'm not a fan of actually is.

Burnham became a parody of himself today as he, yet again, changes horses and now agrees with Jeremy on nearly everything. His only single proper policy seems to be to say what his spinners told him to say after yesterday's private polling. Tomorrow .... well, let's wait and see. Truly cringeworthy.
I think Labour are in a mess with this election. I think the strength of Corbyn's platform, is reflective of the paucity of the other candidates, then again, it wasn't a very compelling field in 2005 for the Tories (IMO). I'm not sure how full of policies leadership elections are in general - lots of statements of intent, but policies they tend to be fairly lightweight on...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:11 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:I caught Burnham on the Jeremy Vine show
That's as far as I got!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Jeremy specifically emphasised the threat of the US-EU trade deal TTIP… NAFTA on Steroids. He called for TTIP’s rejection not only in terms of its well publicised threat to the NHS and public services but also because of the international threat that it poses to worker and environmental protection legislation across Europe, the UK and the US
I can actually warm a little to the bloke.
If only he had some decent immigration solutions, I fear under him it would be another open door policy.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:36 am

Mrs Balls mob look to be getting quite desperate.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/yv ... ?ocid=iehp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:05 pm

How do they get away with shit like this?! http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... or-leaflet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just another two day scandal. Blow over and everyone will forget.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:44 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rship-race" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two steps backwards for Corbyn!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:40 pm

Listened to Corbyn being interviewed on R4 today and thought he came across very well. Shame that smear tactics have now crept into it.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Listened to Corbyn being interviewed on R4 today and thought he came across very well. Shame that smear tactics have now crept into it.
He is quite good Bruce, it's a shame knobheads like Bland are jumping on the band waggon.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

So you like his idea of engaging with the Palestinians?

And not just any old Palestinians - murdering Palestinians?
Sto ut Serviam

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:30 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:So you like his idea of engaging with the Palestinians?

And not just any old Palestinians - murdering Palestinians?
I think my views on those types are well known CAP's :mrgreen:
You don't have to agree with everything, some of it is okay, but it's a change not having a banker programed robot spouting capital is the be all and end all for a change.