The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:32 pm

a1 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:If it's going to run that close Mof, please could we understand what and what isn't to be counted in Florida? It seemed to cause no end of problems last time around....
what gets me is people vote without understanding the rules. the whole popular/electoral college votes thing did me head in with retards moaning "i didnt vote for this", 'well yeah, you did - look heres the rules, bet youve never seen these before even though theyre about 200 years old..'.
I thought that most of the "moaning" wasn't about winning/losing the popular vote - them's the rules, as you say - but about the incorrect exclusion of large chunks of the poor and black voters of Florida (mostly Democrats) after the responsibility for compiling electoral register had been privatised and handed to a friend of Jeb Bush.
Which, many people think, is a concern for democracy.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
a1 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:If it's going to run that close Mof, please could we understand what and what isn't to be counted in Florida? It seemed to cause no end of problems last time around....
what gets me is people vote without understanding the rules. the whole popular/electoral college votes thing did me head in with retards moaning "i didnt vote for this", 'well yeah, you did - look heres the rules, bet youve never seen these before even though theyre about 200 years old..'.
So is that a failure of the people who the rules are imposed upon, or the democratically elected rule makers whose job it is to act transparantly and create a fair and understandable system.

I hear the banking industry using the same excuse "you wouldn't understand". Try us.
The issue of being able to understand the ballot paper was only one of the very many legal cases heard as part of the whole recount fiasco. Given that the US is the defender of the free and the bastion of elected governments, it was nothing short of farcical (without arguing from either a Democtratic or Republican standpoint particularly.)

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:48 pm

It'll be a terrible indictment on American society if John McCain and Sarah Palin get in power. Thankfully, there's approximately only 6% chance of that happening now.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Lord Kangana wrote: So is that a failure of the people who the rules are imposed upon, or the democratically elected rule makers whose job it is to act transparantly and create a fair and understandable system.

I hear the banking industry using the same excuse "you wouldn't understand". Try us.
no , that system is as "fair" as any other (they all have their mathematical flaws, and inconsistancies , theyre all paradoxical in one way), in fact i think it changed to that system when someone worked out george washington won an election by too much or too little and it wasnt as 'fair'as it shouldve been.. a few years afterwards, though.

if youre gonna vote (or do almost anything for that matter) , the least they can do is read the rules.

its maths , theyre gonna have to use that for a vote.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:15 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Prufrock wrote:hmmm. his basic point seems sensible enough, that people who were always going to vote Republican wont vote Obama, not because they are racist, but because they are republican. That doesnt mean they arent, or that all of them are, but he does seem to be suggesting that everyone is either a definate republican, or a definate democrat. there are always people in the middle who can be swayed.
He mentions 'independents'. I am staggered at the attention this innocuous snippet has attracted.

But are there not also voters who would at one moment in time describe themselves in a survey or a poll as 'republican' (or vice versa) who could be swayed?
There are people who were republican who might vote democrat this time.

Prufrock wrote:Im not the biggest fan of Obama, i dont think he has many genuinly inovative ideas for this 'change' everyone is obsessed with; however, i would much rather him get in than McCain. And that is what i think most people feel like as well. It seems that the Democrats arent so much going to win this election, as the republicans, both over the course of this election campaign, and the last 8 years, will have lost it.
The Obama machine is formidable - well organised, well-funded and very very effective. When the Democrats win, it won't be by default or accident.

No problems with the statement that the Obama machine is massive, but you make out like the republicans are some tiny underdog. they too have a massive army of PR people and a media machine. Obama doesnt have any particularly strong policies, in fact i agree with the majority of the doubts you yourself have raised about him on here, however i think he is the lesser of two evils and that is why i think he will win. He strikes me as the TOny BLair of American politics. Not as leftie as his party normally is, no real policies, an obsession with the word change, and a campaign based on being a 'hey look at me, I'm just this guy'.That said, as weak as i personally think OBama is, id rather have him than an ill nutjob with a FECKING nutjob of a running mate.

Prufrock wrote: Also, the bold bit is bollocks. If his point was the Bradley effect might not solely reflect racism, but also people's fear of appearing racist, then fair enough. he seems to be suggesting that a true racist wouldnt have the brains to lie, and that ALL the people who lied about their vote were in fact just scared of appearing racist. A theory he has NO evidence for apart from his biased logic.
I don't think he's suggesting anything to do with a lack of brains.

Perhaps not brains, but most of the people i know who i would consider racist arent stupid enough OR are dare i suggest too ashamed of the views they are happy to share amongst white peers, to share them in public. Also racists often have double standards hence the classic line 'im not a racist, i have black friends'. My nana is as racist as they come in private, yet she is really close to her Indian next door neighbour. Go figure. The assumption in the article seems to be that all racists wear their racism on their sleeves. To suggest that a racist would PROBABLY not lie about their opinion seems ludicrous. What proof does he have for that. Thats not to say that there werent people who only said they voted for Bradley through embarassment, but to suggest that they all were embarrased, non racist, just-happened-to-want-to-vote-for-the-white-guy people is completely baseless.

And the theory exists entirely independently of his 'biased logic'.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:01 pm

You don't think Obama is a leftie?

And how have we let it become the conventional wisdom that McCain and Palin are 'nutjobs'? What marks them out as being so?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:04 pm

They're American, they're politicians, they're Republicans. Its enough circumstantial evidence to build a strong case :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:06 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:You don't think Obama is a leftie?
Is anyone in mainstream American politics, bar Nader, a leftie?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:34 pm

Verbal wrote:
Yes - Obama is a Marxist.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 pm

Cooooool.

I like him even more now. He might even have a different agenda than the last 30-odd administrations.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:18 am

I'm hoping Obama gets in a does a black power salute a declares war on whitey!
Viva La Portable Radio!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:47 am

mofgimmers wrote:I'm hoping Obama gets in a does a black power salute a declares war on whitey!
:D

Certainly wouldn't put it past his wife.

Anyway, Mof, do you honestly think the man is 'cool'?

He reminds of a geeky undergraduate in much the same way as David Miliband did when I met him....

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:02 am

Verbal wrote:
Just because as a kid he knew Frank Marshall Davis (who died 20 years ago), PB? More guilt by association. He's a terrorist because he sat on a charity board with a professor who was once a Weatherman? He's a Muslim because of his middle name? He's a racist because his minister friend was? I thought you looked deeper than this.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:11 am

I don't understand whats so wrong with being a Marxist?

It seems on the other side of the pond the word is used in the context of a rapist or a murderer. For the life of me I can't get my head round that. They have a warmongering, corrupt neo-fascist incumbent at the moment...in comparison a Marxist would be all flowers and chocolates.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Just because as a kid he knew Frank Marshall Davis (who died 20 years ago), PB? More guilt by association. He's a terrorist because he sat on a charity board with a professor who was once a Weatherman? He's a Muslim because of his middle name? He's a racist because his minister friend was? I thought you looked deeper than this.
I've never called him a terrorist, nor 'accused' him of being a muslim.

You want to look deeper? How about his strong ties with the New Party in the mid-90s? Or even just his public voting record and the passages in his books about 'economic justice' would be a start.

As for his minister 'friend'... this would be the 'friend' who married him and his wife, baptized his children, whom Obama describes in his book as his 'mentor' and 'spiritual guide'.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:51 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:I remain unashamed to state my view that Obama is the affirmative action candidate and that a white man with the same resume would not have a prayer of becoming President.
I would imagine that Baldrick running under the Democrat card this time round would be a marginal favourite heading into November 4th, if only because of the record of the Republicans over the last 8 years, to be fair.

The analogy of the two ice-cream sellers on the beach springs to mind about the election, though, especially when I've seen the debates.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 am

In a slightly interesting diversion. He's bought Advertising space inside a racing game - Burnout Paradise...I'm sure lots of people will hit the off switch to head out and vote half-way through a record setting lap.

In game political advertising

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:40 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:You want to look deeper? How about his strong ties with the New Party in the mid-90s? Or even just his public voting record and the passages in his books about 'economic justice' would be a start.
What's wrong with economic justice exactly? Helping those who can't help themselves?

There are people (not many, but some) on the right in favour of economic justice, so you wouldn't call them Marxist. You're using the term as far too broad a brush.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:42 am

Verbal wrote:
?

I haven't seen the bit where he calls for revolution yet.

Or says he wants an insular economy.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:18 am

This is all a bit pointless to be honest. It's like Sunday Paper journalism. Obama and McCain probably had an ideological start to their political lives - many who follow that path do, but strangely ideologies often held in the teens and twenties do tend to change over time into more rounded opinions. Obama maybe slightly left of centerist politics but the next Uncle Joe - I doubt it.

Similarly, one could look at McCain's history. Some would say he's a facist, plenty would point to his comments about hating "gooks" and still hating them (although he has better reason than most) pointing to him certainly posessing a streak of racism.

It would probably be a little easier instead of pointing to ideological conjecture from some time ago, if someone could highlight which of Obama's proposed "policies" are Marxist or which of McCain's are overtly Racist/Facist. Genreal mudslinging with no actual facts is unlikely to sway many I suspect [edit] outside of the US...