What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by clapton is god » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 am

Watched two old films last night. Stand By Me is a coming of age film about four young lads on the cusp of adulthood but still capable of breaking down in tears. Kiefer Sutherland included together with River Phoenix some 7yrs before his death. Next up was Marathon Man, a 1976 film with Dustin Hoffman. I'd seen this one several times before but not for many a year and my wife had never seen it. Two terrific films that we all enjoyed very much.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:33 pm

clapton is god wrote:Watched two old films last night. Stand By Me is a coming of age film about four young lads on the cusp of adulthood but still capable of breaking down in tears. Kiefer Sutherland included together with River Phoenix some 7yrs before his death. Next up was Marathon Man, a 1976 film with Dustin Hoffman. I'd seen this one several times before but not for many a year and my wife had never seen it. Two terrific films that we all enjoyed very much.
Both excellent, I agree. Once ran a marathon with a dicky knee but the agony was nothing compared to the dentist scene with Dustin!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote: Did you know that sales of Merlot dropped noticeably in California after the release of that film?
I didn't, but I was actually enjoying a Merlot whilst watching it, trying to figure out why yer man had such a downer on it. :?
I hate to wade in here with a really boring bit, but there is a reason (beyond that film) why the sales of Merlot had so far to fall. American wine consumption has its own year zero (I think its 1991) when 60 minutes aired a documentary about The French Paradox (google it) which showed a causal link between wine consumption and a decrease in heart disease.

Now then, two things. Merlot is easy drinking (and can be "a bit boring"?), so whilst wine sales soared, sales of Merlot went through the roof, exponentially higher than all the others. The deep irony of this is that the causal link specifically showed that the grape varieties of Tannat, Negrette and Auxerrois (you'll probably know this as Malbec) found, quite specifically, in Madiran, Fronton and Cahors wine were the only wines that had demonstrably made a difference (The whole study has been heavily challenged since, if you're interested). Meanwhile, the study specifically named Merlot as a grape variety that carried no discernible health benefit. So anyway, I digress...

In conclusion

1) Americans are a bit stupid.
2) The sales of Merlot dipping after the film are an urban legend, they were on the way down already, as drinkers matured with their tastes and knowledge.

Sorry.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Knowledgeable spoilsport!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Watched Michael Moore's Sicko last night. Enjoyable documentary if rather worrying if we ever go down the route of replacing the NHS with something approaching the American model.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:17 pm

We are doing. Scary documentary, isn't it?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 am

whilst eating my holiday day1 cooked breakfast before trying to cram the HUGE pile of stuff the missus has piled by the front door into car/trailer/roofbox...

listened to a fascinatingly scary programme on R4 presented by Robert Peston about high frequency trading - and how it has taken over the New York stock exchange - and just how scary a prospect it might be!!

I knew about computer algorithms in trading - but had no idea about the extent of it or the speed of it... one day we will lose control of the world economy entirely to machines.....

"A Dark Magic" it was called - will be on BBC iplayer eventually..

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:03 pm

About five years ago we saw Count Arthur Strong at the Albert hall. It was the most surreal night ever. Just seen the first episode of his new TV series on BBC2 and had tears rolling down my face. Very funny - in a very strange kind of way!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:59 pm

clapton is god wrote:About five years ago we saw Count Arthur Strong at the Albert hall. It was the most surreal night ever. Just seen the first episode of his new TV series on BBC2 and had tears rolling down my face. Very funny - in a very strange kind of way!
I didn't ... I won't, ever, watch it.

Glad you had fun. It wouldn't do to all be the same ....... I suppose. :?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
clapton is god wrote:About five years ago we saw Count Arthur Strong at the Albert hall. It was the most surreal night ever. Just seen the first episode of his new TV series on BBC2 and had tears rolling down my face. Very funny - in a very strange kind of way!

The Observer preview yesterday:

It is an embarrassing failure... Do we really pay our licence fees for this rubbish?

A minority taste - i feckin hope...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:02 pm

I saw 'Private Lives' by Noel Coward last week.

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/thea ... 87127.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Unapologetically lightweight'... yes, I agree. I think I'd have liked some more contrition!

Off to see 'Sweet Bird of Youth' with Kim Cattrall tonight. Well, she's in it, I mean.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Also saw Macbeth at the Globe on Saturday.

I agree with all the criticism in this review, but not the generous 4* conclusion. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea ... Globe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, a bit lightweight - really you know haven't seen a good production of Macbeth if you leave saying that.

Perhaps I'm just a miserable bastard.

I also thought Eve Best was too old and lacking in sexual charm to be a convincing Lady Macbeth to Jonathan Millson's Macbeth here.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: I also thought Eve Best was too old and lacking in sexual charm to be a convincing Lady Macbeth to Jonathan Millson's Macbeth here.
Would that be Samantha Spiro as Lady Macbeth, PB?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Francesca Annis takes some beating I'd say. Still never seen it on stage.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Francesca Annis takes some beating I'd say. Still never seen it on stage.
... oer, Mrs !! :shock:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Francesca Annis takes some beating I'd say. Still never seen it on stage.
... oer, Mrs !! :shock:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:37 am

William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

It is an embarrassing failure... Do we really pay our licence fees for this rubbish?

Well, after its successful first episode BBC2 have commissioned a second series. After 2 days and one show ?? Am I cynical for thinking that's a bit soon ?

I blame you, Clapton.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:38 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: I also thought Eve Best was too old and lacking in sexual charm to be a convincing Lady Macbeth to Jonathan Millson's Macbeth here.
Would that be Samantha Spiro as Lady Macbeth, PB?
Sorry, yes - I have got that wrong and named the director there.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:08 am

bobo the clown wrote:
William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

Well, after its successful first episode BBC2 have commissioned a second series. After 2 days and one show ?? Am I cynical for thinking that's a bit soon ?

I blame you, Clapton.
It was a bit shit.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:31 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
William the White wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:

I blame you, Clapton.
It was a bit shit.
It was certainly what you might call niche viewing but myself and our lad were laughing out loud right through it. Mrs C could not be induced to watch it though!