What are you eating and drinking tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:14 am

For the first time in a long time I wandered down to our local 'Chinese' shop last evening. I'm not a particularly keen bloke when it comes to Chinese dishes but this establishment is only nominally of that type and provides many alternatives. So I plumped for a couple of chicken omelets, the 'other one' being for Mrs Duj. The servings (if you can call them that) are generous to the extent that neither of us could demolish the contents of our containers. So now I get to eat the same again for lunch or tonight's evening meal at no further expense. Given that it was delicious I'm not complaining.

Before anyone starts yelling at me for buying fast-food or its equivalent I can assure you that it isn't. Even if it was, it's a six kilometre round trip walk to the shop and back, which I reckon would burn off nearly enough energy to counteract any weight-adding components contained within the food. Cholesterol? I'll find out next time I walk around the place, which will probably be today.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:54 pm

William the White wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:And did you make it a perfect 10 of an evening, Dr Rock? :wink:

The Lamb Rogan Josh is nearing completion in the kitchen and I've just opened a Campo Viejo Reserva -2004. Absolutely bloody delicious.
Rioja the perfect wine with rogan josh... or any tomato concoction... Is 2004 a good reserva?

I really like those medium weight reds like rioja or valdepenas or burgundy or chianti or that carmenere we talked about ages ago... good sipping wine as well as for food... whereas those heavyweights - esp the oz ones - really are only good for chewing or making casseroles. imho...

Today.. 'lunch' with my cordon bleu trained and whites fanatic mate - who i've talked about before - for three whites fans (all of us going to west brom until the fulham fiasco made us change our mind) so the chef invited us for...

i can't quite believe this...

Smoked salmon fishcakes... i can't tell how good these were - served with tiny balsamic dressed salad and a rioja (red), don't know year but perfect...

Liver and onions in red wine and lemon sauce (!) with herbal mash and chilean cabernet red wine...

Strawberries and cream with ginger biscuits crumbled thereon (!)... friend reckons ginger bics and strawberries go well together - he's not wrong...

Blue and Lancashire cheeses with crumbed port wine (I'd never had before - spicy and really coated the tongue)...

And, as digestif, 12 year old glenlivet...

This 'lunch' started at 3.30 and finished at 8.25...

And we had the GMR commentary until 5.00 - this was a mixed blessing...

So... home now, one point on the board, not entirely sober, but very entirely full :D
I want to be your mates mate!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Dujon wrote:For the first time in a long time I wandered down to our local 'Chinese' shop last evening. I'm not a particularly keen bloke when it comes to Chinese dishes but this establishment is only nominally of that type and provides many alternatives. So I plumped for a couple of chicken omelets, the 'other one' being for Mrs Duj. The servings (if you can call them that) are generous to the extent that neither of us could demolish the contents of our containers. So now I get to eat the same again for lunch or tonight's evening meal at no further expense. Given that it was delicious I'm not complaining.

Before anyone starts yelling at me for buying fast-food or its equivalent I can assure you that it isn't. Even if it was, it's a six kilometre round trip walk to the shop and back, which I reckon would burn off nearly enough energy to counteract any weight-adding components contained within the food. Cholesterol? I'll find out next time I walk around the place, which will probably be today.
Surely then the food is cold by the time you are back home?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:39 pm

William the White wrote:Rioja the perfect wine with rogan josh... or any tomato concoction... Is 2004 a good reserva?

Sorry, William, I'd missed this. One of my favourites. Really rich in fruit flavours and exceptionally smooth. One of those whereby you immediately know where your extra couple of Quid have gone. That is presuming, if you'll allow, that you don't buy at the dearer end for a nowt special weekend night in.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: . . . Surely then the food is cold by the time you are back home?
Funny you should say that, BWFC_Insane, as I expected it to be. Perhaps it was because of two little plastic thingamabobs being snuggled up together or that the ambient temperature was well and truly above freezing or that I walked faster than I anticipated. Whatever, I did not need to put it into the microwave oven on one of those low setting thingywhatsits in order to heat it.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:50 pm

Late supper after theatre - nice sweet potato and butter bean balti, a good standby from partner, bottle of becks, glass of Oz white reduced at sainsbury...

Nice...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:Rioja the perfect wine with rogan josh... or any tomato concoction... Is 2004 a good reserva?

Sorry, William, I'd missed this. One of my favourites. Really rich in fruit flavours and exceptionally smooth. One of those whereby you immediately know where your extra couple of Quid have gone. That is presuming, if you'll allow, that you don't buy at the dearer end for a nowt special weekend night in.
Found a 2004 in morrisons tonight, but was a tenner, and too expensive for wednesday... saturday maybe, in a good mood... that the going rate? Makes it more attractive in a sense - special treat :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:04 am

William the White wrote: Found a 2004 in morrisons tonight, but was a tenner, and too expensive for wednesday... saturday maybe, in a good mood... that the going rate? Makes it more attractive in a sense - special treat :D
It is indeed, Sir.
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:17 pm

Tesco have reduced one of their bottles of Sancerre and a cracking Chablis, both delicious tipples..

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm

Just enjoying a Terry's chocolate orange (the last of the Christmas chocky!) and a can of Strongbow. Qual-ee-tee. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Eating late - was at daughter's A Level drama 'exam' - a 30 min play... she was brill - tho i am ever so slightly biased...

But sea bream baking, new potatoes boiling, asparagus waiting for the steam and a portuguese dry and fragrant white wine freshly poured.

Life's a bitch. :D

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:41 pm

William the White wrote:Eating late - was at daughter's A Level drama 'exam' - a 30 min play... she was brill - tho i am ever so slightly biased...

But sea bream baking, new potatoes boiling, asparagus waiting for the steam and a portuguese dry and fragrant white wine freshly poured.

Hope she does well William :) is she still wanting to go to Bath Spa?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Sometimes, the simple things are best. Just opened a tin of tuna, gave it the salt, vinegar, pepper touch, added some sliced cucumber and whacked it between two thick slices of toastie loaf. Mug of tea, job done. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Verbal wrote:
William the White wrote:Eating late - was at daughter's A Level drama 'exam' - a 30 min play... she was brill - tho i am ever so slightly biased...

Hope she does well William :) is she still wanting to go to Bath Spa?
Thanks for the good wishes... she has offers at all her ucas choices... but bath spa offers the most interesting course for her, though not the most demanding offer... she wants such an unusual combination that only 5 unis offer it, of which Lancaster is the most 'prestigious' (and closest, more important to me and her mum than to her!) and Worcester the least...

It's between Bath Spa and Lancaster, and there's four weeks left for her to make the decision... I'm almost certain she'll go for Bath Spa, because it's the only one with the absolute precise course she wants. And we'll support her in that.

In any case she's going in 2010, doing an arts foundation diploma in between a levels and uni... i think it's a kind of treat, art is the thing she's most passionate about, and to spend a year studying nothing but is a dream for her... though she doesn't want to do art exclusively in her degree...

Hey, verbal, you asked me an innocent question, and got a dad rabbiting on about his daughter... sorry... your positive report on Bath as a place to live for students did make me feel good about her going there... so thanks for that... :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Jane Austen lives again. I can almost hear those carriage wheels rattling. :wink:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Jane Austen lives again. I can almost hear those carriage wheels rattling. :wink:
This is a reference to??? :?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:33 pm

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Jane Austen lives again. I can almost hear those carriage wheels rattling. :wink:
Well, erm the Bath of the dear lady's literary world? :cry:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:
LOL... The place of gentility... which Verbal already enhances and my daughter may decide to grace if she passes the soddin a levels... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:42 pm

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
William the White wrote:
LOL... The place of gentility... which Verbal already enhances and my daughter may decide to grace if she passes the soddin a levels... :wink:
Well, I 've never actually been there, although I've meant to for ages. Went over to Bronte land last Sunday and with the wind howling across the moorland you could almost hear Heathcliffe calling for Kathy. Not sure what the Bronte girls would make of the wind farms of today though. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:45 pm

It's my standard student I've ran out of money and need to beg the rents to lend me some more meal tonight. It's called a what's left in the fridge omelette. Turkey, chopped cherry toms, bit of sandwich ham, tad of melted cheddar, and a splash of tabasco. Lovely. All washed down with corporation pop.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.