RUGBY WORLD CUP THREAD

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:11 am

Again a match that kicked of at 3am Aussie time so I didn't stay up for the game, so what a surprise this morning to wake up to a 14-9 win. Wilkinson may have kicked us through again but we scored the only try and kept the French out. The match is replayed at 9am so will be able to watch it without fear.

Doubt that we can beat the South Africans so am hoping for an Argie win in today's (tonights) second semi. Whatever happens no one would have given England a chance of getting through to the final before the tournament started, or for that matter as little as 10 days ago. But, anything can happen in a one off match and especially a World Cup Final, so you never know it could just be our year again!!!!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:38 am

Truly wonderful :)

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:52 am

can't wait for next weekend. even if we get the 'boks. all's you have to do is nail all the press clippings from the last 6 months to the dressing room, spesh the stuff in the wake of the 36-0 defeat. what more an incentive do you want.

apart from.........

the fecking trophy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:14 pm

finlayson wrote:Much better than that boring, one sided rubbish we saw at OT earlier.

Yet again proper rugby proving to be the more entertaining game!
You clearly missed the first half at OT then? :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Batman wrote:I'll rattle her
fixed

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:09 pm

officer_dibble wrote:not a big egg chasing fan meself but watched that and it was class

does wilkinson only play from minutes 70-80 or what?
You weren't watching rugby if you think that OD. Wilkinson is much more than a penalty kicker. He tackles blokes twice as big as himself (and nails em too), sweeps up at the back, rides the wings and directs a lot of the play. He's always in the thick of it. Scoring drop goals and penalty kicks, is just the icing on the cake. The man's a phenomenon.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:28 pm

An incredible win, and no matter what now, a lot of people are going to have to eat a whole lot of humble pie!

Though if we are going to win the World cup, we are simply going to have to start finding touch with our kicks. Both Australia and France let us of the hook.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:44 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:An incredible win, and no matter what now, a lot of people are going to have to eat a whole lot of humble pie!

Though if we are going to win the World cup, we are simply going to have to start finding touch with our kicks. Both Australia and France let us of the hook.
I'm just a wee bit concerned with the referees (in general) not watching the ball going "homeward bound" in line-outs. It's happened a few times in this series and, if you don't win your own line-outs you're just giving posession back to the opposition. The French rarely give posession away and are great at driving for the line. To that end our defence last night was utterly phenomenal. The French standard ploy was also spoiled a liitle by having to bring the Caveman and Michilak on too early due to their counterparts getting injured. They always rely on a late charge and our defence was up to it. Great game of rugby, if not a pretty one.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:51 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:An incredible win, and no matter what now, a lot of people are going to have to eat a whole lot of humble pie!

sorry SOTWA but that is nonsense, in both games both teams missed their kicks both for touch and goal if you want to go down that line then England let each of them off the hook. The fact is that in both games Engalnd were stronger in defence, midfield and attack.

The big thing in both games have been England have dominated at the scrum and at the breakdown. It will be a different story if they face SA.

Oh and biggest myth of the comp - Chabal. A cartoon character of a player put on his ass by our backs, not the beast made out in the press. Funniest moment him running in to Matt Stevens at full pelt and being stopped dead in his tracks by the Celebrity X-factor winner!

It was also one of the most poorly officiated matches of the comp with a penalty against sheridan for not allowing the bind being rubbish, Robinson being ajudged in touch when he wasn't and all officials missing england players throwing punches.

On Wilkinson - he's not a phenomenon, he's a good player but plenty of our backs have very similar attributes, the thing that differntiates him is his reading of the game and his composure. The vast gulf between him and his understudy, Flood, was all too apparent. But the difference between Wilkinson and say Gomersal, is not so big. The trouble is that only Ollie Barkley comes close to Wilkinson at fly-half but even he lacks the experience. Wilko directs play so much that England do look quite lost without him - that's a lack of strengh in depth at 10 that doesn't exist in almost any other position.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Argies can't be faulted for effort, but they're making errors and getting punished for it. Boks looking lethal. Habana is like a greyhound on meths.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:50 pm

I don't like rugby

I don't follow rugby

I watched the France game, and was heartily unimpressed by the game.

No skill involved other than the kickers, just a lot of fat blokes rolling around on the floor.

Tripe

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:14 pm

steve Walsh is a wanker
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:22 pm

not a bad centre half

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:44 pm

It's the Boks and they look awesome. We'll have to be something else to keep the trophy. Fist or two flying at the end mainly frustration but the Argies were well second best.
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:48 pm

I have a fiver on England in the sweeps at work at 25s

and a fiver on SA with Paddy Power at 10s.

When is the final?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Batman wrote:I have a fiver on England in the sweeps at work at 25s

When is the final?
Shouldn't you have found that out when placing your bet? :conf:

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Saturday.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

When is the final?

Erm, no

why would I

I saw the odds and saw the chance of making a few quid

it's a sport I have never played, nor shown much interest in,

so in short

no

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:03 pm

Batman wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

When is the final?

Erm, no

why would I

so in short

no
I mean shouldn't you have sussed out when the final is.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Batman wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

When is the final?

Erm, no

why would I

so in short

no
I mean shouldn't you have sussed out when the final is.
again, why?