Boston Marathon hit by explosions

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Boston Marathon hit by explosions

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm

thebish wrote:perspective can be a strange thing...

deaths from terrorism-related incidents in the U.S.A. are relatively small compared with almost anything else - but MINUSCULE when compared to gun-crime.

yet - legislation is quick and speedy and (some would say) draconian when it comes to terrorism - but non-existent when it comes to gun-crime..

last week they would not agree to proper vetting/background checks (not even as far as licensing!) for people buying guns because it might erode their basic freedoms...

(NB - for the avoidance of confusion - (errr... Hoboh) - I am not saying that any death of a person via terrorism doesn't matter, not am I saying I love terrorists or want to have Bin Laden's baby via some bizarre post-death genetic miracle.)
But then how many people refuse to fly or have to be drugged to do so, yet will happily ride in a car hundreds of times a year?

I guess fears aren't always rational. Legislation of course, should be.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:perspective can be a strange thing...

deaths from terrorism-related incidents in the U.S.A. are relatively small compared with almost anything else - but MINUSCULE when compared to gun-crime.

yet - legislation is quick and speedy and (some would say) draconian when it comes to terrorism - but non-existent when it comes to gun-crime..

last week they would not agree to proper vetting/background checks (not even as far as licensing!) for people buying guns because it might erode their basic freedoms...

(NB - for the avoidance of confusion - (errr... Hoboh) - I am not saying that any death of a person via terrorism doesn't matter, not am I saying I love terrorists or want to have Bin Laden's baby via some bizarre post-death genetic miracle.)
But then how many people refuse to fly or have to be drugged to do so, yet will happily ride in a car hundreds of times a year?

I guess fears aren't always rational. Legislation of course, should be.
indeed - which was my point!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't fly but will get in a car mostly through fear of plummeting to earth in a burning fire ball from 35,000 feet. As far as I know no one has ever been killed that way in a car.
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:59 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I don't fly but will get in a car mostly through fear of plummeting to earth in a burning fire ball from 35,000 feet. As far as I know no one has ever been killed that way in a car.
My sentiments precisely, though I have now flown in the last four years because of my new wife and old kids. I avoided flying for decades.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:I don't fly but will get in a car mostly through fear of plummeting to earth in a burning fire ball from 35,000 feet. As far as I know no one has ever been killed that way in a car.
My sentiments precisely, though I have now flown in the last four years because of my new wife and old kids. I avoided flying for decades.
Which is fine, but if you don't fly for the fear of dying, that is, fairly irrational, especially if you do expose yourselves to the greater risk of dying in a car, for example.

Not that there is owt you can do about it.

I have a fear of alligators. Never seen one in the flesh in my life and I'm fairly sure the odds of me seeing one are incredibly low. Alls I was saying is that fears are often not that rational.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I have a fear of alligators. Never seen one in the flesh in my life and I'm fairly sure the odds of me seeing one are incredibly low. Alls I was saying is that fears are often not that rational.
My fear of spiders is rational.

Horrible little b'stards
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 pm

I used to have a terrible fear of flying. I overcame it by doing quite a lot of it. It just bores me to tears now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I used to have a terrible fear of flying. I overcame it by doing quite a lot of it. It just bores me to tears now.
I'll go with that. Apart from taking off and landing it's a total bore. Helicopter flights mind are a totally different experience and really enjoyable.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:04 pm

I have a fear of knives and butter. But not butter knives because they possess neither the sharpness of knives or the butteryness of butter.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Which is fine, but if you don't fly for the fear of dying, that is, fairly irrational, especially if you do expose yourselves to the greater risk of dying in a car, for example.

Not that there is owt you can do about it.

I have a fear of alligators. Never seen one in the flesh in my life and I'm fairly sure the odds of me seeing one are incredibly low. Alls I was saying is that fears are often not that rational.
It's not fear of dying (we all face that), it is how you die. Furthermore I have a measure of control driving a car and my survival possibilities increase greatly if I drive sensibly. In an airplane I have to rely on some guy I never meet driving at appalling speeds and extremely high. He may be drunk or having a bad day - I have no control.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I used to have a terrible fear of flying. I overcame it by doing quite a lot of it. It just bores me to tears now.
Four trips to winter sunshine have inured me somewhat, but I still fight the fear on take-off, landing and turbulence.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:26 pm

On flying, no pilot would ever take off if he thought he might die. I just trust the pilot and read a book. When your number's up....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm

The Canadian suspect, Chiheb Esseghaier, does not seem typical to me. A PhD student at INRS he has co-authored half a dozen scientific papers (principal researcher in three). He is on linkedin. Hi field is biochemistry.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm

A part of my role in a job I had several years ago now, was body recovery after major incidents. The course for that was one I suspect some of you may not have enjoyed. It started with a film about Lockerbie, not filmed by the BBC, but by the Met Police squad who did the body recovery there. I can still remember all of the detail.

The functional party of the course was learning how to recover, label and sort body parts, most of which was done at the end of the runway at Manchester to make it "More realistic".

It still hasn't put me off flying thank God, I couldn't do without my holidays!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:48 pm

This with bells on.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:The Canadian suspect, Chiheb Esseghaier, does not seem typical to me. A PhD student at INRS he has co-authored half a dozen scientific papers (principal researcher in three). He is on linkedin. Hi field is biochemistry.
In what way is he not typical? The tw+ts at Glasgow Airport were doctors. The only connection necessary is that they are fxckin Muslim.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:A part of my role in a job I had several years ago now, was body recovery after major incidents. The course for that was one I suspect some of you may not have enjoyed. It started with a film about Lockerbie, not filmed by the BBC, but by the Met Police squad who did the body recovery there. I can still remember all of the detail.

The functional party of the course was learning how to recover, label and sort body parts, most of which was done at the end of the runway at Manchester to make it "More realistic".

My aunt's (by marriage) daughter lived close to Lockerbie. She awoke on the morning after to find an aircraft seat at the bottom of her garden. In it was seated a young girl. She was still strapped in
The seat was upright, with the girl in a seated position. Everything looked normal apart from obviously you don't expect when taking your dog out for a walk at six in the morning to find a woman dead in your garden. She was strapped in. She was whole, no bits missing. But she was completely naked, no clothes whatsoever. That has put me off flying for the rest of my life. I do it, but every time is an ordeal.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Thing is when I get in my car I feel in control. I really don't give a fxcl that 800 people might have died horribly in car accidents that morning. But every time I board an aircraft I cannot help but feel some Muslim cxnt wants to divest me of dignity, my clothes, and life itself, and all because of some arsehole ethos that is shite personified.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Thing is when I get in my car I feel in control. I really don't give a fxcl that 800 people might have died horribly in car accidents that morning. But every time I board an aircraft I cannot help but feel some Muslim cxnt wants to divest me of dignity, my clothes, and life itself, and all because of some arsehole ethos that is shite personified.
I think car bombers are much more common.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:A part of my role in a job I had several years ago now, was body recovery after major incidents. The course for that was one I suspect some of you may not have enjoyed. It started with a film about Lockerbie, not filmed by the BBC, but by the Met Police squad who did the body recovery there. I can still remember all of the detail.

My aunt's (by marriage) daughter lived close to Lockerbie. She awoke on the morning after to find an aircraft seat at the bottom of her garden. In it was seated a young girl. She was still strapped in
The seat was upright, with the girl in a seated position. Everything looked normal apart from obviously you don't expect when taking your dog out for a walk at six in the morning to find a woman dead in your garden. She was strapped in. She was whole, no bits missing. But she was completely naked, no clothes whatsoever. That has put me off flying for the rest of my life. I do it, but every time is an ordeal.
It haunts me, as I fall asleep at night I try and recreate what the fxck that girl went through. I mean, when did she die? Was it when she hit the ground, or earlier? I've no idea. But equally I cannot understand the physical process that detaches a seat from an airplane and allows it to plummet for 35,000 feet and strip your knickers off but still allows you to repose in someones garden in a seat.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください