What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by jaffka » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:The Walking Dead tonight, YUM!
enjoyed it again!

tainted meat...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 pm

jaffka wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:The Walking Dead tonight, YUM!
enjoyed it again!

tainted meat...
Yes! The tears before he got grabbed. I wondered what you were on about last week, but haven't read the books.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:38 pm

Any of you familiar with a film called Killing Bono? Had it recommended to me today. Sounds good. I've put it on my list.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Any of you familiar with a film called Killing Bono? Had it recommended to me today. Sounds good. I've put it on my list.
Not got rid of U2 off you're iPhone yet then, mate?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 am

yeah wasnt too enamoured with it tbh.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:33 am

Read about the new film version being made of Dad's Army. Everything has adaptations, I've seen many over the years. How many versions of Robin Hood have there been? Somehow though, replacing Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier and Bill Pertwee will be an immense task; surpassing them will be almost impossible for me.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:47 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Read about the new film version being made of Dad's Army. Everything has adaptations, I've seen many over the years. How many versions of Robin Hood have there been? Somehow though, replacing Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier and Bill Pertwee will be an immense task; surpassing them will be almost impossible for me.
Toby Jones as Cpt Mainwaring.
Bill Nighy as Sgt Wilson.
Tom Courtenay as Jones
Blake Harrison as Pike.
Daniel Ways - Walker

Not sure who's playing ARP Warden Hodges...

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:53 am

they're filming now. here's some pics

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/dads ... us-4475147" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Read about the new film version being made of Dad's Army. Everything has adaptations, I've seen many over the years. How many versions of Robin Hood have there been? Somehow though, replacing Arthur Lowe, John Le Mesurier and Bill Pertwee will be an immense task; surpassing them will be almost impossible for me.
For me, Dad's Army was the best cast show of all time, and that's what's so, so critical here. Half of me can't wait for it, the other half holds complete trepidation. I do think that they've possibly cast it as well as is possible though.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:02 pm

^
I really hope it's a huge success for all the pleasure watching it will bring.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
For me, Dad's Army was the best cast show of all time, and that's what's so, so critical here. Half of me can't wait for it, the other half holds complete trepidation. I do think that they've possibly cast it as well as is possible though.
This, but with a big reservation over Bill Nighy. Wilson is so important and i'm just worried will just overdo it.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 pm

:lol:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
See Wicker Man, The Italian Job, the "New" James Bond's etc. etc....I'm sure there's a long list of fcku-ups.

Can't wait for them to have another go at Animal House...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:43 pm

I steadfastly refuse to watch remakes of The Wicker Man, the Italian Job, or any remakes of The Millennium Trilogy.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:I steadfastly refuse to watch remakes of The Wicker Man, the Italian Job, or any remakes of The Millennium Trilogy.

I don't often watch remakes - so this is probably a very small sample! But the best remake I have watched is the American version of House of Cards...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Re makes of classics are always risky. In fairness, modern film-makers tend to research historical stuff "quite" well, with the emphasis obviously on the entertainment angle, and technology makes for some fantastic effects. I'm not a lover of time-changing period stuff but I'll readily admit that film-making is pretty good all round. Some films, as said, are better just left alone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

^
Like Graham Greene's The Third Man and that famous speech from Orson Welles in the film:

"You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

None of which was true of course,( variations credited to folklore and the artist Whistler and cuckoo clocks were made in Germany's Black Forest) but it was a truly memorable film. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:50 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:I steadfastly refuse to watch remakes of The Wicker Man, the Italian Job, or any remakes of The Millennium Trilogy.

I don't often watch remakes - so this is probably a very small sample! But the best remake I have watched is the American version of House of Cards...
I haven't watched that.

How could they possibly do a remake of something that was pertinent to the UK many years earlier? I did very nearly start watching it, but the original series was there next to it, so I watched that again, instead...I think I'd have to put on my "never seen the original" blinkers, and suspend belief...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 pm

ive never seen Dad's Army :oops:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:

I haven't watched that.

How could they possibly do a remake of something that was pertinent to the UK many years earlier? I did very nearly start watching it, but the original series was there next to it, so I watched that again, instead...I think I'd have to put on my "never seen the original" blinkers, and suspend belief...
it works because they don't try to ape the original - to the extent that the famous catchphrase isn't there - and it also works because kevin spacey is very good in the lead role...

it's more of an "inspired by" effort, I guess than a straightforward remake...

to me it's a bit like musical cover versions - either do summat new/different with it - or don't bother... there is no point making a copy that sounds exactly like the original...