The Official Strictly Thread.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: The Official Strictly Thread.

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:23 pm

And there she goes.

Think Denise knows she isn't going to win, she hasn't got the public support. Will be between Kimberly and Louis.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:58 pm

Think you may well be right AG. Denise, 77 points out of 80 from the judges last night and in the dance off. Worked out right for the final, thankfully, but where will the Lisa vote go? It might just swing to the Dani girl? My money would be on Kimberly if I was daft enough to bet. No idea what the odds will be.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:12 pm

With William Hill, Kimberly is 9/4. Louis is 8/11. Dani is 6/1 and Denise 8/1.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Watched in at the gramps-in-laws on Saturday. It's not the sort of thing I'd choose to watch, but I quite enjoyed it, and infinitely better than x-factor. Don't no much about dancing, but kimberly and denise are clearly the best two to my eyes (as well they should, both being professional dancers and all!). Also, whilst by mortal standards she's obviously fit, I can't get excited by the, at best, third hottest member of Girls Aloud. Denise any (and preferably every) day of the week. Plus, how the feck do people like that preening gymnast prick. Denise is lovely.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:Watched in at the gramps-in-laws on Saturday. It's not the sort of thing I'd choose to watch, but I quite enjoyed it, and infinitely better than x-factor. Don't no much about dancing, but kimberly and denise are clearly the best two to my eyes (as well they should, both being professional dancers and all!). Also, whilst by mortal standards she's obviously fit, I can't get excited by the, at best, third hottest member of Girls Aloud. Denise any (and preferably every) day of the week. Plus, how the feck do people like that preening gymnast prick. Denise is lovely.
Neither Denise or Kimberly, despite the hype, are professional dancers. DVO is an actress, singer, TV presenter with a stage background (when she was thirteen-she's nearly forty) who did a bit of stage shuffling in Chicago etc, and Kim is just a singer who also does a bit of shuffling about on stage. Neither knew the first thing about ballroom dance before entering Strictly. All four deserve to be in the final. Kimberley to win for me, but with a public vote anything goes.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:51 pm

Corse they fecking are! Denise van outen has been in musicals in the west end and broadway. Recently. Girls Aloud aren't popular because of their wondeful vocal comopositions. They might not know much about ballroom but they dance for a living. The physical fitness, time keeping and agility mean they clearly start with an advantage. I'm not suggesting they start the whole thing with a bunch of Lisa Riley's, I'm just saying it is no surprise that the quickest to pick up on a type of dancing are the two who make their living from a different type of dancing. Or the gymnast, or the one who (he says making wild assumptions) went to stage school.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 am

Shuffling your hips around on stage in rehearsed steps in musicals has absolutely nothing to do with dancing with a partner Pru, nothing at all. Professional dancers bollox. Strictly isn't a dance show at all really till the end, and sometimes not even that, or they wouldn't put guys like Johnny Ball (Zoe's dad) who's seventy two, or fifty five year old, out of condition, housewife, Fern Britten, against an olympic gymnast or young fit women. They either adapt and learn, as Lisa Riley did, or out they go unless kept in by public popularity vote: John Sargent, Anne Widdicombe, Gavin Henson (who was hopeless), Nancy D'Ollio sp? Russell Grant, Kate Garraway, Chris Parker and too many other to mention did that. It's an entertainment show for three quarters of it and sometimes people like Chris Hollins (who was far from a great dancer but had personality) actually go on and win. It'll be the GBP vote that decides who wins the final, not the judges.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 am

Glad Lisa's gone. Some of the comments by the Judges on Saturday were terrible. One contestant was marked down for a misplaced thumb while she was aloud to galumph around with impunity.

Proper dAnce contest now. Should be Kimberley or Denise and I reckon it will be Kimberly.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Shuffling your hips around on stage in rehearsed steps in musicals has absolutely nothing to do with dancing with a partner Pru, nothing at all. Professional dancers bollox. Strictly isn't a dance show at all really till the end, and sometimes not even that, or they wouldn't put guys like Johnny Ball (Zoe's dad) who's seventy two, or fifty five year old, out of condition, housewife, Fern Britten, against an olympic gymnast or young fit women. They either adapt and learn, as Lisa Riley did, or out they go unless kept in by public popularity vote: John Sargent, Anne Widdicombe, Gavin Henson (who was hopeless), Nancy D'Ollio sp? Russell Grant, Kate Garraway, Chris Parker and too many other to mention did that. It's an entertainment show for three quarters of it and sometimes people like Chris Hollins (who was far from a great dancer but had personality) actually go on and win. It'll be the GBP vote that decides who wins the final, not the judges.
They both make their living from dancing! By what possible line of reasoning are they not professional dancers? Note I never suggested they were professional ballroom dancers. They both work in industries where timing, agility and a 'feel' for music are vital. Those that do (the dancers and the gymnasts) clearly start with an advantage over those who don't do any of that on a daily basis. I'm not saying it means they shouldn't win, I'm saying nothing other than it isn't surprising that they are the best dancers.

I completely agree about it being a popularity contest, though how that preening wazzock Louis has a bigger support base than the delectable Denise astounds and dismays me!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Prufrock wrote: I completely agree about it being a popularity contest, though how that preening wazzock Louis has a bigger support base than the delectable Denise astounds and dismays me!
Concentrating on this: He won a silver and bronze in the olympics. Instant hero who most of the nation wouldn't have known if he came to read their gas meters before that. Chucks in acrobatics that others can't possibly do, therefore, top dancer. Victoria Pendleton was the same, except she wasn't very good at dancing. James Jordan and his silly mumblings haven't helped Denise one iota, indeed she's probably lost some support because of him. Good dancer but better keeping schtum in interviews. The G.B.P vote will prevail whatever. At least the four left are where they should be, in the final.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Prufrock wrote: I completely agree about it being a popularity contest, though how that preening wazzock Louis has a bigger support base than the delectable Denise astounds and dismays me!
Concentrating on this: He won a gold medal in the olympics. Instant hero who most of the nation wouldn't have known if he came to read their gas meters before that. Chucks in acrobatics that others can't possibly do, therefore, top dancer. Victoria Pendleton was the same, except she wasn't very good at dancing. James Jordan and his silly mumblings haven't helped Denise one iota, indeed she's probably lost some support because of him. Good dancer but better keeping schtum in interviews. The G.B.P vote will prevail whatever. At least the four left are where they should be, in the final.
He didn't win a gold.

And surely he's only popular because women see him as 'well fit'?

I'm with you through TD with regard to it being unfair labelling KW or DVO as pro dancers. Anyone who is young and fit usually has an advantage over more elderly less fit contestants. Naturally.

However, you might as well say that cricketers have an advantage cos they're fit usually, young and used to using their feet and timing and stuff.......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:52 pm

I stand corrected. Silly error as I watched him all the way through. My bad. Edited. :oops:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Someone is going to have to point out either:

A)where I said it was 'unfair'; or,

B) when the word 'unsurprising' came to mean the same as 'unfair'.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:Someone is going to have to point out either:
A)where I said it was 'unfair'; or,
B) when the word 'unsurprising' came to mean the same as 'unfair'.
Listen Anton, BWFCi won Come Dancing in 1958 and arguing about dance is good for the digestion. Let's see pics of your paso-doble if you want to be taken seriously. :wink:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:21 pm

My money is on Dani (Or Tracey Beaker, or whatever she's called). She's come a long way despite a good start, whilst for me Kimberley is the most improved from week one. Neither Kimberley or Denise have the public support though. At 6/1 that's got to be worth a tenner.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Louis wins it........the Great British Public strike again.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Mrs H had Louis's number on redial :shock:
Hope is what keeps us going.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Mrs H had Louis's number on redial :shock:
I hope you're going to withhold the housekeeping from her... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Fantastic show. Sorry Kimberley didn't win but I'd have given them all a glitterball tonight. Always going to be the G.B.P who decided but fair do's. Sorry it's over as it's been probably the best series since it started for quality.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:Mrs H had Louis's number on redial :shock:
I hope you're going to withhold the housekeeping from her... :wink:
Absolutely. I'm going to invest it in a personal trainer, to help me develop the muscles necessary so I can do that "Dirty Dancing" lift with her. Why do women find that so sexy? :conf:
Hope is what keeps us going.