What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:09 am

watched Creed. completely predictable, cliched and saccharine. Apollo's bastard love child plucked from poverty put into a life of privilege only to decide he likes punching people too much so sacks it off and flies to Philly, finds Rocky who trains him into a boxer. Theres also the token love interest, the brief derailment before the big fight, and the moment of clarity in the ring! classic Rocky. sounds terrible, but thought it was great.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:34 am

jmjhb wrote:Kermode is a gobshite.
bit harsh??? :D

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:10 am

thebish wrote:
bit harsh??? :D
basic prerequisite for any journalist / broadcaster tbf.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 am

Kermode's alright. I set him off against Robbie Collins, if they both like something - I'm in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:34 am

See, I used to think that, but I've warmed to him, and now even value his opinion.
May the bridges I burn light your way

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I used to listen to him regularly, but having got sick of his weekly ranting, I found the vastly superior Filmspotting podcast and have never looked back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:09 pm

jmjhb wrote:I used to listen to him regularly, but having got sick of his weekly ranting, I found the vastly superior Filmspotting podcast and have never looked back.
Cheers, mate. I'll have a mooch for that. I suppose also, hearing Kermode's voice signifies that it's 15:30 on a Friday and I'm on my way home. I could warm to Vinnie Jones at that point (OK, maybe that's over-doing it a little ;) )
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jmjhb wrote:I used to listen to him regularly, but having got sick of his weekly ranting, I found the vastly superior Filmspotting podcast and have never looked back.
Cheers, mate. I'll have a mooch for that. I suppose also, hearing Kermode's voice signifies that it's 15:30 on a Friday and I'm on my way home. I could warm to Vinnie Jones at that point (OK, maybe that's over-doing it a little ;) )
I really enjoy Kermode and Mayo. Obviously don't always agree but it's entertaining and he knows his stuff.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:45 am

i listen to the podcast every week, but i have to fast forward the first ten minutes or so. i cannot abide those highly articulate sycophantic wanker emails they read out (likewise mayo's confessions on R2) calling them the good doctors, referring tho the church of wittertainee and spewing some bullshit about listening from a latrine in Mumbai or how they overcame certain death surgery thanks to a particular kermodian rant or they might be reviewing film in the top ten where they refer tho the film they're on about as a 'piece'. :spank:

they pissed me off a bit with their ignorant obliteration of the Entourage Movie too, neither having ever seen an episode of the tv series.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:05 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i listen to the podcast every week, but i have to fast forward the first ten minutes or so. i cannot abide those highly articulate sycophantic wanker emails they read out (likewise mayo's confessions on R2) calling them the good doctors, referring tho the church of wittertainee and spewing some bullshit about listening from a latrine in Mumbai or how they overcame certain death surgery thanks to a particular kermodian rant or they might be reviewing film in the top ten where they refer tho the film they're on about as a 'piece'. :spank:

they pissed me off a bit with their ignorant obliteration of the Entourage Movie too, neither having ever seen an episode of the tv series.
1) I really hate the letters/Mayo's confessions.
2) Do you need to see a TV show to critically appraise a movie? I watched Series 1 of Entourage and didn't really like it so gave the movie a miss. But it did sound pretty awful.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:43 pm

the movie wasnt great, it was just like an extended episode of the show. id have preferred them to have left it alone tbh... but what got me was how they complained about lack of character development and plot narrative; but fans of the show had 8 whole seasons of TV shows to get to know all the characters and know what the shows about. i can appreciate it might come across crass and misogynistic to someone who hadnt seen the show before, but then who is the movie aimed at? fans of the show. so to come down so hard on was unfair.

i never watched Sex in the City on tv, so i didnt bother with the movies. Kermode wss pretty vociferous in his hatred for that too...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:27 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:i listen to the podcast every week, but i have to fast forward the first ten minutes or so. i cannot abide those highly articulate sycophantic wanker emails they read out (likewise mayo's confessions on R2) calling them the good doctors, referring tho the church of wittertainee and spewing some bullshit about listening from a latrine in Mumbai or how they overcame certain death surgery thanks to a particular kermodian rant or they might be reviewing film in the top ten where they refer tho the film they're on about as a 'piece'. :spank:

aye - with you there... not to mention that tedious endlessly repeated wank about "say hello to Jason Isaacs" :hang:

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Star Wars, at five past midnight :D

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:18 pm

did anyone watch the new Luther?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:43 pm

thebish wrote:did anyone watch the new Luther?
My daughter. She told me at lunch time, I needed to watch it...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
might watch it later - enjoyed the first (two?) serieses... it'll be crap if mad alice isn't in it...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Ah, the old ones are the good ones. :mrgreen:
Just watched an old John Wayne "classic", Hondo Lane. That's when they knew how to make films. Great dialogue, "White man speak with forked tongue, uggh..." and all that real native American lingo from back when it was all cowboys and indians, bugles and "Circle the waggons". Even had an "Intermission " frame pop up while the dust settled. Great how they timed all those Apache savages riding off in a rainstorm just in time before the rain washed the boot polish off their arms and legs. They all rode bareback but you could see the stirrups hiding under the saddle blanket of Victorio, the great Apache chief. Yes, sir, they knew their stuff back then... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:40 am

thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
might watch it later - enjoyed the first (two?) serieses... it'll be crap if mad alice isn't in it...
I've not watched any of them, but apparently this is the best one yet. "Mint", allegedly.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:42 am

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
I've not watched any of them, but apparently this is the best one yet. "Mint", allegedly.
the missus says this is only a 2-parter...

anyway - watched it last night - and still up to scratch!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:43 am

DL'd to ipad for train home later!