What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:52 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
FD wrote:Think I might as well actually, purely because Grohl's music is more consistent whereas early Nivana (Bleach, Insesticide) had some great tracks mixed with some really ropey ones.
Incesticide is ropey in its very nature and shouldn't be compared alongside Bleach, Nervermind or In Utero because of it's varying recording sessions, musicians, engineers and producers.

Bleach, for what it is, is as good as the eponymous Foo Fighters debut. Low budget, low-fi, brilliant hard rock.
Don't think there's a lot between Bleach and the Foo's debut, but I think if I had to choose it'd be the Foo's on that case.

Colour and the Shape vs Nevermind? Shit thats a hard one too!!

In Utero vs Nothing left to lose? Another very hard one, but I think I'd go with In Utero because on balance that's about my favourite Nirvana album.

Grohl/Cobain aside I've been listening to the soundtrack from the film "Once" which (if you've not heard of it) is a kinda low budget Irish flick starring the musicians Glen Hansard (from The Frames) and Marketa Irglova. Never really heard much of the frames' material but the guy has a killer voice, he really does, quite beautiful when they sing together.

Falling Slowly is the most well known track from the CD, if you chuck that in youtube you'll come up with loads of versions I'm sure, but if you like melodic acoustic music as well as the rock stuff then it's worth a listen.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Club Latino (Latin dance mix) Vida Loca, Maria, Guaglione (the Guinness thing), Cherry Pink Mambo, etc etc.

Keep getting this crazy mental image of Batty and Ginge doing Mambo No 5 karaoke. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Bugger all I'm stuck in work!

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:30 pm

Blue Oyster Cult - Hot Rails to Hell :oyea:
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:59 pm

the long blondes new album. surprisingly good

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:58 pm

Nada Surf - Inside of Love at the moment.

Got Neil Young's Chrome Dreams II from last year, wonderful album, Ordinary People such an incredible song...

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:23 am

I fully intend playing Mario Kart Wii tonight. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:25 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Nirvana. They were quite good y'know.
Nevermind for me this morning on the way to work

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:40 am

CrazyHorse wrote:I fully intend playing Mario Kart Wii tonight. :D
Is he a Chinese violinist? :(

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:48 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:I fully intend playing Mario Kart Wii tonight. :D
Is he a Chinese violinist? :(

Not all Chinese people play the violin you know!!!!

I reckon he's an Indian Sitar player! :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm

Anybody know anything about a band called Glass Hammer? (Farewell to Shadowlands, Knights of the North etc). Hear a few scraps and they sound interesting.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:11 pm

Our kid brought a cd from 'Get Cape Wear Cape Fly'

not sure whether to stick it on, as the band name sounds pretentious

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:15 pm

Batman wrote:Our kid brought a cd from 'Get Cape Wear Cape Fly'

not sure whether to stick it on, as the band name sounds pretentious
more of a singer-songwriter than a band. i saw him in an art gallery in the northern quarter and if that's not pretentious i don't know what is

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:17 pm

just about to give the new kooks album a whirl. there's a whole host of second albums been coming out - we are scientists, razorlight's last year, jet, long blondes, boy kill boy, fratellis ain't far off... and on the whole they've been quite wank compared with the first uns. with a special mention to johnny burrell to turning a decent dirty debut album into wishy washy tosh with his second outing last year

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Well, the wife's off for ten days this morning. That'll give me a chance to listen to my music rather than peppering the evening with Presley, Richards (nee Webb) and Orbison.

I feel a bit of jazz, 'classics' and whatever-takes-my-fancy coming on (keep your comments clean, folks). Perhaps I might even have an evening dedicated to Lester Bowie - Ee, I in't arf excited. Seeing as I'll be doing all my own meals I hope that won't be exited.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:44 pm

Dujon wrote:Well, the wife's off for ten days this morning. That'll give me a chance to listen to my music rather than peppering the evening with Presley, Richards (nee Webb) and Orbison.

I feel a bit of jazz, 'classics' and whatever-takes-my-fancy coming on (keep your comments clean, folks). Perhaps I might even have an evening dedicated to Lester Bowie - Ee, I in't arf excited. Seeing as I'll be doing all my own meals I hope that won't be exited.
You allow him in your house? :shock:

Had to leave off before Dujon, I was watching a film. Now then..Cliff haw-haw-Richards should never be allowed in people's houses (his music) or what could very loosely be described as. He should be issued with a health warning. I'm sure he's a very nice person really but, the man has never been able to cut it as a singer, never, not ever. I was around when he first appeared with the likes of Marty Wilde and co, and his movement on stage was on a par with Muffin the Mule, maybe even not that good.. The Shadows kept him going for years and he just never improved. He was the fifties equivalent of Rick Astley but without the voice. How on earth he's made himself rich can only be explained by mothers, grandma's and, er, others. Like Father Christmas, he pops up every December, (one to bring joy to kids, the other to bring anguish to music lovers) to ruin the charts and bring groans of "Oh no, not again", from millions. You may gather I don't like him. I doubt if I'm alone in that.

Rant over. :wink:
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:30 am

Only his religious stuff, TANGO. :mrgreen:

No, to be honest, if we do happen to have one of his recordings it'd be on one of those compilation discs. The other two are serious. Anyway, old son, you know what marriage is for blokes - give, give, give, ta. . . , give?

Ooh, I just had a thought: I can fire up the VCR and put on Riverdance and feast my eyes on Jean Butler ('Gazelle' to me and a mate - Flatley's 'Handsome Harry' and the lass who does the Flamenco bit is 'Conchita'). Second childhood beckons.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:46 am

Dujon wrote:Only his religious stuff, TANGO. :mrgreen:

No, to be honest, if we do happen to have one of his recordings it'd be on one of those compilation discs. The other two are serious. Anyway, old son, you know what marriage is for blokes - give, give, give, ta. . . , give?

Ooh, I just had a thought: I can fire up the VCR and put on Riverdance and feast my eyes on Jean Butler ('Gazelle' to me and a mate - Flatley's 'Handsome Harry' and the lass who does the Flamenco bit is 'Conchita'). Second childhood beckons.
Now that's more like it. Jean Butler retired (unfortunately) and the Spanish Dancer was flamenco dancer Maria Pages (pronounced Pa-gez). Mind you, if you saw Riverdance now you'd probably be watching their kids. There were about eleven different versions touring the world at one time. Just love those Irish dancer legs. Got the video, plus "Lord of the Dance" "Feet of Flame" and "Gold", plus the music compilations. :mrgreen:

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:47 am

Recently-

Faith No More - Introduce Yourself
Vaious - Spawn Soundtrack
UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
Prodigy - Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

fatshaft
Passionate