The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:34 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:07 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:13 am
But I certainly do not want 5 more years of Tories snatching school meals from the mouths of kids.
Or awarding 50,000 more? Depends where you get your news from. I suppose the truth will lie somewhere in the middle.

Anyway - Boris has said he's 99.98% sure that Putin's behind the Salisbury situation, so on that say-so I for one am up for getting the tanks out. :D
Well, the DUP insisted the new means testing wasn't introduced into Northern Ireland - if they were to support the Tories on the issue. Which the Tories agreed to. Which rather suggests there will be a significant impact that the Tories are pretending there won't be. Otherwise why cut the NI deal at all, if as the Tories claim it's all rosy?
Let's deal with what you said bout the Tories "snatching school meals from the mouths of kids" shall we?

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... hool-meals
As I say, the Tory claims are rather dubious given the deal the DUP forced them to cut for NI. Suggesting to me that their projections aren't telling the whole story. If they were, why cut that deal in the first place?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:39 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
But I certainly do not want 5 more years of Tories snatching school meals from the mouths of kids.
Or awarding 50,000 more? Depends where you get your news from. I suppose the truth will lie somewhere in the middle.

Anyway - Boris has said he's 99.98% sure that Putin's behind the Salisbury situation, so on that say-so I for one am up for getting the tanks out. :D
Well, the DUP insisted the new means testing wasn't introduced into Northern Ireland - if they were to support the Tories on the issue. Which the Tories agreed to. Which rather suggests there will be a significant impact that the Tories are pretending there won't be. Otherwise why cut the NI deal at all, if as the Tories claim it's all rosy?
Let's deal with what you said bout the Tories "snatching school meals from the mouths of kids" shall we?

As I say, the Tory claims are rather dubious given the deal the DUP forced them to cut for NI. Suggesting to me that their projections aren't telling the whole story. If they were, why cut that deal in the first place?
Never mind avoiding the issue. You claimed that the Tories are ""snatching school meals from the mouths of kids". Do you wish you'd done a little research now before misguidedly simply giving the party line?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Never mind avoiding the issue. You claimed that the Tories are ""snatching school meals from the mouths of kids". Do you wish you'd done a little research now before misguidedly simply giving the party line?
No, because I'd read the Children's society report and indeed the factcheck from channel 4, funnily enough already.

It was a trite comment made to simply represent why I'd not vote for May and the Tory party. If means testing free school meals in primary schools is necessary, why do families in Northern Ireland get a pass? What possible rationale could there be for that....hmmmm? I wonder if it is simply to save May's incompetent skin? Surely not....oh...but.....

And Labour promise universal free school meals for primary aged children.

I know which I support. And whilst they may be "virtually snatching" meals based on two hypothetical future scenarios I really don't care.

It was simply a statement to reflect the penny pinching meanness that I will never, and couldn't ever support.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

No, because I'd read the Children's society report and indeed the factcheck from channel 4, funnily enough already.

It was a trite comment made to simply represent why I'd not vote for May and the Tory party. If means testing free school meals in primary schools is necessary, why do families in Northern Ireland get a pass? What possible rationale could there be for that....hmmmm? I wonder if it is simply to save May's incompetent skin? Surely not....oh...but.....

I know which I support. And whilst they may be "virtually snatching" meals based on two hypothetical future scenarios I really don't care.

It was simply a statement to reflect the penny pinching meanness that I will never, and couldn't ever support.
I remember Corbyns free university fees that were not actually that before the last election. ae:)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:12 pm
And Diane's calculations. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:35 pm

With the amount of people stealing a living as government experts and advisors on this, that and the other, it's a wonder the answer to every question isn't immediately available. Either that, or having somebody brave enough to stand up and admit they just don't know. We used to lead the world in organised ways of life and finance control; now our beloved leaders can't lead the dog for a walk and spend every day holding their hands out on new ways to make the working public pay for it all. We just got our bill for the latest council tax rises, an utter joke. Where I live, a land of semi-detached houses since the war ended, we are now surrounded by large houses with huge extensions and all the gardens disappearing in favour of parking spaces for x number of cars. The house across from us (what was a three bedroom semi with lovely gardens) is now fifteen feet nearer to us than when the "extension" started.. It'll be interesting to see what Band these will fall in?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Well I for one am shocked, shocked, at the latest accusations of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

It's time people stopped accurately quoting his words and actions in a bid to "shut down people talking about Israel" by using cartoons of hook nosed figures waving wads of dollars underneath the all-seeing eye.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm
Well I for one am shocked, shocked, at the latest accusations of anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

It's time people stopped accurately quoting his words and actions in a bid to "shut down people talking about Israel" by using cartoons of hook nosed figures waving wads of dollars underneath the all-seeing eye.
Sorry, too wishy-washy. What exactly are you saying?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 pm

...if you are stating that Corbyn, amongst the rest of the left-wing Hezbollah supporting so-called intelligentsia in this country are as shockingly anti-Semitic as the Nazi right-wing so-called intelligentsia in Germany in the twenties were, then yes, I get your drift.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:23 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Don't ask, you may offend his sensitivities being young and all that.

He might reply in a few days when he leaves his safe space or he is in one of BWFCi's indoctrination holiday camps/workshops learning how to chuck bricks and type abuse/raise lynch squads on social media. :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Sorry I just don't see it. For me it's the pro Israeli camp just trying to shut down any criticism of their state.

Like him or not Corbyn has spent his whole political career fighting against injustice. You might not think him effective but I fail to see how anyone can see him as anti semitic.

This manufactured row over the painting has emerged again years later. Headlines are 'Apologise- say Jewish groups' - Corbyn apologises 'Apologies won't wash with us - say Jewish groups'

The whole Rotherham/Rochdale scandals emerged as a result of professionals being too pc to criticise certain ethnic individuals as a result they may face accusations of racism.

The Israeli government must be loving this
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:45 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I think he might be referrin g to this Spots.....

https://forward.com/fast-forward/397401 ... s-is-anti/

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:39 pm
Sorry I just don't see it. For me it's the pro Israeli camp just trying to shut down any criticism of their state.

Like him or not Corbyn has spent his whole political career fighting against injustice. You might not think him effective but I fail to see how anyone can see him as anti semitic.

This manufactured row over the painting has emerged again years later. Headlines are 'Apologise- say Jewish groups' - Corbyn apologises 'Apologies won't wash with us - say Jewish groups'

The whole Rotherham/Rochdale scandals emerged as a result of professionals being too pc to criticise certain ethnic individuals as a result they may face accusations of racism.

The Israeli government must be loving this
Can I just ask a simple question: Why are you so anti-Israel?
In my opinion, albeit one stained by years of disgruntlement, I can easily, ridiculously easily, list any number of countries who are bigger cxnts than Israel. What, don't believe me - try Zimbabwe, Yemen, Chile, Argentina, Albania, China, North Korea, Spain, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Algeria, Guinea, Liberia, etc etc et fxcking cetera...
Is it because you think Jewish soldiers kill Palestinian children for shits and giggles (as the Bish once notoriously posted) for example? Or that Mossad harvest organs from captured Syrians?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Of course you can.

I think their treatment of the Palestinian people and the Palestinian cause is appalling.

You're right, there's lots of terrible, oppressive regimes. Many that I've campaigned against and raised funds against when I was more politically active. I don't believe Israel should be above criticism because of the states religion or the reasons for its founding
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 pm

You're all mad. It's nothing to do with Israel, it's a hook nosed guy waving dollars around with the Illuminati sign. There aren't any Palestinians a in the mural. Corbyn has apologised for it, agreed it's anti-semitic and there's loads of you lot on the internet going "yeah, but Israel".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 pm
You're all mad. It's nothing to do with Israel, it's a hook nosed guy waving dollars around with the Illuminati sign. There aren't any Palestinians a in the mural. Corbyn has apologised for it, agreed it's anti-semitic and there's loads of you lot on the internet going "yeah, but Israel".
Charming :D

The picture had nowt to do with Israel. It was, on close inspection, quite clearly anti semitic. It was a huge gaff by Corbyn (& whoever allowed it on public display in the first place) not to look at it in detail before he jumped to it''s defence.

Wasn't this all debated a couple of years ago though? He realised his error and apologised. The idea that this incident means anti semitism is rife in the Labour party is proper mad!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:07 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am
Prufrock wrote:

The picture had nowt to do with Israel. It was, on close inspection, quite clearly anti semitic. It was a huge gaff by Corbyn (& whoever allowed it on public display in the first place) not to look at it in detail before he jumped to it''s defence.

Wasn't this all debated a couple of years ago though? He realised his error and apologised. The idea that this incident means anti semitism is rife in the Labour party is proper mad!
Whilst I agree its ridiculous to suggest Corbyn (of all people) is a racist. His issue is having beliefs different to much of his parliamentary party and being unable to either state that difference or unwilling to show conviction when speaking out against the smaller group of people who might share his views - but also some unsavoury ones too.

Essentially he's trying to fudge all the time and its doing him a disservice and leaving him open to these accusations. Ultimately there is a fine line (perhaps a non existent one) between having genuine racist beliefs and not having them but failing to act when its clear others you have influence over do.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:52 am

The only common demominator that relates to guns, politics, religion, opinion and all else, is " people". Sort that bit out and the rest will be easy. When half-a-dozen people on a football forum can't agree on much, the magnitude of the world's problems in general begins to emerge. A change of leadership in our country/worldwide is obviosly needed. A suggested solution is:
A general election with Insaney, and H.G. to battle it out for P.M.
Hoboh appointed as head of M.I.5 and 6 and Secrtetary of Defence.
Spots designated as Foreign Minister, Minister of Art, Advisor to the Crown and Chief Consul to everybody.
Prufrock for Pope.

That should do it.... :wink:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:54 am

^ ^agreed on the fudging issue. I like JC but he's not a leader is he?

This is an odd time in Politics with the two main parties both distracted by infighting. The Tories will probably patch up their differences, they're used to squabbling over Europe, but the future for Labour looks pretty grim at the moment imo

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 am
Prufrock wrote:

It didn't require close inspection.

It was apparently raised in 2015 (I didn't see it covered) but he didn't respond let alone apologise.

This time he didn't apologise at first, only after his first attempt to bat it away didn't work.

Anti-Semitism IS rife in the Labour party. I've seen it with my own eyes. There are a number of Twitter threads that go through the publicly made statements of momentum councillors and members that are indefensible. People warned that Corbyn's election would be a beacon for the full on cranks to come back and it has proved to be the case.

There's an argument to be had about how far he can be held responsible for that but he as leader must be responsive and deal with this. He's failed miserably. I have Jewish friends who have left the Labour party because they don't think the leadership takes anti Semitism seriously. I'm embarrassed to be a party member at times like this, it's shameful.

If this were islamophobia or anti-black the left would bend over backwards to fight it but they lose their mind over Jews.