What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 pm

i don't dislike manics either, and for what it's worth i'm not an arctics fanatic. but i think it's unfair to say the current scene is forgettable. there will be forgotten bands throughout all eras and it's easy with a 40 year minimum backlog of classics to say "compare this with that"

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:33 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:i don't dislike manics either, and for what it's worth i'm not an arctics fanatic. but i think it's unfair to say the current scene is forgettable. there will be forgotten bands throughout all eras and it's easy with a 40 year minimum backlog of classics to say "compare this with that"
I guess like anyone else, I can only go from personal experience...and I cannot remember a SINGLE band in the last 3/4 years that have come out and I've said "Yep, I love them, they are the business".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 17, 2008 6:39 pm

Tell you what FD, switch targets to the Libertines and I'll gladly sign up for your crusade. I know what you're saying about the Arctics' sound but they're bloody tight. Whenever I hear a Libertines song I think it's a demo. "Might be alright when it's finished, that."

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:45 pm

DSB trust me on this, you REALLY don't want to get me started on the Libertines.

In fact, just avoid mentioning anything to do with that C*NT Doherty altogether.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 17, 2008 6:51 pm

I thought most of the 90's stuff was pretty dire too. Guess it's me age.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat May 17, 2008 6:52 pm

With reference to Manics vs Monkeys its easy to compare a band that has decades of music behind them with one who has a small catalogue.

Motorcycle emptiness, La Tristesse etc are great, but off a couple of albums the Monkeys have produced some real crackers - love the line "You used to get it in yer fishnets, now you only get it in yer nightdress..".

Give them the best part of 15 years and then decide whether they belong in exalted company. :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:53 pm

You seriously like that lyric Kangana?

Nothing on this earth (or beyond) could make me like the monkeys I'm afraid. Lyrics aside, musically they sum up almost everything I dislike about music nowadays.

In 20 years there's been two manics album tracks I've disliked.

For the record they are the awful stars and stripe remix of Repeat (from Generation Terrorists) and Dead Martyrs (from Know Your Enemy).

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 pm

FD wrote:You seriously like that lyric Kangana?

Nothing on this earth (or beyond) could make me like the monkeys I'm afraid. Lyrics aside, musically they sum up almost everything I dislike about music nowadays.
its a song that hits the nail on the head for a great deal of blokes, who hit a point and realise their best shag is possibly behind them and they've gone on to more comfortable stages of relationships. and on that basis it's genius, probably my favourite AM song. hopefully my best shag isn't behind me, god's sake i'm only 25

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Well I'll never be able to empathise with that mate, I'm 26 and have two kids. I KNOW my best shag is long behind me.

I don't really have a problem with it though, so I guess I don't get it.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat May 17, 2008 7:05 pm

I remeber not long ago reading up on MGMT and reading posts off people pontificating about the meaning of their lyrics, (I'm not having a go BTW HRG :wink: ).

Someone finally posted "WTF does it matter, do you like the song?". I think the Monkeys are quite clever lyrically, but frankly I like some of their tunes just because. Are they the Manics yet? No, but I always felt the Manics were a bit full er shite anyway (despite the good quality music).

And to judge whether your musical taste is anywhere near mine, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE

I think this is one of the best songs in years! (If you disagree, I'll shoot you! :mrgreen: )

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 7:09 pm

I'm intriuged enough to go google their name...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Anyways, to answer the thread topic, it's a Saturday night ritual: Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show on 6 Music. Now it's a party.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Had a quick listen to some "The Living End" on the ol' iPod...awesome awesome band.

DSB, Craig Charles from Red Dwarf? Would have thought that was more Danny John-Jules' cup of tea!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Even he, aye. Not a bad self-effacing presenter, as it goes - keen without being overbearing. Obviously loves the music and brings a happy, er, vibe.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 17, 2008 8:15 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I remeber not long ago reading up on MGMT and reading posts off people pontificating about the meaning of their lyrics, (I'm not having a go BTW HRG :wink: ).

Someone finally posted "WTF does it matter, do you like the song?". I think the Monkeys are quite clever lyrically, but frankly I like some of their tunes just because. Are they the Manics yet? No, but I always felt the Manics were a bit full er shite anyway (despite the good quality music).

And to judge whether your musical taste is anywhere near mine, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVnRzEjpUmE

I think this is one of the best songs in years! (If you disagree, I'll shoot you! :mrgreen: )
ah yes, the end of any musical debate is this comment :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 17, 2008 9:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:There's a lot of crap about today, aye. But then, the Manic Street Preachers started out as irksome posturing sloganeers, so maybe the youngsters will surprise us. I doubt it, but without having doubt it wouldn't qualify as a surprise! :mrgreen:
Let us not forget though, that as with most Manic's albums, Generation Terrorists is half absolute genius and half utter barely listenable rubbish.
May the bridges I burn light your way

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat May 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Gone through Stereophonics "Performance and Cocktails" tonight, the last good album they made. Shame as they had great potential and I felt those first two albums were superb.

Now on The Hold Steady "Stuck between Stations"...radio friendly pub rock. Harmless stuff.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 17, 2008 9:50 pm

Anyone stuck for a ticket for Charlatans at the Academy next Saturday? I know of a spare.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:27 pm

Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat May 17, 2008 10:29 pm

bobby5 wrote:Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien
With "Twiddly bits" as Frank Zappa once credited him with on an album. :wink: