La Musique

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 18, 2008 7:00 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:There is no way the Ramones were more influential than the Beatles.
in one single night at the roundhouse in 77 (i think ) they sparked the formation of the clash, the sex pistols and the damned, one night! they gave birth to the punk scene and all the deviants from it. Perhaps not so much in this country, but the the entire basis of american alternative music comes through the ramones.
to say the beatles have no influence would be ridiculous, but the ramones had a huge direct influence on so so many bands. in terms of musical culture i would not say there is very much between them. obviously for each band i have named that the ramones have influenced you could name one the beatles have influenced, but any downstroke based song you hear is directly influenced by the ramones
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 18, 2008 7:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:There is no way the Ramones were more influential than the Beatles.
they gave birth to the punk scene and all the deviants from it.
Correct, but then there's a school that'll tell you that The Ramones took their lead from The Kinks early stuff.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 18, 2008 7:53 pm

To expand Capslock's rather blunt statememnt:

I started the "What are you playing/listening to, tonight" thread almost two years ago. Twas just a spur of the moment whim one night and is still going strong. With over 130,000 hits and a lot of replies it proves beyond a doubt that music forms a great part of most lives. The type of music is strictly up to the individual and likewise the opinion of its worth. We are all different in our tastes. If we weren't, classical music, jazz, country, soul, blues, latin, big-band, swing etc, etc, wouldn't still be around in the millennium. Personally, I've learned quite a bit about more modern bands just be reading other people's views in the thread.

I've seen a lot of eras of music, was around when rock and roll swept into this country like a tidal wave. It was a culmination of many things and spawned many more. The "roll" part tapered away in favour of rock and basically four bands spread the rock gospel that has gone on since: The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks and The Beatles were the bands but there was noticable differences in stryles between them even then. The Stones stayed out brash rock, The Beatles took on a softer poppy image, The inimitable Kinks were the Kinks and The Who led the way for the in your face "Fxxk you"music the gave birth to so many followers and evolving styles..

You don't need me to tell you the history of music, popular or otherwise, look it up for yourself: but it's pointless expecting everyone to agree on everything claimed about any one discipline, group or individual. We all get pleasure in our own different ways and should never need to appologise for that. I wonder just how many of today's bands will be around in ten years, or whether you will still follow them. Will your tastes in music stay faithful to what it is today or will you follow a completely different path?

Safest way is to be firm about what you like but don't knock other's tastes. Ten years from now you may suddenly decide
that Bach was a genius after all. Music, like love, is where you find it: wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 18, 2008 8:27 pm

Once more, Tango speaks with the wisdom most can only begin to imagine. Mind, nowt wrong with discussing it, TD... :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Once more, Tango speaks with the wisdom most can only begin to imagine. Mind, nowt wrong with discussing it, TD... :wink:
Nothing whatsoever,DSB. What use would forums be without a little discussion, disagreement and even aggro. :mrgreen:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 18, 2008 8:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Once more, Tango speaks with the wisdom most can only begin to imagine. Mind, nowt wrong with discussing it, TD... :wink:
Nothing whatsoever,DSB. What use would forums be without a little discussion, disagreement and even aggro. :mrgreen:
Bollocks ya fanny! :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bollocks ya fanny! :mrgreen:
:lol:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun May 18, 2008 9:55 pm

I hate Punk. I hate the Ramones for being Punk's biggest influence.
The greatest artist (musical or other) of the 20th century was Miles Davis, in my opinion.
What you know as 'Emo' isn't really 'Emo' music.
Black Sabbath were the most influential 'heavy' band, for my money.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:I hate Punk. I hate the Ramones for being Punk's biggest influence.
The greatest artist (musical or other) of the 20th century was Miles Davis, in my opinion.
Have you ever heard of a bloke called Marc Bolam? The guy was that far ahead of his time that he perished on Barnes Common before his time got realised.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 18, 2008 10:50 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:I hate Punk. I hate the Ramones for being Punk's biggest influence.
Have you ever heard of a bloke called Marc Bolam? The guy was that far ahead of his time that he perished on Barnes Common before his time got realised.
Ah, yes. T Rex. I remember them well. Clothes and make up were weird but the music was fine.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun May 18, 2008 10:58 pm

Yeah, I'm not keen on glam rock.
More of a classic man, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Zep, Sabbath, Free, Mountain.
Then there's the proggy stuff, Crimson, Genesis (Gabriel era), Focus, Camel, Floyd, PFM.
Also big into grunge - Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Failure, Pearl Jam.

For me, the 80s, Level 42 apart, is the worst decade in musical history.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:For me, the 80s, Level 42 apart, is the worst decade in musical history.
And on what have you based your opinion? The stuff that got in the charts? I'd have to say here, Hotdog, that you haven't a fecking clue what you're on about.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun May 18, 2008 11:08 pm

Stuff I've heard from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 90s & 00s.

Obviously there are some choice cuts and marvellous musicians, but on the whole it's output is not at all my cup of tea. A lot of it is down to the sound and production of it!
Simple Minds were good, and stuff like Nirvana, the Pixies, the Flaming Lips and the Melvins started out in the 80s - but they all got a damn sight better in the 90s.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Sun May 18, 2008 11:18 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Stuff I've heard from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 90s & 00s.

Obviously there are some choice cuts and marvellous musicians, but on the whole it's output is not at all my cup of tea. A lot of it is down to the sound and production of it!
Simple Minds were good, and stuff like Nirvana, the Pixies, the Flaming Lips and the Melvins started out in the 80s - but they all got a damn sight better in the 90s.
Eh? I know this is all about opinions and that, but are you really saying that Trompe Le Monde and Bossanova were better albums than Doolittle and Surfer Rosa? Really? Pah!
You've also missed out The Smiths, The Fall, The Wedding Present, My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses, Charlatans, James, Inspiral Carpets (woo - Madchester...), Cud And so on...
The 80s - not that bad, really.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun May 18, 2008 11:46 pm

Puskas wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:Stuff I've heard from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 90s & 00s.

Eh? I know this is all about opinions and that, but are you really saying that Trompe Le Monde and Bossanova were better albums than Doolittle and Surfer Rosa? Really? Pah!
You've also missed out The Smiths, The Fall, The Wedding Present, My Bloody Valentine, Stone Roses, Charlatans, James, Inspiral Carpets (woo - Madchester...), Cud And so on...
The 80s - not that bad, really.
Gosh dang it, I thought Come on Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa was the only 80s Pixies LP.

That stuff I missed out, all pap. The Smiths and the Stone Roses especially. MBV I can take or leave, most of the time I leave it.

The whole 'Madchester' thing is a large embarrassment.

Thankfully I'm from a different time.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Marc Bolan would be 61 this September, if he had lived. Bloody frightening really. (Old git decides he really should slow down - a bit!)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 19, 2008 12:13 am

Aye, he died 31 years ago. Doesn't seem like five minutes. Gee, I can just imagine you in big silver platforms Zulu. :mrgreen:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon May 19, 2008 7:11 am

Never wore 'em, TD. :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 19, 2008 8:33 am

Interesting thoughts, I'm not sure I'd have Sabbath as anywhere near the "most influential" - I like Sabs btw.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Never wore 'em, TD. :D
Twas but a joke Z. How anybody walked in those things is a miracle. :mrgreen: