Ryanair's Latest Surcharge

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:15 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:How you can shoe-horn Orwell into this is anyone's guess. If a private company did decide it wanted to charge passengers on its aircraft by the kilo, it should be entitled to, and the market would dole our the appropriate reward or punishment. Nothing to do with government.
I was being slightly flippant, hence my comment on the smoking ban that has already happened mate though I'm not sure how you can compare people wearing seatbelts to the smoking ban either? If you don't wear a seatbelt you are endangering YOUR life, nobody elses. Smoking has a danger from second hand smoke, hence why people used to get so upset about smoking in restaurants etc.

That said, I strongly disagree with your opinion on private companies being entitled to charge passengers based on their weight. Though I'd love to see all the parents blaming the airlines for their childrens anorexia, all because they wanted a cheaper flight.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:53 pm

You get surcharged on excess weight baggage by most airlines, don't you?

Of course Ryanair are in their rights as a private company to introduce a 'fat passenger' surcharge, but from a PR point of view people will just laugh or, given that company's reputation, dismiss it as, ahem, another greedy move on their part.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Fair do's, I just think it's wrong.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Maybe we can in turn tax Ryanair by the mile from where they claim there destination to be, to where it actually is. Frankfurt Hahn? Hahn's nearer to fecking Luxembourg than it is to Frankfurt. Oslo Torp? That'll be a two hour drive then. The list goes on.
May the bridges I burn light your way

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Maybe we can in turn tax Ryanair by the mile from where they claim there destination to be, to where it actually is. Frankfurt Hahn? Hahn's nearer to fecking Luxembourg than it is to Frankfurt. Oslo Torp? That'll be a two hour drive then. The list goes on.
I'll throw Dusseldorf Weeze into the mix... amazing!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:19 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Maybe we can in turn tax Ryanair by the mile from where they claim there destination to be, to where it actually is. Frankfurt Hahn? Hahn's nearer to fecking Luxembourg than it is to Frankfurt. Oslo Torp? That'll be a two hour drive then. The list goes on.
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
London Luton
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:40 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
London Luton
Ryanair don't fly into or out of Heathrow, the only one close to London.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
London Luton
London City Airport?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Verbal wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
London Luton
London City Airport?
Of the ones mentioned.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 pm

ah reet.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:19 am

FD wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:How you can shoe-horn Orwell into this is anyone's guess. If a private company did decide it wanted to charge passengers on its aircraft by the kilo, it should be entitled to, and the market would dole our the appropriate reward or punishment. Nothing to do with government.
I was being slightly flippant, hence my comment on the smoking ban that has already happened mate though I'm not sure how you can compare people wearing seatbelts to the smoking ban either? If you don't wear a seatbelt you are endangering YOUR life, nobody elses. Smoking has a danger from second hand smoke, hence why people used to get so upset about smoking in restaurants etc.

That said, I strongly disagree with your opinion on private companies being entitled to charge passengers based on their weight. Though I'd love to see all the parents blaming the airlines for their childrens anorexia, all because they wanted a cheaper flight.
Julie disagrees with this.

For those who do not get this comment see this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEa8j98e ... re=related

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:14 am

As well as distance travelled, let's have a go at Ryanair for advertsing 1p flights which actually cost over £100 once all the various charges have been included.

BMI Baby are also pretty poor... they advertised cheap flights in a sale last month, and it looked like I'd got me and the wife to Barcelona for £86... until I discovered on the very last page of the internet booking form, without warning, a credit card booking surcharge of £20.00.

I'd sooner sit on a ferry waiting to get into a blockaded French port than hand my money over to those cheating idiotholes.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:33 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
London Luton
I was segueing slightly into the distance from London the London airports are. Carry on.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"