iPhone Apps

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:20 pm

as wrote:i-phones are gayer than gay.

A f**king app to help you split the bill at a restaurant :roll:
Yeah, who'd want something that was useful when there are so many helpful c*nts in the world? :)

As for reccomended apps..good lord where to start?

Games I'd highly reccommend:

Words with Friends is Scrabble but the turn-based action takes place over the internet, it's free with ads or you can pay to remove, but this is THE app I use all the time.

Plants vs Zombies is the best game I've ever had on the iPhone, almost an exact port of the PC version but cheaper and FULL of greatness.

Peggle : Simply great, youtube it and you'll see how great it is on a handheld device.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene : A classic reinvented, a must buy.

Moxie : Simple word game, has a "lite" version so you can try it.

DoodleJump : Great game to play if you have a few minutes.

Colorbind : Cracking puzzle game, gets fiendishly tricky later on, has a lite version.

Angry Birds : Get this, NOW.

Canabalt : A little pricey but really is addictive trying to better your score.

Labyrinth 2 : Youtube it, but a superb use of the gyro features in the iPhone.

N.O.V.A : Halo for the iPhone, such a blatent ripoff but you'll be amazed you are playing it on a phone.

Paper Toss : Cheap and cheerful but fun now and again, free I think.

Geared : Another fun puzzle game!

Hoggy : Platformer/puzzler, motion based, fun!

Real Racing : A driving game, you will be stunned at how good this looks, has a wealth of control options so you can find the right one.

Quizarium : A text based online puzzle game, compete with other random users in general knowledge quizzes, or do as I do and just answer questions with abusive remarks and slanderous comments about ex-presidents.

Solitaire : Solitaire, and free.

The Impossible Quiz : A logic based game, feel foolish when you work them out...finally!

Auditorium : Hard to describe, you control a wave of "energy and sound", make it connect all the circles and each one introduces a new section of an orchestral arrangement, really pretty and such calming gameplay.

BirdStrike : A bit like doodlejump but more in depth, fly your bird up then crash him down!

Non game apps:

Tweetdeck : For all your twitter needs.
Sky+ : To remotely record things if you forget.
eBuddy : Puts all your IM programs into one handy app.
Openfeint : Like Xbox live for the iPhone, get the standalone app and check it daily for a free openfeint enabled game, found some real gems by using this daily!
Flickr : For all your Flickr needs
Yelp : If you have a 3GS it can show you via the camera any business near you, a brilliantly useful app.
Ping! : An ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE, text and picture messaging app but it sends it via the net, meaning you can text any other iPhone user for FREE via data, or if on wi-fi, via that.

Finally, I'd reccomend "TVCatchup" (iphone.tvcatchup.com) as registering there lets you watch a load of UK freeview channels on your iphone, using 3G or wifi![/u]

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:06 am

thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Nobody specifically asked you to post in the thread... If it doesn't interest you, then don't bother.
he posted it on his i-phone through his reply-to-TW-threads app....

(as did I this one....)
:lol: Very good, I should have got you to do junior's christening on Sunday, for comedy value :wink:

I hate phones. Hate them. All that talking and texting, I mean, is there any need to ring someone up every 5 minutes coz you're bored?

The endless choice, the pointless applications, a recent advert might as well have announced 'buy this phone, if you're too stupid to work out anything, no matter how trivial, yourself, and for the bargain cost of £400'. Blokes comparing phones, and showing an actual interest in these annoying objects that were obviously designed for women, no real man rings people up 'for a chat' anyway.

Wow - it takes pictures - or you could just buy a f***ing camera, the pictures would be of better quality and you don't have to worry about your stupid battery running out daily.

Wow - it's got the internet - don't you spend enough time surfing the web as it is, poindexter?

Not forgetting being text by someone under the age of 16, it might as well be writted in Finnish, my little sister text me and I spent 30 minutes de-coding the f****ing thing.

Rant over
Troll and proud of it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am

as wrote:
thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Nobody specifically asked you to post in the thread... If it doesn't interest you, then don't bother.

(as did I this one....)
:lol: Very good, I should have got you to do junior's christening on Sunday, for comedy value :wink:

I hate phones. Hate them. All that talking and texting, I mean, is there any need to ring someone up every 5 minutes coz you're bored?

The endless choice, the pointless applications, a recent advert might as well have announced 'buy this phone, if you're too stupid to work out anything, no matter how trivial, yourself, and for the bargain cost of £400'. Blokes comparing phones, and showing an actual interest in these annoying objects that were obviously designed for women, no real man rings people up 'for a chat' anyway.

Wow - it takes pictures - or you could just buy a f***ing camera, the pictures would be of better quality and you don't have to worry about your stupid battery running out daily.

Wow - it's got the internet - don't you spend enough time surfing the web as it is, poindexter?

Not forgetting being text by someone under the age of 16, it might as well be writted in Finnish, my little sister text me and I spent 30 minutes de-coding the f****ing thing.

Rant over
Philistine. These things are free to those that can afford them - yet are very expensive to those that can't. Dwell on that as you wait upon the pigeon/Towm Crier etc. I doubt anybody rings you anyway. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:54 am

Bruce Rioja wrote: Philistine. These things are free to those that can afford them - yet are very expensive to those that can't. Dwell on that as you wait upon the pigeon/Towm Crier etc. I doubt anybody rings you anyway. :wink:
Had any delightful weekends in the country recently, Bruce?
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 am

Puskas wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: Philistine. These things are free to those that can afford them - yet are very expensive to those that can't. Dwell on that as you wait upon the pigeon/Towm Crier etc. I doubt anybody rings you anyway. :wink:
Had any delightful weekends in the country recently, Bruce?
:D

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
as wrote:
thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

(as did I this one....)

Rant over
Philistine. These things are free to those that can afford them - yet are very expensive to those that can't. Dwell on that as you wait upon the pigeon/Towm Crier etc. I doubt anybody rings you anyway. :wink:
I'm much sooner spend my money on drinking and chasing women, hope you enjoy measuring your nob with your i-phone on a weekend :P
Troll and proud of it.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 pm

as wrote:
I'm much sooner spend my money on drinking and chasing women, hope you enjoy measuring your nob with your i-phone on a weekend :P

and setting up facebook campaigns it seems! :wink:

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:19 pm

thebish wrote:
as wrote:

and setting up facebook campaigns it seems! :wink:
Good heavens, you're quick!

I meant someone else, obviously, I got rid of FB since reading the endless 'I am having a cup of tea' updates :wink:
Troll and proud of it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

as wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
as wrote:
thebish wrote:
boltonboris wrote: Nobody specifically asked you to post in the thread... If it doesn't interest you, then don't bother.

(as did I this one....)

Rant over
Which part of 'free' are you having the difficulty with? :conf:

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
as wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
as wrote:
thebish wrote: he posted it on his i-phone through his reply-to-TW-threads app....

(as did I this one....)

Rant over
Which part of 'free' are you having the difficulty with? :conf:
A contract phone isn't free, you're required to pay a certain amount a month, and they add money onto your bill no matter what you do.

Trust me, my trusty old K800i is nearly 5 years old now, that was my only contract phone
Troll and proud of it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:14 pm

as wrote: A contract phone isn't free, you're required to pay a certain amount a month, and they add money onto your bill no matter what you do.

Trust me, my trusty old K800i is nearly 5 years old now, that was my only contract phone
If, as I suspect, Bruce's phone is company issued, ( I'll stand correction) then you're wrong AS. We got all our phone's free and could ask for new or replacement ones at any time....free. The providers make their money on phone calls which, on company busines, is not an inconsiderable amount.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

FYI, Lonely Planet has a number of cuty guides temporarily free (normally quite pricey).

http://intransit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... lanet-app/

markakamark
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by markakamark » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Gibson (guitar manufacturer) have a free app which is pretty handy for a guitarist. Has a built in tuner, scales, chords, arpeggios etc.

Other than this, there's an app called Guitarist which is similar but costs £££. There is however Guitarist Lite, which is free. I have both and can't really tell the difference!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm

markakamark wrote: There is however Guitarist Lite, which is free. I have both and can't really tell the difference!
I've got that. I've also got a freebie that's called simply 'Guitar Chords'. Just the job for those pesky 7sus4's etc. :?

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm

I thought the Gibson app was shite, especially the tuner. I use one simply called "Guitar Tuner" which has a few alternate tunings.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:04 pm

'i-phone, i-pod, i-mac, i-pad, i-m a fecking idiot' is always my defence when im asked why i dont have an i-phone yet!

i do want one tho, but dont tell anyone...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I have an i-touch. I can't phone anyone or take a picture. It's great.

iTranslate is cool. Like Babelfish.

Also Surgeonxmas.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:If, as I suspect, Bruce's phone is company issued, ( I'll stand correction) then you're wrong AS. We got all our phone's free and could ask for new or replacement ones at any time....free. The providers make their money on phone calls which, on company busines, is not an inconsiderable amount.
Tis true, Tango. To be honest they almost throw these things at us. The big earner, it would seem, is when we open attachments whilst abroad.

To be honest I massively under-use mine. My car even has a gismo so that I can play what's on the iPod through the car stereo but I've never got round to buying the relevant wire.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:If, as I suspect, Bruce's phone is company issued, ( I'll stand correction) then you're wrong AS. We got all our phone's free and could ask for new or replacement ones at any time....free. The providers make their money on phone calls which, on company busines, is not an inconsiderable amount.
Tis true, Tango. To be honest they almost throw these things at us. The big earner, it would seem, is when we open attachments whilst abroad.

To be honest I massively under-use mine. My car even has a gismo so that I can play what's on the iPod through the car stereo but I've never got round to buying the relevant wire.
Understood. I was given my phone on leaving, as they have a drawer full of spares (every new starter got a new one). My contract ended on 31st Jan officially, but despite ringing my old company several times I haven't paid for a call since then.(No big deal as Dick Barton probably used a phone more than I do). I've never abused the privelege and am still waiting for them to terminate it. On " pay as you go" a tenner will probably last me twelve months.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:33 pm

I am pay as you go and when I want to speak to someone, I just fish them.

£10.00 lasts me a long time that way as well. :D