Ale

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Sponge
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Ale

Post by Sponge » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:56 pm

William the White wrote:Nice long weekend in London. Staying near Oxford Circus. Loved it. Not least because of the huge number of old, street corner pubs that were pubs, selling proper beer (albeit at just under £4 a pint, the robbin bastards!)...

But some v gd stuff... Faves included Fullers London Pride, Abbott and Doom Bar... Nice...

Though glad now to be back in a place of comparative sanity, where it's possible to buy a round without risking bankruptcy... We were unusual customers in the West End - we paid with money! Everyone else with plastic...

If you're in that area again, you should head down to The Angel near Centrepoint (that hideous tower at the junction of Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, and Charing Cross Road). It's a nice old-fashioned Sam Smith's boozer, and a pint costs something like £2.40. And as a bonus, it's just around the corner from Foyles.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:21 am

Sponge wrote:
William the White wrote:Nice long weekend in London. Staying near Oxford Circus. Loved it. Not least because of the huge number of old, street corner pubs that were pubs, selling proper beer (albeit at just under £4 a pint, the robbin bastards!)...

But some v gd stuff... Faves included Fullers London Pride, Abbott and Doom Bar... Nice...

Though glad now to be back in a place of comparative sanity, where it's possible to buy a round without risking bankruptcy... We were unusual customers in the West End - we paid with money! Everyone else with plastic...

If you're in that area again, you should head down to The Angel near Centrepoint (that hideous tower at the junction of Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road, and Charing Cross Road). It's a nice old-fashioned Sam Smith's boozer, and a pint costs something like £2.40. And as a bonus, it's just around the corner from Foyles.
I'm off down that there London next weekish. I don't like Sam Smith's, but I like the idea of mixing Foyles and beer - are there any other good recommended pubs within spitting distance?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 am

Cambridge Circus is a stone's throw away and there are some decent boozers there.

Don't go to Borderline. Though I have no idea why you would.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 am

mrkint wrote:Cambridge Circus is a stone's throw away and there are some decent boozers there.

Don't go to Borderline. Though I have no idea why you would.
OK.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 am

Tbf LLS where Foyle's is there are a number of pubs knocking around - it's in the heart of theatreland, next to centre point and to be honest no matter which direction you'll turn I don't doubt you'll find a place for a decent sup.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 am

mrkint wrote:Tbf LLS where Foyle's is there are a number of pubs knocking around - it's in the heart of theatreland, next to centre point and to be honest no matter which direction you'll turn I don't doubt you'll find a place for a decent sup.
When I lived in London and took the occassional foray into the heartlands I found it surprisingly difficult to find good boozers. There was one on the corner of Covent Garden, there was one overlooking the river with a balcony sbove the Thames, and there was the Lamb and Flag (which I've forgotten where exactly it was) and a cracking pub that did live bands (that I've not only forgotten where it was but also forgotten its name!) and they were about the only decent pubs I could find. There were more in the ethnic (Irish, Aussie, Hippy) areas like Camden and Kilburn, but surprisingly few in the centre. But that was in the bad old days of the big 6 breweries and formica topped tables.
Anyway, I'll go with the flow and have a wander when I'm down there.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:57 am

The Lamb and Flag's in Covent Garden! Not surprised you've forgotten exactly where it was as it is a ballache to find. Down some back alley.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:01 am

mrkint wrote:The Lamb and Flag's in Covent Garden! Not surprised you've forgotten exactly where it was as it is a ballache to find. Down some back alley.
Ah that's the one. I used to oscillate between the one on the corner (which I was sad to see had been demolished last time I was down there) and the Lamb & flag in the back alleyways. A cracking pub that was, spit & sawdust & Elizabethan ship panels & superb ale & a most gruesome selection of London 'characters'.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 am

There's a decent pub near there now called the Porterhouse - dunno if you know it? It's absolutely massive BUT they have a good selection of ales and it's usually a damn good do. It's an irish pub but not irish themed if you know what i mean. Either way would recommend that.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 am

mrkint wrote:There's a decent pub near there now called the Porterhouse - dunno if you know it? It's absolutely massive BUT they have a good selection of ales and it's usually a damn good do. It's an irish pub but not irish themed if you know what i mean. Either way would recommend that.
I'll give it a try, cheers.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

I thought that I'd mention this as it seems there may be people who are interested.

There's an app available on Android and iPhone that lets you track your beer and also gives you recommendations. It's a bit like foursquare but with beer, you basically check your beer in, you can add a rating, add a photo, add a location. You can even share that to Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare.

I'm in to all of that stuff so it's great, I like to see what others are drinking and if they give it a good rating I'll bang it on my wishlist and keep an eye out for it.

It's also get a website that allows you to do the same: http://untappd.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to add me: https://untappd.com/user/keveh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Just had some Wentworth Oyster Stout. Lovely!

Earlier had Holden's Golden Glow. It's so good it shouldn't be allowed for the drinking masses, but reserved for true believers. The pope doesn't drink it.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
mrkint wrote:Tbf LLS where Foyle's is there are a number of pubs knocking around - it's in the heart of theatreland, next to centre point and to be honest no matter which direction you'll turn I don't doubt you'll find a place for a decent sup.
When I lived in London and took the occassional foray into the heartlands I found it surprisingly difficult to find good boozers. There was one on the corner of Covent Garden, there was one overlooking the river with a balcony sbove the Thames, and there was the Lamb and Flag (which I've forgotten where exactly it was) and a cracking pub that did live bands (that I've not only forgotten where it was but also forgotten its name!) and they were about the only decent pubs I could find. There were more in the ethnic (Irish, Aussie, Hippy) areas like Camden and Kilburn, but surprisingly few in the centre. But that was in the bad old days of the big 6 breweries and formica topped tables.

AHEM!!!!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 4429,d.ZG4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

AHEM!!!!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 4429,d.ZG4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:
Is that a hint as to where to find good pubs?

Cheers. :pissed: :drink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:15 pm

There are no good pubs down south ;)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:20 am

Out on the piss near Sheffield over the weekend and collected a couple of pump clips... very appropriate for certain members of this forum.

That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 am

Went to Shoreditch in the week because I'm such a trendy bastard. Anyway, mate was down and fancied a few scoops. Ended up in this place

http://www.brewdog.com/bars/shoreditch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had some of that Dead Pony Club, seeing as it seemed to be the only thing of a sensible alcohol content.

Were shite.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 am

Had some Blackhouse Smoked Porter at the weekend - very nice.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm

Anyone tried Newcastle Summer Ale? Picked it up initially thinking that it was Newky Brown in a smaller 355ml bottle. It was only when I came to open it that I realised that it was in fact the aforementioned summer ale. Much lighter than the brown ale, as the name might suggest and a nice refreshing drink it is too. Got it from Home Bargains for a very reasonable 59p per bottle, then saw it in Tesco for £1.89 per bottle. WTF? :? Will be supping a few of these this evening, on a school night too!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Anyone tried Newcastle Summer Ale? Picked it up initially thinking that it was Newky Brown in a smaller 355ml bottle. It was only when I came to open it that I realised that it was in fact the aforementioned summer ale. Much lighter than the brown ale, as the name might suggest and a nice refreshing drink it is too. Got it from Home Bargains for a very reasonable 59p per bottle, then saw it in Tesco for £1.89 per bottle. WTF? :? Will be supping a few of these this evening, on a school night too!
I thought that was one of their special one offs. I tried it but thought it was just OK - but then again, my cup-a-tea is very light IPAs
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください