General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:We don't seem to have had any kitchens for a while :? . Gone bankrupt do you think?
That's cos I've banned over 300,000 far eastern ip addresses to try and stop them. I'm worried that I've inadvertently banned Seanworth too though cos he's not been online for ages either.
It's OK Hoss, seanworth was on the bug thread just the other day expounding about oriental woodlice...
But I've had an idea: can you target specific postcodes? :D
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:What about BWFC-I and Oh, Jimmy Jimmy? Come on - what've you done with them?
Just thinking the same.

Anyone know if Insano's ok- I'm sure he said he hadn't been too well?

Edit: cheers CH
I asked him that very question by pm, but I've no idea what the answer is.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

89bwfc89
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by 89bwfc89 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:What about BWFC-I and Oh, Jimmy Jimmy? Come on - what've you done with them?
Just thinking the same.

Anyone know if Insano's ok- I'm sure he said he hadn't been too well?

Edit: cheers CH
I asked him that very question by pm, but I've no idea what the answer is.
I was thinking of doing the same, very strange not seeing BWFC-I on here!

Petition to bring back Jimmy Jim and Insane? Meet you at the town hall.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:43 pm

aye - PM'd him a while ago - he's had a bit of a relapse and has not been well...

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Ah shame hope he fets well soon
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Totally bizarre situation this evening. Was phoned by Mr GG's best friend's sister who I don't know (but we have mutual friends, she's around my age) because via facebook Mr GG had promised he would try and mend her laptop for her, so she was ringing to speak to him but he was out. Anyway, she was in the middle of a full blown panic attack (which apparently she has quite a lot, she has several issues she is struggling with, including alcoholism) so I have just spent the past hour or so talking on the phone to a complete stranger trying to calm her down and reassure her all would be ok.

I didn't know how to handle it, am sure I was completely crap. Just kept her chatting about random stuff to try and distract her. She is living on her own, wouldn't phone her parents and was keen for Mr GG to go round there and then to mend her laptop because she needed it tonight to try and contact an ex boyfriend - which when he came home he politely declined on account of her fragile mental state and the fact he is pretty useless with emotional females. I eventually persuaded her to go to bed and that things would seem better in the morning and that Mr GG could have a look at it then if needed but now I am sitting here worried about her, hoping she will be ok alone and not really sure what to do, if anything. I suffered with panic attacks in my teens/early 20's a little bit and I honestly thought I was about to die when I had them, it was one of the most scary things ever, so now I am running through my mind whether I did the right thing, should I have handled it better, is she going to be alright, what if she kills herself in the middle of the night etc etc... :? :(

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:13 pm

GG - I hope this doesn't sound callous in any way but...

If she kills herself in the night (may that not happen!) you will not be responsible...

If she survives the night (please!) you cannot take the credit...

This stranger has a lot of problems - none of which you caused and none of which you can solve...

I hope she gets the laptop fixed, one way or another...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:16 pm

William the White wrote:GG - I hope this doesn't sound callous in any way but...

If she kills herself in the night (may that not happen!) you will not be responsible...

This stranger has a lot of problems - none of which you caused and none of which you can solve...

An sure she won't kill herself, its just a thought that flitted through my head cos she was in such a state. Not sure I helped much, but then not sure what you SHOULD do in these circumstances? Its not a situation I have dealt with before. Felt a bit out of my depth and useless.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:18 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
William the White wrote:GG - I hope this doesn't sound callous in any way but...

An sure she won't kill herself, its just a thought that flitted through my head cos she was in such a state. Not sure I helped much, but then not sure what you SHOULD do in these circumstances? Its not a situation I have dealt with before. Felt a bit out of my depth and useless.
Sounds to me like you did a tremendous amount, offering an ear and company and comfort - what more could you have done?

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:19 pm

William the White wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Sounds to me like you did a tremendous amount, offering an ear and company and comfort - what more could you have done?
I dunno, gone round there? Perhaps I should have offered once Mr GG got home. Didn't really think of that.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
William the White wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I dunno, gone round there? Perhaps I should have offered once Mr GG got home. Didn't really think of that.
That thought does you credit now, didn't occur to you then. But what you actually did then, on the phone, supporting a stranger, is something that many wouldn't. It says something about you. As does the fact that you are still concerned.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:29 pm

My mum just texted me, she knows her a bit and had been helping her so I had texted her explaining the situation, anyway apparently she had just had a text from her saying she was ok now, just a little shaky, so that's a relief. Might actually get to meet her tomorrow if Mr GG sorts her computer!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:My mum just texted me, she knows her a bit and had been helping her so I had texted her explaining the situation, anyway apparently she had just had a text from her saying she was ok now, just a little shaky, so that's a relief. Might actually get to meet her tomorrow if Mr GG sorts her computer!
Good news - sleep well... :D

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:32 am

It sounds to me GG that the lady was having an attack of panic rather than a panic attack. To me an attack of panic is a stress related matter (missing a deadline, inability to make a meeting on time because the train is running late) whilst a panic attack comes out of the blue for no discernible reason. I have suffered from the latter episodes for thirty-odd years. As you mentioned, the sufferer really does feel as though death is knocking on the door. Over those years I have found that, whilst it doesn't solve the problem, it does help with the symptoms - what you tried to do with the lady was the best thing you could have done. Distraction. The immediacy of doing something seems to help in suppressing the totally irrational messages the brain is transmitting. It is never fun but it does seem to alleviate the terror.

Well done, GG. You can be my neighbour any old time. :smile:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:49 am

Has there ever been any TW deaths?

Apart from a v small minority who know each other personally, any one of us could drop dead tomorrow and nobody on here would ever know.

Morbid start to the day there...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:41 am

Dujon wrote:It sounds to me GG that the lady was having an attack of panic rather than a panic attack. To me an attack of panic is a stress related matter (missing a deadline, inability to make a meeting on time because the train is running late) whilst a panic attack comes out of the blue for no discernible reason. I have suffered from the latter episodes for thirty-odd years. As you mentioned, the sufferer really does feel as though death is knocking on the door. Over those years I have found that, whilst it doesn't solve the problem, it does help with the symptoms - what you tried to do with the lady was the best thing you could have done. Distraction. The immediacy of doing something seems to help in suppressing the totally irrational messages the brain is transmitting. It is never fun but it does seem to alleviate the terror.

Well done, GG. You can be my neighbour any old time. :smile:
I presume there is some kind of biological/chemical reason for them but I don't really understand the science behind it all.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:47 am

General Mannerheim wrote:Has there ever been any TW deaths?

Apart from a v small minority who know each other personally, any one of us could drop dead tomorrow and nobody on here would ever know.

Morbid start to the day there...
A bloke in his 40's with 5 kids who was the head mod at one point on goonersworld, an arsenal forum i frequent, suddenly died of some kind of infection a couple of weeks ago. It was a massive shock to me even though I'd never met him and neither of us used the forum as much as we used to any more. I found out via Facebook - I reckon a lot of the current regular posters here are probably linked via Facebook or other means to other posters and word of anything would get out. Bruce seems to know everyone for instance...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 am

Many moons ago I ran an Interweb forum (it's more trouble than it is worth, so kudos to Kev n co on here). We had one of the main posters die on us. He was the life and soul of the forum and it hit us all quite hard, despite many of us never meeting him. I almost feel bad about all the times I had to ban him. He wouldn't mind me saying that he was a bit of a nice person, but he was our nice person :D

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:I presume there is some kind of biological/chemical reason for them but I don't really understand the science behind it all.
Nor do I, GG. I think too that the medicos are in the same boat. The best piece of advice I received (many years ago) from a doctor was a simple statement: "People don't die of panic attacks". So far, so good. :smile:

Ruddy 'eck, General, you're in a cheery mood today. Go and sit on the naughty stool for ten minutes.

Yes, AT, I understand. I once ran a BWFC Downunder forum. Even though it attracted a reasonable number of 'members' there was but small core of regular contributors. Fortunately I didn't have one single problem with posters but, as I was running my business at that time and simple though it was, it took too much of my time. I shut it down. I now run a weather site where any contact with me is via e-mail. Even though it's a far more complicated set up it's easy to administrate on a day-to-day basis . . . until things go wrong. :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 am

it being remembrance sunday - am telling the kids the story of Irena Sendler today - an absolutely fabulous story of an amazing woman who saved 2500 children and babies from the Warsaw Ghetto...

here story is here - worth a read - despite the slightly clunky page in which it is set...

http://www.zimbio.com/Every+Day+Heroes/ ... dler+Story

i have also woven together extracts from a WW1 soldier's letters home (with the permission of his family) and an un-named journal of an Iraqi lieutenant (presumed dead) found amongst the rubble of an Iraqi base after the main fighting was over...

it is remarkable - despite the separation of time and culture just how totally alike their thoughts, hopes and fears are...

as Irena Sendler said...
“After the Second World War it seemed that humanity understood something, and that nothing like that would happen again. Humanity has understood nothing. Religious, tribal, national wars continue. The world continues to be in a sea of blood. But the world can be better, if there’s love, tolerance, and humility.”