Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:18 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:amazes me folk still shop in person, the only thing I dont buy online is wrapping paper.
You'll be the one decked out like a Dexy's Midnight Runner then?!

:oyea:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:45 pm

... the first ever large scale information teleportation carried out. (Teleportation of humans mere centuries away, probably).

And here's how it was done: The boffins mapped the spin wave state of an atomic ensemble of rubidium atoms to a propagating photon, and then performed Bell state measurements on that photon and a second photon that was already entangled with the spin wave state of a second atomic ensemble. Once the two photons were projected into an (entangled) Bell state, the quantum information was teleported from the first atomic ensemble to the second atomic ensemble.
Stupendous.
here you can find the full story...
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm glad this makes you happy, LLS. I'd prefer a four-game winning streak.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:I'm glad this makes you happy, LLS. I'd prefer a four-game winning streak.
That I can't help you with, you'll have to ask Dougie.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:... the first ever large scale information teleportation carried out. (Teleportation of humans mere centuries away, probably).

And here's how it was done: The boffins mapped the spin wave state of an atomic ensemble of rubidium atoms to a propagating photon, and then performed Bell state measurements on that photon and a second photon that was already entangled with the spin wave state of a second atomic ensemble. Once the two photons were projected into an (entangled) Bell state, the quantum information was teleported from the first atomic ensemble to the second atomic ensemble.
Stupendous.
:conf:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:... the first ever large scale information teleportation carried out. (Teleportation of humans mere centuries away, probably).

Stupendous.
You are beginning to make me paranoid... what are you confused about:
a) why I'm happy about 'large scale information teleportation' ?
b) how they did it ?
or c) both of the above ??
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Stupendous.
b) how they did it ?
A little from A and a lot from B.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Stupendous.
b) how they did it ?
OK. a little more from a) I'm happy about it because this breakthrough makes quantum computing more likely to be a commercial proposition within my lifetime, and I'm also slightly happy as well because it is a small and very very very very tentative step on the path of developing a beam me up scotty technology that most physicists would have said only ten years ago to be impossible.
And an even littler bit more from b) Quantum teleportation by prior distributed entanglement gives a channel by which quantum states can be transferred among distant locations without any actual physical carriers. This transmisssion of quantum information is key to enabling qubits to perform, but up until now only photons have been demonstrated to transmit information faithfully at a distance by means of entanglement. The problem with photons is the obvious one, insofar as they ain't nailed down - they move like bloody greased lighting from a to b in the wink of an eye, and therefore trying to construct a quantum computer from them is challenging to say the least. The experiment as performed shows two things that haven't been done before, which are in layman's terms: to prove entanglement across matter that is stationary and to do it on a human rather than sub-atomic scale.

There you go, much less confused I'm sure, more :? than :conf: , Yes?
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:23 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:

Stupendous.
b) how they did it ?
OK. a little more from a) I'm happy about it because this breakthrough makes quantum computing more likely to be a commercial proposition within my lifetime, and I'm also slightly happy as well because it is a small and very very very very tentative step on the path of developing a beam me up scotty technology that most physicists would have said only ten years ago to be impossible.
And an even littler bit more from b) Quantum teleportation by prior distributed entanglement gives a channel by which quantum states can be transferred among distant locations without any actual physical carriers. This transmisssion of quantum information is key to enabling qubits to perform, but up until now only photons have been demonstrated to transmit information faithfully at a distance by means of entanglement. The problem with photons is the obvious one, insofar as they ain't nailed down - they move like bloody greased lighting from a to b in the wink of an eye, and therefore trying to construct a quantum computer from them is challenging to say the least. The experiment as performed shows two things that haven't been done before, which are in layman's terms: to prove entanglement across matter that is stationary and to do it on a human rather than sub-atomic scale.

There you go, much less confused I'm sure, more :? than :conf: , Yes?
I don't believe any of this claptrap.
Scientists, particularly physicists are a bunch of lying, cheating charlatans.
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:29 pm

If I thought this transportation thing really worked I'd try moving this whole topic over to The Technology Thread. I have fears you may all be lost in space somewhere so, I'll leave it. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:32 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I don't believe any of this claptrap.
Scientists, particularly physicists are a bunch of lying, cheating charlatans.
You are Andrew Mitchell and I claim my £5
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 pm

:D
If I can prove that I'm not really Andrew Mitchell does that mean you owe me a fiver instead? :wink:
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:36 pm

CrazyHorse wrote::D
If I can prove that I'm not really Andrew Mitchell does that mean you owe me a fiver instead? :wink:
errrrrrrrrrrrrr... I'll have to think about that.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm happy that Lufthansa are offering a flight to Minsk for £159 return, which is a whopping 200 quid cheaper than it normally is. Gotta love the Krauts. Means I can visit friends of mine in March :D
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Lufthansa are absolutely ace, Bob. My airline of choice every time (the polar opposite being Air France, the bunch of surly wankers).
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Lufthansa are absolutely ace, Bob. My airline of choice every time (the polar opposite being France, the bunch of surly wankers).
Fixed that for you :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Lufthansa are absolutely ace, Bob. My airline of choice every time (the polar opposite being France, the bunch of surly wankers).
Fixed that for you :wink:
:lol: Aye, fair enough.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Lufthansa are absolutely ace, Bob. My airline of choice every time (the polar opposite being Air France, the bunch of surly wankers).
I like Lufthansa once I'm on the flight, but their record at turning up on time and being able to get you to an interim destination in time for your connecting Lufthansa flight is shite. Must've had 20 flights booked with them since Sept - at least 50% fcuked up.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 am

back oop north this afty for a couple of weeks off, cant friggin wait.

im worn out, ill say one thing about London, it doesnt cock about when it comes to christmas! i must have been on six xmas do's, 3 of them official ones. company one, project one, & a team one. had an agency one, a squash team one and one for the sake of it last night. was at darts monday, out tuesday & wednesday and were all off to the pub at lunchtime today too! i could happily not drink again now till new year.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:46 am

General Mannerheim wrote:back oop north this afty for a couple of weeks off, cant friggin wait.

im worn out, ill say one thing about London, it doesnt cock about when it comes to christmas! i must have been on six xmas do's, 3 of them official ones. company one, project one, & a team one. had an agency one, a squash team one and one for the sake of it last night. was at darts monday, out tuesday & wednesday and were all off to the pub at lunchtime today too! i could happily not drink again now till new year.
This is unusual? :conf: