What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:36 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Here you go. The official view:

http://www.lovejackreacher.com/jack-rea ... can-munro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wouldn't the winner of the jack reacher lookalikey crown simply be the bloke they use on the front of some of the jack reacher books?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:40 pm

thebish wrote:

http://www.lovejackreacher.com/jack-rea ... can-munro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wouldn't the winner of the jack reacher lookalikey crown simply be the bloke they use on the front of some of the jack reacher books?

Who may be as short as Cruise and a worse actor that Lundgren.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:43 pm

thebish wrote:

Apart from Tom Cruise , I've never seen a picture of anyone on any of the books?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:45 pm

^ clear winner than! uncontested!! ;-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:23 pm

thebish wrote:^ clear winner than! uncontested!! ;-)
William will be along shortly.

Have you nicked Bobo's 'phone?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
thebish wrote:^ clear winner than! uncontested!! ;-)
William will be along shortly.

Have you nicked Bobo's 'phone?
:lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:32 pm

arse! :-)

(or as Bobo would say, adce)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:06 pm

Cents the lot of you.

Are holes and cents.

Wonkers.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:58 pm

As an aside, has anyone come across David Baldacci's new action hero, John Puller? He's a tall tough military investigator and loner who solves crime... reminds me of someone.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:12 pm

LeverEnd wrote:As an aside, has anyone come across David Baldacci's new action hero, John Puller? He's a tall tough military investigator and loner who solves crime... reminds me of someone.
Blatant copycat. One Major Reacher, there's only one Major Reacher.... :)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:25 pm

So The Goldfinch arrived. It's enormous! 770 page hardback. No wonder it took her 10 years to write. I'll get stuck in later.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:50 pm

^ Not read it myself but that book stunned my wife when it fell on her head she read it over our holidays. She couldn't praise it enough!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:29 pm

clapton is god wrote:^ Not read it myself but that book stunned my wife when it fell on her head she read it over our holidays. She couldn't praise it enough!
Good to know. Buy her The Secret History if she's not read it already.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:57 pm

Today I finished the first of the Booker delivery. Karen Joy Fowler's We are all completely beside ourselves is, in turn, laugh out loud funny, sad, and uplifting by the end.

It's a story of sibling affection, loss, animal rights and family obligation, with a brilliant twist in the middle.

Very good, earns its place on the shortlist.

Now to choose the next... :D

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Just seen "Before I go to Sleep", an okay'ish phsych thriller, but prior to the film there was a trailer for the upcoming 'The Equaliser'. The star of this film would make a much, much better Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise ever will and in fact in the trailer he displayed several Reacher'esque traits. Denzil Washington! Not a name or an image that immediately springs to mind but then again, neither did Cruise.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:45 pm

clapton is god wrote:Just seen "Before I go to Sleep", an okay'ish phsych thriller, but prior to the film there was a trailer for the upcoming 'The Equaliser'. The star of this film would make a much, much better Jack Reacher than Tom Cruise ever will and in fact in the trailer he displayed several Reacher'esque traits. Denzil Washington! Not a name or an image that immediately springs to mind but then again, neither did Cruise.
Funny that, because I just told the wife today that one of her favourite films is on tommorrow "Man on Fire". with said Denzil Wahington" Decent actor but not quite Reacher for me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 pm

Hollywood (it seems) cares naught about tall heroes. Alan Ladd who made the classic westerns "Shane" Whispering Smith and the original Great Gatsby was just 5-6 tall, shorter than Tom Cruise. Humphrey Bogart was 5-8" and wore 4" built-up shoes. Sean Connery as Bond was/is 6-3, whilst Daniel Craig is 5-10" and a very good Bond.

I think the Reacher issue is mainly (certainly for me) about the fact that Lee Child put so much emphasis on his hero's huge build in the books. His height of six-feet-five
is mentioned in all of them. He's a "big" guy. I doubt there would have been an issue but for that fact. None of the others put stress on it and smaller actors are nothing new. Humphrey Bogart was 5-8", Al Pacino 5-7". Danny de Vito is just 5ft tall.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:55 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Cents the lot of you.

Are holes and cents.

Wonkers.
:-)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:52 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Hollywood (it seems) cares naught about tall heroes. Alan Ladd who made the classic westerns "Shane" Whispering Smith and the original Great Gatsby was just 5-6 tall, shorter than Tom Cruise. Humphrey Bogart was 5-8" and wore 4" built-up shoes. Sean Connery as Bond was/is 6-3, whilst Daniel Craig is 5-10" and a very good Bond.

I think the Reacher issue is mainly (certainly for me) about the fact that Lee Child put so much emphasis on his hero's huge build in the books. His height of six-feet-five
is mentioned in all of them. He's a "big" guy. I doubt there would have been an issue but for that fact. None of the others put stress on it and smaller actors are nothing new. Humphrey Bogart was 5-8", Al Pacino 5-7". Danny de Vito is just 5ft tall.
I agree, but it's all about casting an actor that will make it a sure fire money spinner. It's a lack of imagination, which is kinda ironic given it is supposed to be a creative industry :roll:

Reacher is supposed to be 6' 5" tall and 250 pounds of muscle. To put that into perspective, my height and 30 pounds heavier (muscle rather than middle age spread :oops: ) - When you last saw me Tango I was probably about 210 pounds. The guy is supposed to be intimidating, not a grinning midget that has been to the gym. If they wanted a bigish name actor then Liam Neeson with a few extra pounds would have been a good fit.

As for Daniel Craig, he's gotten better, but he is a terrible actor. Most I've seen him in he's been more wooden than Pinocchio.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:38 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:

Reacher is supposed to be 6' 5" tall and 250 pounds of muscle. To put that into perspective, my height and 30 pounds heavier (muscle rather than middle age spread :oops: ) - When you last saw me Tango I was probably about 210 pounds. The guy is supposed to be intimidating, not a grinning midget that has been to the gym. If they wanted a bigish name actor then Liam Neeson with a few extra pounds would have been a good fit.

As for Daniel Craig, he's gotten better, but he is a terrible actor. Most I've seen him in he's been more wooden than Pinocchio.
I' ve still got neck-ache from looking up at you.. :mrgreen:

Craig is fine as Bond because he does good stunt work and fits the film image. Bond, in the films at least, is pretty comic-book as a hero. I loved all the Fleming books but never really took to the film version Bond. Fleming's Bond, despite his own sense of humour, was a rather serious sort of personality , not the wise-cracking hooray Henry with a jet pack that Hollywood made him.