Noel Gallagher 'quitting Oasis'

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 pm

mofgimmers wrote:'D'You Know What I Mean' had all the hallmarks of a great Oasis single though.
Nah, for me that's where supreme confidence tipped into coke-drenched arrogance: an overproduced, undersingable fingernail-paring of a song. "All my people, right here, right now... d'you know what I mean?" No, sorry, I don't. Say something, anything. The song's taken eight minutes to do nowt but make a racket.

Anyway, carry on.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:'D'You Know What I Mean' had all the hallmarks of a great Oasis single though.
Nah, for me that's where supreme confidence tipped into coke-drenched arrogance: an overproduced, undersingable fingernail-paring of a song. "All my people, right here, right now... d'you know what I mean?" No, sorry, I don't. Say something, anything. The song's taken eight minutes to do nowt but make a racket.

Anyway, carry on.
Like I said, all the hallmarks of a great Oasis single.

Meaningless lyrics? *check*
Wall of sound-esque guitars? *check*
Attitude? *check*

(etc)

As I don't like a single record they've made, I'm probably not the best judge!
Viva La Portable Radio!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Sifting through this thread, a few thoughts:

You can't feck with the first two Oasis albums. They're absolute beasts.
If anyone has written a better basic guitar, bass, drums and vocals track than Slide Away since 1994 I've not heard it.

Radiohead have gotten better with age, peaking with In Rainbows (which is my pick for album of the decade so far).

I watched Pearl Jam the other week and was completely blown away. They even managed to play two of my favourite tracks - Sleight of Hand off Binaural and Present Tense off No Code.

Post 1994 - a band with three good albums in a row? Man, how long have you got (naturally all the bands I'll list will be very obscure :D )?
Steve Lurpack knows nowt, probably less than Zaney Lowe.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:38 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:I watched Pearl Jam the other week and was completely blown away. They even managed to play two of my favourite tracks - Sleight of Hand off Binaural and Present Tense off No Code.
Lucky bastard! Yeah they are always good for a mixed set list. Never is just the singles. Makes the concerts a different event each time.

Loyal White
Promising
Promising

Post by Loyal White » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Three quality albums

Metallica actually did four on the bounce (Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All) - a lot of people will argue the next album they released should be on that list too, not me though

Someone else for you... Kanye West (College Drop Out, Late Registration, Graduation)

Can appreciate these won't be everyones cup of tea though.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Great call on both Loyal.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Sifting through this thread, a few thoughts:

If anyone has written a better basic guitar, bass, drums and vocals track than Slide Away since 1994 I've not heard it.

Radiohead have gotten better with age, peaking with In Rainbows (which is my pick for album of the decade so far).

I watched Pearl Jam the other week and was completely blown away. They even managed to play two of my favourite tracks - Sleight of Hand off Binaural and Present Tense off No Code.

Post 1994 - a band with three good albums in a row? Man, how long have you got (naturally all the bands I'll list will be very obscure :D )?
Just goes to show how subjective a topic like this is.

'Slide Away', in my humble opinion, is pedestrian, turgid dross. Radiohead are a band I've never liked. A mate of mine went watching Pearl Jam (a Pearl Jam fan I'll add) and came away wanting a refund because they were so indulgent.

:|
Viva La Portable Radio!

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:26 am

I love how subjective it is! It's what makes it the best thing there is.
:D

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:28 pm

mofgimmers wrote:
Raven wrote:Why so much fuss about a boring Beatles tribute act?
You mean Rutles tribute act, surely?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ9EWcaS7II
Nah the Rutles are funny and not up themselves :)

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:31 pm

FD wrote:
Raven wrote:Why so much fuss about a boring Beatles tribute act?
...is exactly what a bellend would say!

:mrgreen:

Cheers :) I have their album with wonderwall on it and think its good, had the one after that and did not like it, just think they are vastly overated!

Give me the UK Subs, Sham 69 and The Ruts anyday ;)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:33 pm

Oasis were good for a time. But music moves on and they haven't. Still stuck in a mid-nineties indie drudge time-warp.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:15 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
FD wrote:The first three Radiohead albums indeed, shame they disappeared up their own arses shortly after.
Agree with you exactly on that. Going back to MSP though, I've always thought that they seem to make 50% of a great album and then just fill the rest of it with turd.
...and that, surely, is the mark of a truly great album: all killer, no filler. Debates begin, of course, when folk disagree as to which is which. But they rarely do. Interestingly, in the post-CD age, the album listings are top-loaded, with the good stuff first to catch the eye of hurried shop browsers and iPod skippers; there's a theory* that you can best judge a modern album by tracks 7 and 8.

My tupporth on Radiohead is that I much prefer The Bends to OK Computer, and don't like much thereafter. As for Oasis, two fine albums pre-hubris, occasional good songs since, which brings us back to the 'great album' qualification.

Agreed with Mof that Super Furry Animals come close; Rings Around The World and Phantom Power would accompany me to the rhetorical desert island but I never really loved the follow-up Love Kraft or the preceding Mwng (possibly because it's in Welsh, and which crazy arses record in Welsh?! :mrgreen: )

* Just made up by me
indeed.... :D

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:25 pm

mofgimmers wrote:

'Slide Away', in my humble opinion, is pedestrian, turgid dross. Radiohead are a band I've never liked. A mate of mine went watching Pearl Jam (a Pearl Jam fan I'll add) and came away wanting a refund because they were so indulgent.

As the resident Pearl Jam fanatic I wonder what he thought made them indulgent?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:30 pm

I'd guess they played a load of album filler nonsense and possibly one of them half hour jam sesh wankathons?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:39 pm

americantrotter wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:

As the resident Pearl Jam fanatic I wonder what he thought made them indulgent?
Eddie was getting progressively pissed on wine, smoked a cig on stage (not cool) and forgot the words to one of the tracks off Riot Act.
I was watching DrumGod Matt Cameron for the first time so I was in a bit of a zone, unaware of what others might think.

No half-hour jams but plenty of album filler, some of which was majestic - In Hiding, Present Tense...

SET:
http://www.pearljam.com/tour/show/manch ... ug-17-2009

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:27 pm

I didn't go into details as I had a moron that needed berating (such is pub life).

I vaguely recall mention of needless fretwankery.
Viva La Portable Radio!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:50 pm

Well He often fogets words. Just a thing of his i guess. Plus I love the fact that it's album filler as some call it. I hate the greatest hits style shows. I can see feeling the other way though. There are definitely always two camps when it comes to concerts. the die hards and the folks just looking for a good show.

I can't see what's wrong with smoking on stage, and he often has a bottle of wine. Just his thing i guess.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:43 pm

Is Pearl Jam a euphemism for Harry Monk?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:10 pm

americantrotter wrote:Well He often fogets words. Just a thing of his i guess. Plus I love the fact that it's album filler as some call it. I hate the greatest hits style shows. I can see feeling the other way though. There are definitely always two camps when it comes to concerts. the die hards and the folks just looking for a good show.

I can't see what's wrong with smoking on stage, and he often has a bottle of wine. Just his thing i guess.
It's illegal over here! If I can't light up a small jazz cigarette in the crowd he shouldn't be allowed a marlboro on the stage!
Still, it was a sensational gig. I'm one of the die hards!

Brucey, prior to the formation of Pearl Jam some members were in a band called Mother Love Bone........ haha. Diry duvet dirty mind!

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:37 pm

So, from reading this thread, I'm in a massive minority that enjoyed Heathen Chemistry? Ah, well.

Thought they jumped the shark after Be Here Now, thought they were just getting desperate after Heathen Chemistry. Oasis wont be a great loss to music, but they were a great addition in their early pomp.

I've grown to appreciate Kid A, a long time after that first, incredulous listen to it. Everthing In It's Right Place is one of the few songs that I lose myself in when listening to it, although I can see why the voice distortion grates many.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you