fight the flab

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mrplow
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: fight the flab

Post by mrplow » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Five years ago, we bought a Wii Fit for the kids. When I weighed myself on it I was nearly 15 st (5' 11" tall) so I was overweight. I started using the Wii Fit every day and managed to get down to 12 st in around 4 months (and lost 4 inches off my waist). I found doing 30 - 40 minutes every day, before and after work allowed me to steadily lose weight. I also cut back on beer and crisps which were my big weakness. I've never put the weight back on and still weigh myself every day.

I think the key for me was excercise I could do at home, (jogging on the spot watching the telly, that sort of nonsense) rather than having to trek out in the cold or go to a Gym and feel self conscious.

The only other advice that has ever helped me is eat slowly, something about your brain taking time to realise you are full. I used to eat really quickly but I've consciously slowed down and it has seemed to help

Good luck anyway.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:19 pm

mrplow wrote:
I think the key for me was excercise I could do at home, (jogging on the spot watching the telly, that sort of nonsense) rather than having to trek out in the cold or go to a Gym and feel self conscious.
absolutely - that's what i need... if I can have my cross trainer in front of the telly and watch an episode of madmen whilst on the go - then the time passes nicely!
mrplow wrote:The only other advice that has ever helped me is eat slowly, something about your brain taking time to realise you are full. I used to eat really quickly but I've consciously slowed down and it has seemed to help
this is also very good advice! I always used to be the first to finish... now i'm not. I also now (except for special occasions) drink more water whilst eating. putting a jug of water on the table every day makes a huge difference.

I have the wii-fit thing - but haven't used it for ages.. i did enjoy the balance/yoga stuff - it DID make me more bendy and stable!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:30 pm

thebish wrote: I also now (except for special occasions) drink more water whilst eating. putting a jug of water on the table every day makes a huge difference.
I was told that this is bad for you. That you should break your food down naturally by mastication and only drink around 20 minutes or so afterwards. Don't know if there's any truth in it though :conf:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Snacking can be a problem if you're doing it as well as eating pig portions.

On the other hand, if your problem is portion size, then I found it easier to cut down the portions if I had a bit of fruit about an hour before my main meal. Meant I wasn't feeling as ravenous by the time I ate and blasting through it and then eating more.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
thebish wrote: I also now (except for special occasions) drink more water whilst eating. putting a jug of water on the table every day makes a huge difference.
I was told that this is bad for you. That you should break your food down naturally by mastication and only drink around 20 minutes or so afterwards. Don't know if there's any truth in it though :conf:
But the dentist says you can only drink fruit juice during meals. Aaaagh!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Hmmmm, I just can't seem to break the 10 stone barrier - in the last four years I've been as high as 10st13lb (briefly) and as low as 10st2lb (on a downward trend), but am now stuck on 10st~7lb-ish. It's a bugger. I want 9st12lb as my target weight but as I go part time as of next week I expect to break the barrier some time this year (due to less sitting around on my arse at work).
I don't eat breakfast or dinner/lunch or supper. One meal a day man around eight o'clock at night. That way I can drink up to three pints of bitter without calorific consequences. Now that's a proper diet.
Eating a big meal at night is a bad idea. You don't burn off the calories.

You should eat breakfast, and eat more regularly through the day if you want to drop weight....
Nah, not having it. If I put x amount of calories in and burn y amount off during a 24 hour period, the amount retained as fat (z) always comes to z=x-y no matter when x is consumed.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:43 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Hmmmm, I just can't seem to break the 10 stone barrier - in the last four years I've been as high as 10st13lb (briefly) and as low as 10st2lb (on a downward trend), but am now stuck on 10st~7lb-ish. It's a bugger. I want 9st12lb as my target weight but as I go part time as of next week I expect to break the barrier some time this year (due to less sitting around on my arse at work).
I don't eat breakfast or dinner/lunch or supper. One meal a day man around eight o'clock at night. That way I can drink up to three pints of bitter without calorific consequences. Now that's a proper diet.

You should eat breakfast, and eat more regularly through the day if you want to drop weight....
Nah, not having it. If I put x amount of calories in and burn y amount off during a 24 hour period, the amount retained as fat (z) always comes to z=x-y no matter when x is consumed.

What about the 8ish hours you sleep?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

what about them?
Food is broken down into constituent parts such as glucose or amino acids or other stuff. It is absorbed through the gut (mainly), enters the bloodstraem and does one of four things:
used straight from the blood
stored in various organs - such as the liver
stored as fat

A healthy sleeping body will do that just like a healthy awake body will, only difference is that less will be used immediately in someone asleep. If you have an active lifestyle then the fat storage will be brown fat not white and the fat will be broken down and used in the period when no food has been consumed. This occurs whether asleep or awake.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Ever since I was ill back in 2010 I've kept a daily record of my weight.
My target is that bloody 140 pound line. Always just out of reach.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:55 pm

If you want to keep a proper record of your weight, you must always do it at the same time each day (ideally when you get up in the morning). Weigh yourself naked, and after having pooed/weed, but prior to shower/bathing. [Top Tips For Literal Weightwatchers]
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

what about them?
Food is broken down into constituent parts such as glucose or amino acids or other stuff. It is absorbed through the gut (mainly), enters the bloodstraem and does one of four things:
used straight from the blood
stored in various organs - such as the liver
stored as fat

A healthy sleeping body will do that just like a healthy awake body will, only difference is that less will be used immediately in someone asleep. If you have an active lifestyle then the fat storage will be brown fat not white and the fat will be broken down and used in the period when no food has been consumed. This occurs whether asleep or awake.
Granted, you should eat something before bed, but a full meal that late isn't good.

What about the immediate energy received from the food? That will surely disturb sleep and the more tired you are, the more likely to snack etc!

But if it works for you, keep doing it!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 pm

If I eat before bed I have breakfast cereal usually. Weetabix, granola, that kind of stuff (not sugar puffs or owt). Is that a decent thing to eat prior to bed?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:21 pm

As I said before I eat quite late as I have no choice.

But my metabolism is in overdrive as it's usually within half an hour of exercise.

If you're eating before bed, after a nice relaxing evening, I would suggest your digestive capability will be much less effective.

Bish

Mrs GtE says there are LOADS of recipes for pescatarians and veggies who eat eggs.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:23 pm

If you want to lose weight Bish, it purely is down to the individual what works.

All I can advise is:

1. Obviously stay clear of deep fried food, fatty food and alcohol.
2. But once a week, go barmy! Have a "cheat meal" and a couple of drinks. It'll stop you going crackers!
3. Aim to eat 6 balances meals a day, high protein, low-ish carbs. (Be sensible though, if you're going to be busy that day, have a few extra carbs!!)
4. Stay away from pre-prepared "ready meals".
5. Use a lot of herbs and spices. (Chilli's help burn fat if you like them?)
6. Don't weigh yourself!!! Aim for how you feel and look, I weigh 16st but I don't look too bad and I'm pretty fit (Oooh, get me). My bmi says I'm obese...
7. Find alternatives to what you like. If you like sweet stuff like chocolate, replace it with fruit or something else sweet.
8. Excercise to your abilities. So many people jump on a bike to get fit, try to do 100 miles, get fed up and give it up. Walking at a high pace is a lot harder than you think!!
9. Keep busy. If you find yourself getting hungry between meals, find something to take your mind of it!

Hope that helps!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:If you want to keep a proper record of your weight, you must always do it at the same time each day (ideally when you get up in the morning). Weigh yourself naked, and after having pooed/weed, but prior to shower/bathing. [Top Tips For Literal Weightwatchers]
i don't think i'll ever be obsessed enough for daily weighing - i'd drive myself mad with all the day-to-day fluctuations.. weekly is quite enough for me...

is there a particular reason that you are so keen to be 140lbs?

what's your theory as to why you can't reach it? if the x+y-z calorie theory is as simple as you make it sound - why don't you just consume fewer or burn more calories each day? that would then get you down to 140lbs. simple!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If I eat before bed I have breakfast cereal usually. Weetabix, granola, that kind of stuff (not sugar puffs or owt). Is that a decent thing to eat prior to bed?
Might just be me being cynical, but my wife regularly has supper-time cereal. Fine, but Special K with chocolate and strawberries and stuff? Really?

Me, I just have two slices of Warbie's toastie with cheese and pickles or cheese and crisps. :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If I eat before bed I have breakfast cereal usually. Weetabix, granola, that kind of stuff (not sugar puffs or owt). Is that a decent thing to eat prior to bed?

dunno! cheeeeeeese - that's the thing! gives you nightmares - FACT! :D

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:26 pm

It all depends on portion size to be fair. A small bowl to stop you being up all night with a rumbling stomach is good but a washing up bowl full won't help you sleep at all!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:As I said before I eat quite late as I have no choice.

But my metabolism is in overdrive as it's usually within half an hour of exercise.

If you're eating before bed, after a nice relaxing evening, I would suggest your digestive capability will be much less effective.

Bish

Mrs GtE says there are LOADS of recipes for pescatarians and veggies who eat eggs.

cheers Mrs GtE - might give it a look! 8)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:27 pm

what timing - someone posted this somewhere else

http://www.sleeveat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WT absolute F!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.