What are you playing tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bwfcdan94
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you playing tonight?

Post by bwfcdan94 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Limassol by Maximo Park. thought it would make a good break form Oasis/ Noel Gallagher's HFB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62vefSX2rY
The above post is complete bollox/garbage/nonsense, please point this out to me at any and every occasion possible.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:44 pm

My guitar. It's been a while, and my fingers are sore like an open wound with pepper spray and bleach in it.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Il Pirate wrote:My guitar. It's been a while, and my fingers are sore like an open wound with pepper spray and bleach in it.
I bought myself an electric guitar a few years back, as a christmas present to myself. I hadn't "played" a guitar since my first attempt at learning way back at primary school.

I'd forgotten how painful it was. The strings are like cheese wire. After a few weeks I started to lose the feeling in the tips of my fingers. I hadn't planned on that.

Needless to say it's now sat on its stand and hasn't been picked up for about a year.

I'll give it another 35 years or so before I try to learn again.
Hope is what keeps us going.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:29 am

bwfcdan94 wrote:Limassol by Maximo Park. thought it would make a good break form Oasis/ Noel Gallagher's HFB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g62vefSX2rY
Cracking tune from a cracking album :oyea:

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:39 am

Never got around to listening to Battles's second album, Gloss Drop. It's only all on ruddy Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXiGA4i_mq4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barely in so far but have to say, this is some funky stuff.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 am

Always hopeful wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:My guitar. It's been a while, and my fingers are sore like an open wound with pepper spray and bleach in it.
I bought myself an electric guitar a few years back, as a christmas present to myself. I hadn't "played" a guitar since my first attempt at learning way back at primary school.

I'd forgotten how painful it was. The strings are like cheese wire. After a few weeks I started to lose the feeling in the tips of my fingers. I hadn't planned on that.

Needless to say it's now sat on its stand and hasn't been picked up for about a year.

Keep going with it Ah. I always find putting together a couple of simple blues licks brings the motivation back and you can then build on that. You also notice your fingers improving when you no longer have to stop playing to wipe the blood off the fretboard!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 am

Il Pirate wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

Keep going with it Ah. I always find putting together a couple of simple blues licks brings the motivation back and you can then build on that. You also notice your fingers improving when you no longer have to stop playing to wipe the blood off the fretboard!
Yeah it does get better, I remember some story about Stevie Ray Vaughan who is known for using .13 gauge strings (when I guess .11 gauge would be considered a heavy by most guitar players, I use 0.09's and 0.10's depending on the guitar) tuned down half a step, and in order to do so at one point he had to remove some skin from somewhere (I forget where) and basically stick it to one of his finger tips in order to play.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Got .8's on a Strat and .13's on my electro acoustic. Going from one to the other I find difficult.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Got .8's on a Strat and .13's on my electro acoustic. Going from one to the other I find difficult.

When playing the strat Bruce, do you keep whacking the toggle switch on your downstroke ? (fnrr fnrr); I do if I get a bit exited. May swop for for a tele.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Going through my Fall collection. Some good stuff about there. Some crap as well mind you.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Il Pirate wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Got .8's on a Strat and .13's on my electro acoustic. Going from one to the other I find difficult.

When playing the strat Bruce, do you keep whacking the toggle switch on your downstroke ? (fnrr fnrr); I do if I get a bit exited. May swop for for a tele.
Yes, always, so now I just leave it set to the bottom option. :oops:

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 am

BB King and Eric Clapton at Crossroads. I think its compulsory to pull your face like this when playing the Blues, and I also suspect its been a while since BB King was rocked all night long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG3DTvgVmv8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incidentally, Clapton was 68 a couple of days ago. Not bad for a man who shouldn't have seen 38!

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:36 pm

clapton is god wrote:BB King and Eric Clapton at Crossroads. I think its compulsory to pull your face like this when playing the Blues, and I also suspect its been a while since BB King was rocked all night long!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG3DTvgVmv8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Incidentally, Clapton was 68 a couple of days ago. Not bad for a man who shouldn't have seen 38!

Just heard a slowed down version of 'still got the blues for you', by Clapton and Stevie Winwood; not bad...........

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Dark room, Dark side of the moon, bottle or two of Bud and a spliff!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am

Il Pirate wrote:

I love my Tele (never owned a strat), love the sound on clean, especially through my fender amp, and better than expected with distortion

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba ... Blonde/9IJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I think this is the exact model, except with a maple fretboard.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:

I love my Tele (never owned a strat), love the sound on clean, especially through my fender amp, and better than expected with distortion

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba ... Blonde/9IJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I think this is the exact model, except with a maple fretboard.

Very nice B. I've been looking around, as I fancy meself as some latter day Roy Buchanan, but some say only buy a proper tele. A little too expensive for my axe skills. Then people tell me, buy one made in Mexico, then others say a Taiwanese model as they're better than the Mexican guitars, and vice versa. Much as I like the tele, I might avoid the pitfalls and get myself a Epiphone Gibson LP junior instead.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:02 am

Been toying, for a couple of years now, with the idea of buying a Gretsch semi-acoustic, but don't really play enough any more to warrant it. Then the other half of me says that if I bought one then perhaps I'd start to play more again. Wouldn't mind stumbling across one in a 2nd hand shop or summat.

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am

Beefheart wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:

Yeah it does get better, I remember some story about Stevie Ray Vaughan who is known for using .13 gauge strings (when I guess .11 gauge would be considered a heavy by most guitar players, I use 0.09's and 0.10's depending on the guitar) tuned down half a step, and in order to do so at one point he had to remove some skin from somewhere (I forget where) and basically stick it to one of his finger tips in order to play.
This (see below) is how I was beginning to feel when I was practising. Rather than ending up like this bloke, I decided that perhaps I didn't have the patience for learning to play.

Thanks to Annoyed Grunt for the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TSQuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope is what keeps us going.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Too many "axemen" on here for my liking. :)

To add a bit of balance, I'm treating the neighbours to Native Instruments "Massive" synth, plugged into Ableton. Some reet wierd shit coming out. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Too many "axemen" on here for my liking. :)

To add a bit of balance, I'm treating the neighbours to Native Instruments "Massive" synth, plugged into Ableton. Some reet wierd shit coming out. :D
I have previously owned an original Fender Rhodes 73 and a Roland Juno 60. Ended up selling both for nuts, now both worth a fecking mint. :(