How Clever Are You?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mustard Dust Sand
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Mustard Dust Sand » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:46 am

Me too - that was a woeful performance.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

boltonswede
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by boltonswede » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:12 am

UK Harder ??????
More like "Mission Impossible UK Version"

Aint u got a "UK- Not So Frigging 'Ard" section or what?
If so, it'll be yer last chance tomorrow, Malcolm.......... :spank:
Gerroff moi laaaaaaaaaaaaaand !!! Before i kick y'arses !!!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:16 am

Most of the questions I got today were alright - it was only my lack of knowledge on the royals that really let me down (and an elementary error on a Red Dwarf question by clicking the wrong box). I'd say knock it down a notch to intermediate and it should be alright.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:19 am

I gave up after like 5 questions and just clicked random answers.

Way to make it no fun anymore.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:38 am

I'm dumb, and getting dumber daily. :roll:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:44 am

:whack:
Businesswoman of the year.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:22 pm

boltonswede wrote:UK Harder ??????
More like "Mission Impossible UK Version"

Aint u got a "UK- Not So Frigging 'Ard" section or what?
If so, it'll be yer last chance tomorrow, Malcolm.......... :spank:
There are only two UK categories -
Easy to Intermediate
and Intermediate to Hard.

The easy category are ridculously easy e.g. Who is the UK's Prime Minister or What is the capital of England. So this other set of questions are out I'm afraid.

I'll change it back to the mixed bag later.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 pm

I'd leave it as it is. It's a more genuine test of knowledge. Says he who got 5.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:27 pm

FWIW I PREFER IT
Sto ut Serviam

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:53 pm

The questions are boring compared to the others ones, and unless you gave a crap about history in school then You have no chance of knowing the answers.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:58 pm

ILL EVEN TAKE THE CAPS OFF FOR THIS.....

How can questions be boring?

Are they boring when you don't know the answer?

Please expand?
Sto ut Serviam

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:19 pm

Pft, I don't know the answers to most of the questions anyway.

Questions can be boring because of the subject they are on, not because I don't know the answers.

Questions on the anatomy of an ant will be boring compared to questions on football.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:19 pm

here's three boring questions.... (to serve as illustrations...)
How can questions be boring?

Are they boring when you don't know the answer?

Please expand?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:24 pm

here's another boring question - itr's reputeds to be the longest question in the world (though how anyone can claim that I don't know!)

September 14, 2005
The World's Longest Question

At yesterday's morning confirmation hearing for Judge Roberts, Sen. Kennedy arguably asked the World's Longest Question of Chief Justice nominee John Roberts.
KENNEDY: Let me, if I could, go to the Civil Rights Restoration Act. In 1981, you support an effort by the Department of Education to reverse 17 years of civil right protections at colleges and universities that receive federal funds. Under the new regulations, the definition of federal assistance to colleges and universities would be narrow to exclude certain types of student loans and grants so that fewer institutions would be covered by the civil rights laws. As a result, more colleges and universities would legally be able to discriminate against people of color, women and the disabled. Your efforts to narrow the protection of the civil rights laws did not stop there, however. In 1984, in Grove City v. Bell, the Supreme Court decided, contrary to the Department of Education regulation that you supported, that student loans and grants did indeed constitute federal assistance to colleges for purposes of triggering civil rights protections. But, in a surprising twist, the court concluded that the nondiscrimination laws were intended to apply only to the specific program receiving the funds and not to the institution as a whole. Under that reasoning, a university that received federal aid in the form of tuition could not discriminate in admissions but was free to discriminate in athletics, housing, faculty hiring and any other programs that did not receive the direct funds. If the admissions office didn't discriminate, they got the funds through the admission office, they could discriminate in any other place of the university. A strong bipartisan majority in both the House and the Senate decided to pass another law, the Civil Rights Restoration Act, to make it clear that they intended to prohibit discrimination in all programs and activities of a university that received federal assistance. You vehemently opposed the Civil Rights Restoration Act. Even after the Grove City court found otherwise, you still believed that there was, quote -- and this is your quote -- a good deal of intuitive appeal to the argument that federal loans and grants to students should not be viewed as federal financial assistance to the university. You realize, of course, that these loans and grants to the students were paid to the university as tuition. Then, even though you acknowledged that the program-specific aspect of the Supreme Court decision was going to be overturned by the congressional legislation, you continued to believe that it would be, quote, too onerous for colleges to comply with nondiscrimination laws across the entire university unless it was, quote, on the basis of something more solid than federal aid to students. Judge Roberts, if your position prevailed, it would have been legal in many cases to discriminate in athletics for girls, women. It would have been legal to discriminate in the hiring of teachers. It would have been legal not to provide services or accommodations to the disabled. Do you still believe today that it is too onerous for the government to require universities that accept tuition payments from students who rely on federal grants and loans not to discriminate in any of their programs or activities?

(I think the answer was "a fish")

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:35 pm

I'll say it once I wont bemoan it. That sucked and we knew it would.

They have a general knowledge category which would be a nice mix and a move away from the mixed bag.

I'll not be playing that shite again. (no huge loss) Shame really I was really enjoying the regular competition.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:52 pm

Hey, lets have a bit of respect for Malc.

He's gone out of his way to set us up a quiz. What ever he does won't be to everyone's liking. But its only a game!

Not much point in playing if you know all the answer's all the time - just becomes a test of who can press the buttons fastest then!

ffs - just play and have fun.

Perhaps a suggestion might be (if its not too much trouble to Malc) that he changes the category every week - instead of month - so people might be bad on one category one week but ok on another category the next - and visa-versa for other people - that way no one as an advantage over anyone else?

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:53 pm

Good shout Sluffy.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:55 pm

keveh wrote:Pft, I don't know the answers to most of the questions anyway.

Questions can be boring because of the subject they are on, not because I don't know the answers.

Questions on the anatomy of an ant will be boring compared to questions on football.
Fair enough.

I guessed two, got them right, and got a decent score.

Its got to be better than the race to push buttons fastest.
Sto ut Serviam

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:55 pm

I never said I was going to quit playing, just that this category was crap.

There are a shit load of topics to go through so I'll just sit these ones out, or have a couple of random answers quizzes.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:25 pm

5! :shock: I hope my children never find this site, Gertie!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.