Politics, The Election May 2015

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
30%
Conservatives
30%
Liberal Democrats
5%
UKIP
15%
Green Party
13%
SNP
3%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
5%

Total votes: 40

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Politics, The Election May 2015

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 04, 2015 11:44 am

^^
Aye, making lists of good intention can be done by ten-year olds. Carrying them out is just a bit more difficult.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:I'm pretty sure that's ^ not the right one.

That's been hilariously edited by a wag.
I thought so too! Little non-partisan snigger at the first one, then you sorta spot a bit of a pattern.

Probably hilariously thought up by someone who's been supporting a party in coalition for the last 5 years.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 04, 2015 6:28 pm

They've said more about what their immigration controls will be than the Tories have on where £12bn of welfare cuts are coming from. Something which is a damn sight more important than then both coming up with bullshit ways to cap things they know they can't cap, instead stopping non-EU students who contribute massively in money before fecking off coming, costing us money but meaning they have some numbers to spin.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 04, 2015 6:54 pm

Prufrock wrote:They've said more about what their immigration controls will be than the Tories have on where £12bn of welfare cuts are coming from. Something which is a damn sight more important than then both coming up with bullshit ways to cap things they know they can't cap, instead stopping non-EU students who contribute massively in money before fecking off coming, costing us money but meaning they have some numbers to spin.

aye - but pointing that stuff out is not really Bobo's bag!! (and he doesn't come on here anyway - he told us - many times!!) :wink:

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 pm

You couldn't make it up, so must be true! UKIP candidate for Wombwell ward in Barnsley....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/lots-p ... es-5633066" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon May 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:I'm pretty sure that's ^ not the right one.

That's been hilariously edited by a wag.
OIC. I was wondering what the Scots Nats had to do with it. I didn't know about the original which might have helped comprehension.... :( What a daft idea anyway.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Defo a daft idea. Say what you want about Alistair Campbell but that ^would never have happened on his watch. Still, Milifandom will prevail.

Try googling and understanding THAT Monty!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon May 04, 2015 10:08 pm

there are some interesting seat predictions here:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/interactives ... edictions/

currently:

cons: 279
lab: 270
SNP: 51
libD: 25
DUP: 9
Sinnfein: 5
plaid: 4
sdlp: 2
greens: 1
UKIP: 1
UUP: 1
other: 2

the POST to pass is 325 - ie, 326 is enough for a precarious majority of ONE

so,

Con + libDem+UKIP+DUP = not enough
lab + green + plaid + snp = exactly 326

it's hard to see how anyone (on these figures) will be able to make anything work for that long...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 pm

You only need 323 in practice as the speaker abstains and Sinn Fein don't take theirs (though there are rumour they would this time to block any Tory DUP coalition).

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 04, 2015 10:30 pm

They're always f*cking wrong anyway! People lie!

I'm not sure whether its interesting, encouraging or actually a little scary that we don't seem to be heading for a parliamentary majority for any party.

My real worry is that if the Tories can't scrape enough together (single issue that scares me about them is they are (and they are) planning to rip up the NHS. The rest is chip wrapper) then we'll see a lurch to the right post election to try to hoover back up the lunatic fringe that have splintered off to UKIP. That would be truly frightening, watching a bunch of Thatcherite Farage-a-likes wetting their pants over out of control unfettered freemarket idiocy, with a nice touch of veiled racism thrown in.

Could Labour and the Tories work together in power? Please don't laugh at the back - I'm reading an interesting book by David Reynolds at the moment in which he postulates that the moderate left we enjoy in this country staved off the kind of turmoil that the continent endured in the inter-war period and helped to in turn moderate the right in this country by providing a credible alternative if it didn't moderate itself.

I still think we'll end up with roughly the same government as we have now. Has Clegg the balls/stamina to stop the worst excesses for another 5 years?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 04, 2015 10:48 pm

:lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... women.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:They're always f*cking wrong anyway! People lie!

I'm not sure whether its interesting, encouraging or actually a little scary that we don't seem to be heading for a parliamentary majority for any party.

My real worry is that if the Tories can't scrape enough together (single issue that scares me about them is they are (and they are) planning to rip up the NHS. The rest is chip wrapper) then we'll see a lurch to the right post election to try to hoover back up the lunatic fringe that have splintered off to UKIP. That would be truly frightening, watching a bunch of Thatcherite Farage-a-likes wetting their pants over out of control unfettered freemarket idiocy, with a nice touch of veiled racism thrown in.

Could Labour and the Tories work together in power? Please don't laugh at the back - I'm reading an interesting book by David Reynolds at the moment in which he postulates that the moderate left we enjoy in this country staved off the kind of turmoil that the continent endured in the inter-war period and helped to in turn moderate the right in this country by providing a credible alternative if it didn't moderate itself.

I still think we'll end up with roughly the same government as we have now. Has Clegg the balls/stamina to stop the worst excesses for another 5 years?
They won't work together, there won't be any grand coalition, but whoever is in opposition will abstain a lot, I reckon.

There's all this talk about the SNP holding Labour to ransom over Trident et al...how the feck is that going to happen. Who gives a toss what Sturgeon thinks on it, it's irrelevant unless the Tories voted against renewing it, which they clearly won't. At worst they'll abstain, so it passes.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 04, 2015 11:42 pm

http://www.swapmyvote.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting take on trying to make your vote count. Probably a bit before its time, this election...

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon May 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:http://www.swapmyvote.uk/

Interesting take on trying to make your vote count. Probably a bit before its time, this election...
I did this. I'm voting Green in Bolton NE. In return a Green supporter is voting Labour in Warrington South (major Lab target).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 05, 2015 12:42 am

William the White wrote:

I did this. I'm voting Green in Bolton NE. In return a Green supporter is voting Labour in Warrington South (major Lab target).
Welcome back sir. I should be able to get away with trying to swap my vote in a safe labour seat with a UKIP marginal with a bit of luck. They're not that bright.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 05, 2015 8:59 am

what's to stop 1,000,000 labour voters promising to swap with 1,000,000 green voters - but then voting labour anyway?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 05, 2015 9:23 am

Lord Kangana wrote:

I'm really not so sure if this will work in practice. The LibDem constitution requires the party conference to approve a coalition deal... those who I know who are longstanding libdem-conference goers tell me that the libdem conference is quite unlikely to do that again - even IF the maths stacks up (which also doesn't look that likely)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 05, 2015 9:27 am

meanwhile - Russell Brand has abandonned his "don't vote" advice in favour of a qualified (they might be the best of a bad lot!) endorsement of Milliband... which might make a difference amongs his huge yoof-dominated twitter-followers...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue May 05, 2015 12:10 pm

Trust Labour? I'd rather trust Jimmy Savile to babysit, writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN
Sad, Sick Bastard!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 05, 2015 12:24 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Trust Labour? I'd rather trust Jimmy Savile to babysit, writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN
Sad, Sick Bastard!
in late election news shocker - Bish agrees with Hoboh entirely!

sick wanker...